Bell Fibe Alt TV streaming service - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 12:26 PM

So it doesn't appear to be anything different from a technical standpoint. As a FIBE TV subscriber, I've long been able to go Bell TV FIBE and watch the channels on my computer or tablet that I subscribe to. I don't know if it counts toward my internet usage as this new situation doesn't appear to, but it seems like the same thing. So now someone can subscribe to this ability without subscribing to FIBE TV with all the PVR and other hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

@elyk I agree - all they've done is repackage the existing streaming add-ons to remove the need for a set-top box. They've reduced the price of the standard packages slightly, but the a la carte channels look the same.

I looked at the Android app on the Play Store and they've changed the description, but the app hasn't changed since March.
"For Fibe TV and Alt TV clients in Ontario and Quebec and Satellite TV in Canada."

Under "Offer details," they say that viewing with Apple TV 4 is only available within your home, which is the same restriction that the app has when used with regular Fibe TV.

It also looks like the mobile and web apps will have the same restriction as Fibe TV - some content cannot be viewed outside the home.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-05-15 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 02:55 PM

Interesting that they say: "Alt TV offers access to 2 TV streams at a time and customers can add individual channels to build their own Alt TV packages."

I know I've opened 3 instances of FIBE TV on my PC and there's no problem watching 3 different channel streams at once. I suppose I could continue to add until my internet speed couldn't handle it any more. I don't have 25M service, only 15M, so I wonder why it's limited to 2 TV streams. If there were 4 tablets in the home, why not 4 TV shows?

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 04:24 PM
Veteran

You can have 4 tablets but can use only 2 at a time because it is a downgraded service from Fibe Tv.
This Alt TV will be useless service, since customers are required to sub to Bell"s internet service and regular price for the internet 25/10 is almost $90. Bundle savings will not apply to starter package as well.
Customers will still have to call Loyalty Department to get some kind of a discount on the internet cost.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Bell's ability to completely miss the point is truly astounding.
CamDAB likes this.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-16, 03:24 PM

Packages are pricee slightly less than FibeTV. They only have Apple TV as a device for the big screen... it would great to have included the ROKU steaming device. No cloud PVR.

For those who don't have FibeTV available in there neighbourhoods, why would they leave Rogers TV with PVR capabilities. I guess Alt TV could have included an option ($10-15 dollars) for a cloud PVR which would price it closer to Fibe TV. For the cord cutters, I guess you can't be too choosy, since there is a lack of viable choices in Canada...
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-19, 08:33 AM
N8M

I was hoping they would add Chromecast support, but it doesn't seem like that is happening.

If that was the case, I could return all my STBs and have one less device hooked up to each TV.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-20, 09:21 AM

Tired of Bell not supporting other devices such as ROKU and Chromecast for FibeTV and AltTV , this has been going on far TOO long... I've rented on demand movies through my STB but from now on I'll go through my ROKU and rent them from CINEPLEX app. Small measure but whatever it takes to get their attention by hitting them in the pocketbook.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-22, 08:14 AM
Veteran

The only thing that will force Bell to introduce more choices to customers is cord cutting.
After Bell introduced Alt Tv I am really considering cutting the cord. This is the only way that eventually providers will introduce service that will attract cord cutters or customers like me who want only small selection of channels.

I called Bell and the cost of Bell Alt Tv is over $100 this is more than what I am paying for Bell Fibe.
What a joke.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-23, 04:56 PM

Alt TV is not really $100 in itself, but does require a minimum Fibe 25 Internet package with unlimited monthly usage because it's a pure IPTV service. You do get to surf the internet as well, so consider it a bundle offer. Bell is assuming you already wanted the Internet package, and can entice you into a TV upgrade. The amount you save is roughly equivalent to the amount that would have been spent on a set-top box rental. Rogers is behind on their own IPTV product roadmap, scheduled to launch some time in early 2018. As a Roger's customer, I would love to be able to ditch my space-hogging set to box, in favour of Apple TV or laptop.

Alt TV is is not for everyone. For example, it doesn't have a PVR capability. I expect Bell will continue to develop enhancements and features to this service by the time Rogers rolls their own competition out.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-23, 05:24 PM
Veteran

It is hard to consider it a bundle offer when Bell will not give bundle discount.
Why would anyone take this option is beyond me. With Bell Fibe I get discount for the bundle and I have option to to keep only Fibe Tv and no need to have Bell's internet.
I have free PVR rental and two wireless receivers. I did not have to spend a penny on the equipment.
This new service actually costs a lot more and i doubt it will attract any cord cutters.
I have very little hope that Rogers will provide something better.
Most likely we will never see similar services that are available in the states unless cord cutting will continue and eventually providers will be forced to provide real options.
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-05-03, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Bell mentioned in their quarterly report that they added support for Amazon Fire TV Stick (Basic Edition) and Google certified Android TV (Sony Android TVs, NVIDIA SHIELD TV and Xiaomi Mi Box) in addition to Apple TV.

I also saw that they have a promo for a Fibe 50 unlimited + Alt TV + CraveTV bundle for $64.95/month (savings of $38/month for 1 year.)
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-05-03, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
It is hard to consider it a bundle offer when Bell will not give bundle discount.
Why would anyone take this option is beyond me. With Bell Fibe I get discount for the bundle and I have option to to keep only Fibe Tv and no need to have Bell's internet.
I have free PVR rental and two wireless receivers. I did not have to spend a penny on the equipment.
This new service actually costs a lot more and i doubt it will attract any cord cutters.
I have very little hope that Rogers will provide something better.
Most likely we will never see similar services that are available in the states unless cord cutting will continue and eventually providers will be forced to provide real options.
99% of the time people are mis-informed. im not trying to defend bell here, I am just chiming in when I read mis-information. The Bell Alternative TV package may not have a bundle discount, but it DOES have a price discount compared to the fibe tv package. The Alternative TV Starter package is $15, and the Fibe TV Starter package is $25

Internet: Fibe 25 (fixed cost for both)
Fibe TV Starter: $25
Alt TV Starter: $15
Fibe PVR Box renal: $20
Fibe Secondary Box Rental: $7
Alt TV Rental : NOT APPLICABLE, ITS ALT, THERE IS NO BOX

Like i said earlier, im not siding with Bell on this one but I already see $37 in savings for someone who watches starter tv on their Alternative tv package compared to bell fibe tv. That is probably a good damn reason why someone who wants to take that kind of package
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-05-03, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
Alt TV Rental : NOT APPLICABLE, ITS ALT, THERE IS NO BOX
You will probably need a box to watch it on your TV (if you don't already have one.)

The cheapest is probably the Amazon Fire TV Stick for around $50 or you can use a computer if you have one you can connect to your TV.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-05-03, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Actually the cheapest is to watch it on a laptop and connect the hdmi output of your laptop to the hdmi input of your TV and watch it that way, this is the cheapest, why? because I have done it in the past and it works, it may not be the most "IDEAL" WAY since you have a bunch of cables lying around and you still need your laptop to run to change channels and what not, but yes, a fire stick or android is probably the next step from free, and costs a "small" amount of money but will pay itself off in the long run

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in