Fibe TV available on Apple TV 4 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 2017-07-22, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

@control When Bell announced Alt TV they said they plan to make it available on Android TV later this year, so that seems the most likely platform. The streaming functionality would be the same with Alt TV and Fibe TV, but they would have to add in the PVR access. Whether they go ahead with that schedule is an open question, since I don't think Alt TV got as many subscribers as Bell hoped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 2017-07-22, 11:39 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
My biggest beef with Apple TV is its remote control, not the easiest to get use to.
Just as an FYI, many people who have a number of devices purchase a programmable remote like the Harmony 650. It can usually be purchased for $50 or less on sale and it will control all your (IR) equipment, turning it on/off and enabling all the appropriate inputs/outputs, etc. with one button press. (IIRC ATV is IR)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 2017-11-21, 03:26 PM

Is sound 5.1 on the Apple TV bell app? or stereo?

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 09:07 PM

bell fibetv with chromecast oramazon fire stick

just switch to bell fibe, tech told me that I can use apple tv insteadof a third receiver, nota big fan of apple product, did someone know if fibe tv will work with either google chromecast or amazon fire stick?
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

@britishrocco Fibe TV doesn't support Chromecast or the Amazon Fire Stick. The only other alternative is to use a computer and plug it into an HDMI connection on your TV.
britishrocco likes this.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-17, 09:08 PM

Can the Apple TV 4K now pause Live TV? I seem to be getting conflicting answers from Bell to that question. I know it pauses recordings. What about Android TV, which is now supported. Can it pause live tv?
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 07:28 AM
Veteran

You can not pause live tv on Apple TV 4K
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 08:06 AM

@bev fan

Just to be clear, even with a 4K wireless whole home PVR, you cannot pause Live TV with Fibe TV? I am not referring to Alt TV. I was told that was one of the advantages of Fibe TV over Alt TV by the Bell rep when considering switching to Bell from Rogers. This is somewhat disappointing. Have you tried to pause?
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 09:02 AM
Veteran

Pause feature is available only on Bell’s hardware. As far as I know there is no difference between Fibe tv or Alt tv when using Apple TV 4K.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Bell's web site says:
Quote:
Pause/Rewind live TV - Coming soon
Scroll to "Connect your additional TVs with Apple TV" and click "Learn more."

Hopefully someone can test this again to see if this feature has been implemented yet. This link says that you can move forward and back on "select channels and On Demand," so I would suggest testing a channel that supports "Restart." If Bell is doing the pause at the head end, they will need recording rights from the content owner just like Restart does.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-10-18 at 11:32 AM.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 10:25 AM
Veteran

Restart and pause features on live tv are not available on Bell Tv app when using Apple TV 4K as well it is not available on Fire tv stick.
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

@bev fan Thanks for double-checking.

----

@britishrocco Just to update my old post: Fibe TV now supports the Amazon Fire TV Stick as well as Sony Android TVs, NVIDIA SHIELD TV and Xiaomi Mi Box. There is no mention of pausing live TV on these devices.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-10-19, 04:20 AM

Well I finally tested this when visiting a home with Fibe TV, 4K PVR and Apple TV 4K. As other have said, you cannot pause Live TV. But it’s still very nice. Hopefully that feature will arrive soon.
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-14, 03:07 PM

Question Fibe TV, DNS, VPN, Google WiFi, Apple TV

When using an Apple TV, or Android TV, as a Fibe TV terminal what are the restrictions on the network setup for the Apple TV? For example, does the Apple TV have to use Bell’s DNS via DHCP or can you manually set the DNS number while allowing the HUB 3000 to assign its ip?

The Google WiFi system, in mesh configuration, would seem to set up a network behind the mesh which is different that that pushed out by the Hub 3000. Does that mean it, and every other router, is incompatible with Fibe TV? If so, then how does Bell’s mesh work?

This complication with VPN issues etc... is causing me to reconsider moving to FTTH and Fibe TV. I assume the PVR, any terminals ( including Apple TV, Android TV) have to be on the same network as the HUB 3000, including using the Bell DNS numbers? Moreover, Google’s WiFi system, in mesh mode which forces the system to act as a router, will not work with the HUB 3000?

Any information would be appreciated...
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 2018-11-15, 07:42 AM
Rookie

I have an older Bell Hub not the 3000 and am using wired tv boxes. I turned the Wifi off in the Bell Hub and am using Google WiFi. I have 2 Apple TVs running Wirelessly as well as tablets and smartphone and laptops. If your tv boxes are wireless it maybe a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in