VIP5662 and Slingbox - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 09:59 AM

I don't follow Sling that closely, so I don't know.

Another option is to use the Bell Fibe TV app. It allows you to stream most shows that you've recorded to your mobile device anywhere in the world. Normally streaming is limited to Canada due to copyright issues, but if a show is recorded on your PVR, Bell can usually stream it. The big limitation is it is restricted to your mobile screen, with the exception of computers which you can plug into the HDMI port of a TV. You can't use Airplay.

You can add or delete recordings as well.

See this thread if you want to discuss that option further:
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188...ml#post2999761
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 10:18 AM

Another option you have is if you have a computer at home and a good internet connection you can use the Bell Fibe TV app on a computer on your home network or even a fire stick and remote in that should give you access to everything. You may want to test it to ensure it's not choppy. If you still have your old Fibe box though, keep using it for the Sling application. Also, have you tried using the Sling with component connection from the box and not HDMI and downgrading the signal from the box to 720P? That could potentially also work.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 11:45 AM

@mgut using the 4K PVR or Amazon Fire Stick won't work since the Slingbox doesn't have the correct remote codes. Using a computer might work - I don't know enough about Slingbox to say. Slingbox supports Apple TV, but it might only be up to Apple TV 3. Renting or buying an old STB might be an option, depending on how important it is. If you buy a used STB, phone Bell with the serial number before you buy to be sure someone isn't trying to sell you a rented unit.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 05:23 PM
Rookie

I heard that the signal will not pass the border if I try to use the PC via belltv.ca since it is canadian base link. I have been told that using a VPN will do the trick since I will simulate that I am still in canada even if I am in the USA. For the projection to a TV I have done it many times with the HDMI port of the PC to the television but not since I have the bell fibe signal. I hope it will do the job.
Heard about the amazone firestick but not sure if it will pass the border. This bell fibe PVR is a mess for portability across the border in my opinion. I will presume this is what bell was looking after.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 06:16 PM

Read the link I posted - this is a new feature that allows Bell to stream a copy of the program that you've recorded on your Fibe PVR anywhere in the world. If you haven't rerecorded it, you can only stream in Canada.

The Amazon Fire TV Stick is discussed later in the same thread - you can only use it to stream Fibe TV in your own home. Even a VPN won't help with that.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-15, 12:17 AM
DHC Supporter

lemalin: I have my Slingbox 500 working with the Telus Arris 5662 but I had to use the remote from an old Telus Cisco box iirc. Also the box your connecting the slingbox to needs the resolution cranked down to 720p.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-16, 10:18 AM

@Jaygeetee are you saying that you can control the 5662 from another location by using the Slingbox virtual remote?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-16, 03:00 PM
DHC Supporter

Yes,I can control my 5662 PVR from anywhere.
I have a dedicated vip5602 which is the wifi stb and talks to the vip5662 PVR.
When I log into the Slingbox app the Cisco remote shows up on my laptop and tablet screens and works very well however on my iphone the remote control shows up as a D-pad, numeric pad and all...have not figured that one out.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2018-12-17, 12:17 PM

The remote on the phone version of the slingbox sucks it's the same with Android where you have to use the various screens but you don't see a physical remote like you do on the computer / tablet version. That's what I figured about the resolution for the PVR issue as I mentioned above dropping it to 720P although the remote thing is new to me but I guess if it works that's great!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 07:23 PM
Rookie

I'm new to slingbox, do I find this Telus Cisco box iirc under device type during setup ? I'm trying to connect a slingbox 500 to an arris vip5662w. Thanks
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-03-10, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Jaygeetee: can you please share what I have to do go get this working ? thanks
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 01:11 AM
DHC Supporter

mhopey: Sorry for the delay...first you must set your arris stb to 720p, then both component and HDMI will work...I'm assuming you have the component breakout adapter.
In the setup for Telus I put in ISB7000 Series. This shows up as an old remote but it works. I think the Slingbox 500 is getting long in the tooth and not getting updates.
KOW mine still works good although I rarely use it.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 01:00 PM
Rookie

Jaygeetee: thanks for the reply. Not sure about component breakout cable, does this come with slingbox 500 or purchased separately ? Can you explain physical connection from arris stb -> slingbox500 -> TV ? I apologize total newbie here.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-03-29, 12:03 PM
DHC Supporter

You should be able to get this adapter from any Telus installer/repairman...they carry them in their vehicles...ask for a component breakout adapter.
You connect the red/blue/green video and red/white audio from this adapter to Slingbox IN. Connect HDMI cable from Arris to Slingbox IN and HDMI cable from Slingbox OUT to your TV.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2019-03-29, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for the help. I'm in New Brunswick and so it sounds like Bell Aliant would carry. I'm still confused about this breakout adapter, what does the breakout adapter connect too in addition to Slingbox IN ? Also is there any way you could provide a link to a component breakout adapter and it might help me understand the connection better. I guess I don't understand why the HDMI is not suffice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in