Bell 4K Whole-Home PVR & Xbox One S device control - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-06-10, 09:47 AM

All the previous PVRs and STBs used the same remote codes and the remotes were interchangeable. For some reason, Bell's supplier decided to use different remote codes on the 4K box, so none of the old IR remotes will work.

The only IR remote that I know works for sure is the Harmony, as reported in the 4K thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpv View Post
My Harmony One runs the 4K pvr just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-06-11, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Do you know what brand/model has to be set up in the Harmony to get it to work? So I know what I can configure on my XBox?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-06-11, 09:03 AM

Harmony has an online comparability checker here:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

They accept BELL FibeTV as the manufacturer (the actual manufacturer is Arris) and VIP5662 or VIP5662W as the model number and it says all Harmony remotes are compatible.

I think if you use Arris VIP5662, it assumes the Arris firmware and software which uses different remote codes than the Mediaroom software that most telco TV providers actually use.

Unlike most remotes the Harmony is configured using PC software, so the code database is continuously updated.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

From reading this thread:
https://community.logitech.com/s/fee...1000050zlVaCAI

It sounds like the Harmony remotes can control the VIP5662 by IR. But the XBox one simply won't. Perhaps Microsoft haven't updated the XBox One S database yet. I can't find anyone that is reporting success with the XBox One S.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

OK, so I went out and bought a second remote - a non-bluetooth one.
And the damn thing still won't work!
I pulled out the batteries from the Bluetooth remote. I then pulled out the power on the receiver. Waited 30 seconds, and put the power back on.
But the receiver just won't respond to any commands on the IR remote.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 01:31 PM

I don't think Bell sells an IR remote for the 4K PVR, which uses different codes from the other Fibe TV boxes.

I'm stumped why you can't get the 4K PVR to switch to IR mode - maybe someone else has some ideas. (I don't live in Bell territory.)
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 01:45 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I don't know if this applies here but the newer Rogers boxes can work with IR or RF (new RF remote). In order to "pair" the RF remote with the box for RF, there are certain button presses required. In order to "unpair" the remote so that the box works for IR again requires a different set of button presses. You may need to contact Bell to see if they have this procedure, or if there's a Bell forum, look for a thread on the topic or ask there.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I can't find any information on any forums - I've been searching for months now.

I can find reports of people saying that a Logitech Harmony to work the the box. But I've tried a Slingbox and XBox One S, both of which have IR blasters, and neither worked.

Did find this earlier on the Bell website which should seem to suggest that the ONLY Bell remote that will work with this box is the Bluetooth one (see the '2' reference).

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 03:05 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaught83 View Post
1. I can find reports of people saying that a Logitech Harmony to work the the box.

2. But I've tried a Slingbox and XBox One S, both of which have IR blasters, and neither worked.

3. Did find this earlier on the Bell website which should seem to suggest that the ONLY Bell remote that will work with this box is the Bluetooth one (see the '2' reference).
1. So, the Harmony may work as discussed earlier, provided the box is set to receive IR (or both IR & BT). As discussed earlier, the Harmony code database is updated as new devices come out, so that the Harmony can be programmed since it's connected to the Internet to programme. I have not found any IR devices that have not worked with a Harmony remote.

2. The codes for the 4K PVR may not be present in those two devices. This is not atypical for newer equipment and there may not be a way to update the code database on these devices, although a firmware update may do so...

3. But it doesn't say that. It says the BT remote only works with the 4K PVR, not that the 4K PVR doesn't accept IR.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

All of that is true.
But I'm starting to think the Harmony uses Bluetooth to control the receiver, rather than IR.

What I cannot find a definite answer to is:
1. Does the PVR definitely have a IR receiver;
2. ...and if it does, is it disabled by the Bell/Mediaroom software?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaught83 View Post
I can find reports of people saying that a Logitech Harmony to work the the box. But I've tried a Slingbox and XBox One S, both of which have IR blasters, and neither worked.
I checked the online Slingbox database using Bell and VIP in the search box. The VIP5662 didn't show up in the list of supported devices, but all the other VIP boxes do.

Slingbox.com - Find your virtual remote with the Supported Video Sources Tool

I didn't check the Xbox One S.

Quote:
But I'm starting to think the Harmony uses Bluetooth to control the receiver, rather than IR.
Regular Harmony remotes don't have a Bluetooth transmitter - they only use IR. The only Harmony remotes that control Bluetooth devices such as the Sony PlayStation use the Harmony Hub.

You'll notice in Bell's comparison chart that Universal Remotes can work with the 4K PVR (they don't have a number 2 beside them.)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-27, 09:07 PM
Veteran

I like the MXv4 as the entire keys light up in a organge colour compared to theMXv3(green lights) only some keys light up. Not sure of the slim/bluetooth remotes.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-29, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Amazing news!! It seems Microsoft have heard my prayers (or read my threads on this and their forums!)

Every month or so I run through the device setup on my XBox One S to see if I can get to work with my VIP5662W, without success.

Today though, appears to be my lucky day!

I ran through the setup menu as usual. I input the reciever as Bell, and the test failed, as it always does, and tells me it can't find my receiver. At the end of the test it gives you the option to manually select one.

Lo and behold...now when you input the manufacturer as Bell, there is a new option 'BluetoothSlim' as the model! AND IT WORKS!!!

Thank you Microsoft. Only took you a year...
I hope this helps others to be able to get their XBox to control their VIP5662W.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2017-07-29, 12:38 PM

Good for you (per paragraph 2, post 24). Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in