Bell Fibe Alt TV streaming service - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan
Most likely there will not be recording available since it would make just duplicate service to Fibe tv.
DVR's and recording have been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I'm wondering why users would want recording if it's a streaming service? The reason I record stuff is to watch it later when I want, but can't you watch shows at any time with a streaming service? Or do I not understand what this service is about?

Is this like Chromecast where I could subscribe to Netflix and watch YouTube videos, but it also comes with a FIBE app that allows network shows and ability to subscribe to HBO Now, etc? It's all a bit confusing to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

@elyk the reason it's so confusing is that Bell didn't provide any specifics - all we know for sure is that "something" is supposed to be coming in 4 to 6 weeks. See post 12.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-07, 07:52 AM
Rookie

I was just reading about Hulu's new offering. If this is similar to what Bell is considering, could be very interesting.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/03/hulu-live-tv-service/

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-07, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Here's the thread we have on this forum discussing Hulu:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-...-u-s-only.html

I personally don't think Bell will take the same approach - keep in mind that $40 US = about $55 Canadian. They will probably look for an entry price that will be more appealing to cord-cutters.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-07, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave
keep in mind that $40 US = about $55 Canadian.
And there's also the extra cost of subscribing to unlimited internet with any of these streaming services as when compared to standard FIBE TV which doesn't require this feature.
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-07, 12:51 PM
Veteran

Not necessarily, you can get unlimited 100Mbps for $39.99. Bell Fibe does not require the Internet but almost everyone needs one anyway.
The reason people do not want Bell's Internet with Bell Fibe because Bell charges too much for too little.
The new service from Bell will most likely be similar to Telus Pik Tv.
I hope that Bell will offer more than one tv option and Bell's Internet will not be required the same as it is not required with Bell Fibe now.

Last edited by bev fan; 2017-05-07 at 01:56 PM.
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-08, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm wondering why users would want recording if it's a streaming service?
That's because it's actually two services combined. The streaming is a repackaged CraveTV. The "new" service is IPTV that provides real time broadcasting similar to FibeTV. It's the FibeTV-like portion of the service that requires a PVR.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-08, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
It's the FibeTV-like portion of the service that requires a PVR.
Ahhh OK. Makes sense.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-08, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
Not necessarily, you can get unlimited 100Mbps for $39.99.
Really? From Bell?

That's not even a promo offer here: Fibe 50 Unlimited is $65.95 for the first year and $89.95 thereafter.

And yes, Fibe 50 is the max available speed for most Fibe customers.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-08, 08:07 PM
Veteran

I did not mention anything about Bell's internet, but rather meant services like Carrytel, Vmedia, Teksavvy, Start, Cannet and many others.

Personally I do not even care what Bell's promos are. I am paying $50 for 50Mbps unlimited internet with Bell and the discount is good for 2 years and after that I do not have to stay with them if I do not get decent discount.

I may reconsider Bell's offer once new service is available as I need only hand full of channels.
It may be difficult dhough to switch to the new service as I love AMC channel and mostly record all my shows so if the new service does not have PVR functionality it will be hard to make that decision.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-08, 08:13 PM

Carrytel? Limited footprint; not available here!

Best I see is start.ca, offering 120mbps (cable rather than fttn) at $85/mo for unlimited.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan
I am paying $50 for 50Mbps unlimited internet with Bell and the discount is good for 2 years and after that I do not have to stay with them if I do not get decent discount.
That's the trouble will Bell, we only get good prices if it's a special discount (usually begged for). Every time I look at something cheaper I have to consider that if I drop any of my three services to Bell, I lose the $15 PVR discount and the $3 bundle discount on TV and the $2 bundle discount on internet, so any new service would have to be $20 better just to break even.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

If you look at George Cope's comments that I posted earlier, he mentioned that "...it is important to our drive towards Internet subscriptions." That tells me that Fibe internet will be a requirement for this new service.

