Bell fiber run in cracks of sidewalk - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By thenewdc

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs down Bell fiber run in cracks of sidewalk

I am a Bell Fibe FTTH customer in Toronto. I migrated from copper to fiber this spring and was told the fiber cable would be fished/pulled through the same underground conduit used for the copper line. Turns out this was a lie. While trimming my lawn last night, I discovered the black Corning Fiber Optic cable is actually run in the seams / joints of the public sidewalk in front my house, down the street to the pedestal box on the corner. . Is this normal Bell practice? Unbelievable!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 10:13 AM

I think the main concern in an installation is to get the customer going right away. Any problems or obstacles to getting the cable/wire/fiber installed properly are circumvented by doing a quick and sometimes sloppy job that will later be taken care of by another crew. This seems to be standard practice, especially if installations are in the winter. I've seen cable just thrown across the back yard during a winter installation. I suspect if you phone, they'll say they're coming back at a later date.

elyk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 10:27 AM

Rogers will push coaxial drops just below sod and consider that a burial...so this doesn't surprise me. And this is a workable solution, until you aerate your lawn.
@elyk is probably correct; likely a temporary solution. If there is indeed a conduit from the pedestal to your home, another crew will be along at some point to fish it.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

The fiber was originally run as a temporary aerial drop.. it was run from the pedestal up a street sign, across to a stop sign and then over to a tree branch and then to my house. Bell did come back a few weeks later to remove the aerial drop and I was told it was pulled through the conduit. But I can clearly see the cable in the crack between the sidewalk and the curb all the way down my street... Bell is sending a crew to investigate.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 11:36 AM
Veteran

The issue is probably with the contractor as well as Bell. Bell doesn't pay contractors enough so they take shortcuts. The people who work for contractors are often not well trained or have restrictions placed on them. I had a contractor out for inside wiring once who was only allowed to run cables on the surface. He refused to use cable runways I had already chased. I ended up with cabling stapled to molding all over the house. I had him redo some of it so he left sharp staple sticking out where he literally ripped it out. I missed one spot where he ran the new cable into an ancient junction box and cable (that I was going to remove) for about 10', then out the junction box at the other end. These days, I'll run the cabling myself rather than put up with such incompetence. I realize this is an outdoor cable run so it's not possible to do it yourself but it just illustrates what can happen with some installers.
Jase88 likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 12:41 PM
Veteran

Back in the late 90s, when I first got a cable modem from Rogers, they needed to run the coax from one end of my condo, where the cable came in (the wall between my living room & master bedroom), to the other end, where my "office" is. The first guy who showed up wanted to staple the cable along the baseboards, around door frames etc. I refused. They then sent a 2 man crew who fished the wire up a wall, alongside air ducts, over the bathroom ceiling, into the laundry room, down the wall and through it into the closet in my office. They did a very nice job, with the cable only showing in the laundry room and the office closed. They even patched the holes in the drywall they made to fish the cable. I also had them pull in 2 runs of CAT5, so I could extend my network to my living room & master bedroom. As I said, a very nice job.

So, if you think an installer is going to do a lousy job, refuse it and have them send someone else to do a proper job.

BTW, several years ago, Cogeco stapled the black coax right down the middle of my sister's living room wall, ignoring the fact that staples don't hold well in drywall!

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-18, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Ran into a similar issue with a new cable install. The existing cable from the street box was no good so they wanted to string a "temporary" cable from the neighbor's outside box. They said it would take six months to install the permanent cable. I'd heard horror stories about situations like this and said no thanks. I then told Rogers to delay the installation and service start until the permanent cable could be installed. They were back in 4 weeks. Wait times for cable burial have improved since then.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Update

Bell sent a tech July 20, but could not find the cable.

2nd tech came July 22, but was not trained on fiber or FTTH.. so had no opinion.. He wouldn't admit it was Bell's cable, or even mine (could be your neighbour?) However he did hide the exposed black Corning Fiber Optic cable at the pedestal.

3rd tech vist was supposed to happen this week, but I haven't heard back.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-28, 09:49 AM
Veteran

They are supposed to punch it under the sidewalk with a duct all the way to the demarc at your house. It looks like the contractor took a shortcut.
Deanoyyz likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-29, 10:19 PM
Veteran

Running cables under sidewalks and driveways is not a big deal these days but the contractor needs the right equipment to be able to do it. If they send someone out without the right equipment, and that will be most small contractors, it won't get done. Someone showing up after the fact will have a difficult time locating a fibre optic cable unless it has a copper tracer alongside it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-30, 10:55 AM
Veteran

It may not be a big deal on a driveway as its your property, but running cables under a sidewalk is on Municipal property and if the city decides to re-do the sidewalks and is unaware of the cables running under it you may having your cables cut if the sidewalk is concrete instead of asphalt?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-30, 01:56 PM
Veteran

Running cable under sidewalk is a standard practice. If the sidewalk is redone and cables cut then Bell or Rogers will come and install new cables. We had our street redone and some sidewalks replaced few years ago and many people had their cables cut.
I was actually surprised because this was the best time for Bell and Rogers to replace all the cables but I guess it does not work that way.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-30, 03:53 PM
Veteran

Cable and telephone companies have agreements with cities and municipalities on where and how they may run cables on public property. That includes rentals for use of resources such as underground tunnels and utility poles.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-30, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It may not be a big deal on a driveway as its your property, but running cables under a sidewalk is on Municipal property and if the city decides to re-do the sidewalks and is unaware of the cables running under it you may having your cables cut if the sidewalk is concrete instead of asphalt?
Cable locations are supposed to be recorded and cables must be located before any digging starts. Failure to do that leaves the contractor libel.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-07-30, 11:28 PM
Veteran

When they buried the TV cable under several sidewalks and driveways here, they had everything between the street box and the house located including gas and water. (Hydro is overhead.) The TV and telephone cables are buried well above other utilities as well. Never mind that the TV cables have been dug up and damaged twice by some idiot contractor digging in someone's driveway, they still bury them about 4 to 6 inches deep, if that. The telephone cable in our front yard has been exposed a couple of times due to being "buried" at ground level. We can't even cut the lawn or pull weeds without running into telephone and TV cables.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in