VIP5662 and Slingbox - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-24, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

VIP5662 and Slingbox

I've hooked up my Bell 4K Whole-Home PVR to a Slingbox M1.
I previously had a Slingbox Pro, but I bought the M1 since it supports 1080p.

I hooked up the the Slingbox using Sling's reccomended adapter.

But I'm getting an 'Unsupported Signal' message. When I switch to 1080i, it's fine.
I think it must be to do with the refresh rate.

Does anyone know how I can force the box to output in the supported 30Hz? A hidden engineer's menu, perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-25, 01:27 AM

I don't see anything on the HDMI to component converter that says it supports 1080p. Most component connections only support 1080i. Do you have another device that outputs 1080p that you could use to test the converter?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-25, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

It does support 1080p. I have plugged the component connections from its output directly to my TV to test - and it displays correctly with the Bell PVR set to 1080p mode.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-25, 01:55 PM

OK. It sounds like your original diagnosis was correct. Does your TV display the resolution when you press the TV info button? Mine displays 1920x1080i @60 Hz (I don't have a 1080p source).

To answer your original question - I don't think there's any way to change the refresh rate that the PVR sends other than the pre-programmed choices in the settings menu.

Do you actually see a difference in picture quality on the PVR between 1080i and 1080p?

Were you able to buy that converter in Canada or did you have to ship it to a U.S. address?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-25, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

When I look at the Vizio system information screen, I see
Source Type: HDMI
Resolution: 1080p
Vertical Frequency: 60

According to Sling' documentation, 60Hz isn't supported. So I need to find a way to force the Bell box to output at 30Hz.

I bought the converter in the US - it's Sling's recommended one. There is a difference to me between 1080i and 1080p, I just need to find a way to force the Bell box to the lower frequency.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-25, 09:26 PM

Quote:
According to Sling' documentation, 60Hz isn't supported. So I need to find a way to force the Bell box to output at 30Hz.
I don't think you can do that in the Bell box. The reason I asked if you could see a difference between 1080i and 1080p is because Bell transmits their HD channels at 720p. Or are you planning on sending 4K channels downconverted to 1080p?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-07-25 at 09:43 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-26, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ah, I did not realise that Bell transmitted their channels at only 720p. So there's nothing to lose by setting my receiver to output at 720p?

Since I do have a 4K receiver, perhaps I should look at using something like this (in conjunction with a splitter). What do you think?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-26, 04:45 PM

If you are just watching HD channels, 720p should work fine. You can try the various settings to see which one works best.

I can't comment on the scaler box, except to say that you should make sure it is HDCP 2.2 compatible.

EDIT: I had another look at the scaler specs and it doesn't seem to have [email protected] as an output option, so it would still do [email protected]

If I understand things correctly, [email protected] contains the same amount of video information as [email protected], so I don't know if you actually end up with a better result than you have right now. I think a lot depends on the screen you use at the other end of the Slingbox.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-07-26 at 06:26 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I guess the scaler box would be OK since I can convert the 4K signal to [email protected], which is good enough for the Slingbox. I can then take the other output from the splitter and feed the 4K into my TV. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the comments.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-09, 04:34 PM
Rookie

trying to connect my slingbox 500 between my smart tv and the bell fibe vip5662W and it does not work either via component connections or HDMI connections. I am not able to configure the remote control to have it start the 5662. I was using an other receiver previously and it was working fine with the universal remote but none of the ones I tried to configure seems to work with this 4K converter. Any hints.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-09, 05:51 PM

According to this tool, the Slingbox 500 isn't compatible.

Slingbox.com - Find your virtual remote with the Supported Video Sources Tool

I tried several searches including Bell, VIP and 5662 - none found the 5662.

If you follow the previous suggestions, you might be able to get a picture, but you won't be able to use the Sling remote to control the Fibe TV box.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 08:59 AM

Not sure about the 5662 I have it but I don't have my sling connected to it, if you have another box in your home though you could use that and still connect to the PVR and such that's what I do and it works fine. No need to connect it to the PVR hub even off the other boxes you still have access to everything except 4k.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 04:13 PM
Rookie

The purpose is to have the slingbox giving me access to my bell fibe pvr boxe remotely when I will be in Florida. I used my slingboxe 500 many years with other set top boxes even with the previous version of the bell fibe which was not the 4k and it did work OK. This time I was wondering if it was possible to find a universal virtual remote control that will do the job to control the receiver. I want to change channels, start recording and list the previous recordings made, all that from outside the country, with the slingplayer running on my IPad and projected on the TV with appleTV connected to it. All of that was working fine with the previous non 4K receiver.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-10, 07:16 PM

@lemalin do you have any other Bell set-top boxes or do you just have the PVR?

Bell Fibe TV is a whole-home PVR, so any other Bell STB would have full access to the recordings, etc. and would be compatible with the Singbox 500.

The problem with using the 5662 PVR is that it uses different remote codes than the older Bell Fibe boxes and Slingbox hasn't updated their software to include those new codes.

The only way you could use a different universal virtual remote is if it was made to work over the Sling connection, which is very unlikely.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 09:34 AM
Rookie

I used to have an older set top boxe but not anymore. Do you know if slingbox is still updating their code. From what I see it does not seem to be happening soon since they even have closed their forum for discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in