Fibe TV available on Apple TV 4 - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-16, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

@pmcd I moved your post to this thread, since a lot of your issues about Apple TV were covered here. My comments aren't based on personal experience.

The Apple TV has to be on your Bell home network to access Fibe TV. It doesn't seem to matter if it's on the same subnet. The Home Hub 3000 has 3 Wi-Fi radios - one 5 GHz is reserved for Fibe TV boxes, leaving one 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz for your own devices. If you disable Wi-Fi on the 3000, it only affects the 2 user radios and won't cause a problem with the Fibe TV boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-17, 01:41 PM

Whether it’s Apple TV, Android TV or Fire TV are these considered set-top boxes when used at home? This becomes an issue when viewing Crave. If they aren’t considered set-top boxes then you have the two stream limitation which Crave imposes on media devices outside of your home.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-18, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

@pmcd Apple TV, Android TV, etc. aren't set-top boxes. They run a version of the Bell Fibe TV app that also runs on mobile devices, which gives them a lot of the capabilities of a STB, but they aren't complete substitutes in all circumstances.

They can watch up to 500 channels through the Fibe TV app, including Crave or Crave Plus (includes HBO and the former TMN) content if you subscribed through Bell Fibe TV. In that sense it's similar to a STB.

If you watch Crave directly through the Crave app on Apple TV, that would count towards the 2 device limit on Crave.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-11-18 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-18, 01:37 PM

@Dr.Dave

If you watch Crave on Apple TV using the Bell Fibe TV app does that count towards the 2 device limit?
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-18, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure Crave doesn't even know that you're watching their content through the Fibe TV app. I think they only count users of the Crave app, but I don't have any personal experience.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 08:38 AM

Any idea when pause and rewind will come to Apple TV? I really want to ditch a couple of my wifi set-top boxes but I find that I use pause a lot. An offshore Bell tech rep spent one hour on the phone with me insisting the option was available. I think the "coming soon" note has been on their website since inception.
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 01:23 PM

@techgrrl

Last June I was considering getting Alt TV but was told I need Fibe TV to allow my Apple TV 4s to pause live tv. I phoned Bell several times and was assured that was the case. I didnít bother. They had just put in ftth in our area. A month or so ago Bell sales came to our door and offered us Fibe TV + gigabit Fibe at a very good price, and assured us we would only need the 4K pvr and that we would be able to use our Apple TVs to pause. They even phoned tech support and they told us that. It turned out to not be the case and we ended up having to rent a receiver, which was annoying as we owned our Rogersí boxes and I personally dislike TV receivers. I was really impressed with Fibe TV and internet so I didnít cancel the whole package (I was going to as they refused to throw in the receiver for free until the Apple TV could pause. In fact ever time I think of it I feel like returning to Rogers). Tech support for Fibe is really hit and miss via the phone. Bell does have a very good tech support online over at dslreports. They confirmed it doesnít pause and that they couldnít give a time frame.

I would just assume that feature is not available. It could be months or years for all we know. The same is true for Android TV or the FireStick. I only use the Apple TV as a receiver even though the PVR is plugged in to our 4K TV. My wife likes live tv for news and uses the receiver. The Apple TV does pause for recordings.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 01:54 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe that the reason that they don't allow pausing live TV via AppleTV is because this basically sets up another recording at their end, requiring (cloud) resources to do that. That would cost a lot of money for hardware.

You can pause recordings because those (cloud, PVR & restart) resources are already being used and paid for with your Fibe services.

Over on Rogers with their new IgniteTV (IPTV) they only allow for pausing your recordings (which are done in the cloud) for up to 15 minutes instead of the hour that it was on local PVRs. At this point in time Rogers doesn't allow for AppleTV (or boxes other than Rogers) Rogers does have "Anyplace", but I believe Anyplace also has restrictions similar to Bell (if not more strict) for viewing via various devices like phones, tablets, computers. What's available also depends on if you're on the digital TV (old) service or the (new) IgniteTV - for example downloads.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 02:43 PM

@57

Couldnít the Apple TV set up a recording to the local pvr? If what you are saying is true then wouldnít the ability to pause using the Apple TV would carry over to Alt TV? How do the Bell receivers pause? Are they doing it in the cloud? Canít only be via the pvr as you can restart going back quite a long time.

I hope they get the Apple TV to pause as itís a joy to use the Fibe TV app.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Can you start a recording on the PVR, start to watch the recording in progress on the Apple TV 4 and pause that? Does restart work on the Apple TV 4?

Alt TV is very limited on features and channel selection. Maybe that's why it is so inexpensive. As stated on the Alt TV web page under Compare TV Services.

Alt TV:
1. Watch on more than 2 screens simultaneously - NO
2. Best picture quality, up to 4K - NO
3. Record shows - NO
3. Pause and rewind live TV - NO
4. Restart shows in progress or from the past 30 hours - NO
5. Included receiver and remote - NO

Fibe TV is YES to all of those.

Quote:
Bell sales came to our door and offered us Fibe TV + gigabit Fibe at a very good price, and assured us we would only need the 4K pvr and that we would be able to use our Apple TVs to pause.
Don't believe anything the door to door sales reps say. It's a separate company using the Bell name and they've outright lied to me to obtain a sale.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
...How do the Bell receivers pause? Are they doing it in the cloud? Can’t only be via the pvr as you can restart going back quite a long time.
When you press pause on a STB, the live stream is buffered to the PVR's hard drive and read back from there when you press resume.

Restart is a different feature which is done in the cloud for Fibe TV PVR and STBs. It's not available for Apple TV hardware.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 05:17 PM

@ Dr.Dave

So if it’s handled by the local PVR then perhaps there is hope for the Apple TV 4K?
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 05:23 PM
Veteran

I've solved the problem on another service by starting a recording on the PVR and using a dumb receiver to watch that. Pause and all other controls work because it is treated as an archived recording. Maybe this will work with the Fibe PVR and the Apple TV 4.

It sounds like the app on the Apple TV 4 needs to be upgraded with better integration for the Fibe PVR. That's probably up to Bell.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 06:37 PM

Hmm ... not sure what you mean. If I record a show, I can watch it on a Bell receiver immediately. But the Apple TV, via the Fibe app, sees the recording and indicates you canít watch it until the recording is finished. It would be nice to be able to trick the Apple TV into thinking it is finished, but I just donít see how.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

STBs read the recording from the PVR's hard drive, so you can watch recordings in real time. You can stop watching on one STB and pick up where you left off on another STB.

Apple TVs (and Android TVs and Amazon) use the Fibe TV app to watch recordings in the cloud. That's why you can't watch the recording until after it has completed. Cloud recordings are only retained for 45 days - after that you have to watch it on a STB,

Bell has more info in their support section - click on the "+" beside "Fibe TV app" and choose Apple TV or any other topic that interests you.
https://support.bell.ca/fibe_tv

@pmcd I don't know how they plan to pause live TV for Apple TV. I don't think the Apple TV can access the PVR directly. Even setting a recording on the Apple TV is done through the cloud, with the message being passed from the cloud to the PVR.

It might depend on whether that feature is available in MediaFirst or if they plan to implement it. See:
Ericssonís MediaFirst TV Platform coming to Fibe TV
pmcd likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in