Regarding recording capability - it is more likely that this service will resemble Telus' Pik TV or Bell's http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-...le-tv-4-a.html, where you can watch live and stream current episodes from the VOD library. While it's not a perfect substitute for a PVR, it will be "good enough" for people who have cut the cord and decided they can live without a PVR. I don' think Bell will be going out of their way to encourage people to drop Fibe TV and choose the new service.
Quote:
Frankly, in terms of whether or not people will migrate from one product to another, that is an harder call, other than to say if there are customers who are cutting the cord from our TV service or another TV service, part of the strategy around this approach will clearly be to make sure we are in the marketplace, to have an offer for that customer.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Alt TV from Bell lets you watch live TV content - without a traditional television subscription or set-top box
Full Press Release

Bell today launched Fibe Alt TV, a completely new way to watch live and on-demand television. With no traditional TV subscription or set-top box required, Alt TV is accessed through the best-in-class Fibe TV app and offers up to 500 channels on the screen of your choice.

• Alt TV is Canada's first widely available app-based live TV service
  • Watch up to 500 live and on-demand channels on a laptop, tablet, smartphone or TV
  • Alt TV starts at $14.95 per month – learn more about the new way to watch TV at Bell.ca/AltTV
"The ways Canadians watch television continue to evolve, and Alt TV is another example of how Bell's scale and industry-leading investment consistently deliver the latest viewing innovations to consumers," said Wade Oosterman, Group President for Bell and BCE, and Bell's Chief Brand Officer. "With its unmatched range of exclusive features, Fibe TV has taken Bell to the #1 spot in Canadian television in a few short years, while Bell Media's CraveTV has become the top Canadian on-demand TV streaming service. Alt TV is yet another revolutionary new option from Bell providing choice, quality and convenience in live television viewing."

Initially available to qualifying Bell Fibe Internet customers in Ontario and Québec, and coming to Atlantic Canada and Manitoba, Alt TV offers access to up to 500 live and on-demand channels, more than any comparable service in the world.

Available with select Fibe Internet packages and starting at $14.95 per month for more than 30 channels, including the major Canadian and US networks, Alt TV offers access to 2 TV streams at a time and customers can add individual channels to build their own Alt TV packages.

Consumers don't need to worry about data usage or fees when viewing Alt TV at home. Like Bell's Fibe TV service, Alt TV operates as a licensed broadcast service on the privately managed Bell Fibe broadband network for in-home viewing, and on mobile or Wi-Fi networks outside the home.

Alt TV is accessed through the breakthrough Fibe TV app, which offers automatic in-home authentication and lets you search the full range of Alt TV programming, see the top trending shows live, and continue watching on-demand content previously started. You can watch on laptops, smartphones, tablets and Apple TV 4th Generation, with availability on Android TV later this year.

"Canadians love TV and want to explore affordable new options to expand their live television experience beyond traditional options. With Alt TV, you get great TV at a great price – all the major networks, news and sports, live and on-demand on any screen you want, at home, at work or on the go," said Rizwan Jamal, President of Bell Residential and Small Business Services. "Bell changed the television game with Fibe, and today we're proud to take Canadian TV further with the convenient and affordable Alt TV."

For more information, please visit Bell.ca/AltTV, call 310-Bell, or drop into a Bell store or The Source.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-05-15, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Alt TV requires a subscription to an eligible Fibe Internet package starting with Fibe 25 at $84.95/mo. which includes download speeds of up to 25 Mbps, upload speeds of up to 10 Mbps and unlimited monthly usage. Activation fees apply.
I haven't verified the packages, but they look the same as regular Fibe TV. Prices are slightly cheaper and include a $7 bundle discount for Fibe internet (except Starter.)

Starter $14.95/mo.
Good $42.95/mo.
Better $68.95/mo.
Best $103.95/mo.

À la carte can be added to the above packages - Individual channels From $4.00/mo.
10 channels for $20.00/mo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in