Fibe TV now available as a standalone TV service - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Fibe TV now available as a standalone TV service

Bell Fibe TV to be available as a standalone TV service in early 2017

Bell announced that by the end of Q1 2017, Fibe TV customers will no longer be required to sign up for Fibe Internet service to access Canada's fastest-growing television service.

Later in the press release, they mention that "Bell Fibe in turn will now be enhanced to operate without the need for a Fibe Internet connection for new customers by the end of Q1 2017."

It's not clear if that means that existing customers will be able to switch their internet to a different provider or not.

There is an old thread discussing that this was possible in certain restricted circumstances.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-...etentions.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-09-07, 07:47 PM
Veteran

I think it's a good idea. I'd like to try Fibe TV but I don't want to switch my Internet Service on cable, which I'm happy with.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-09-08, 02:03 PM

They were so insistent on refusing to allow anyone to get it unless you also paid them for internet service, that they canceled my TV service several years ago. And I do mean they actively got rid of me as an existing Bell TV VDSL customer, and not the other way around. I did not voluntarily cancel them.

About 10 to 12 years ago, when I moved into a new apartment, for the first time in my life I had a choice between Rogers and Bell for cable TV. There was almost nothing to differentiate between the two, except the one Bell terminal allowed for more easily being able to record one channel while watching another, so I got Bell. It was a standard definition VDSL service, branded at the time as Bell TV For Condos. I wasn't getting any home internet service then, and had no interest in getting it at that time.

Three or four years later they began upgrading the VDSL TV service to what would eventually be called FibeTV and of course have HD channels. When they called me to say it would be available soon in my building, I told them I would be willing to buy the new terminal and pay a little more per month for the TV service, but they said too bad and we're canceling your TV service unless you also agree to get internet service. And sure enough they followed through on the threat a few weeks later. I quickly moved my phone service to someone else, and have had nothing to do with Bell since then.
I might have remained a Bell customer for all these years if they had allowed me to continue getting the TV service by itself.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-09-08, 05:20 PM
Veteran

Bell's arrogance in matters like these are what drove me away as a customer well. Other companies that resell Bell services are much easier to deal with and cheaper, even when bundle discounts are factored in. We can't get Fibe TV here anyway but they lost me as a phone, internet and satellite customer many years ago.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-09-09, 11:56 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this ! I can't wait until it comes to Bell Aliant Fibe TV ! I personally will continue with my bundle I think, but my mom might be interested to know that she can use her Rogers IGNITE Internet and get Fibe TV at the same time ! Where Fibe TV is integrated with Bell Fibe TV this will be possible in Atlantic Canada as well. Right now Fiber is unavailable to her in her retirement building in ST. JOHN'S. It is available here too. Wow, right.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-09-09, 01:01 PM
Veteran

This would probably be a good idea for someone like my Grandparents who watch TV but do not use internet, nor do they even know how to use it (they're pretty old fashioned)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-11-22, 01:58 PM

Bell has stated that in 2017 you will be able to have Fibe TV without Fibe Internet, I find this interesting ! They may be able to reach more rural areas with Fibe TV this way. They mentioned Atlantic Canada too in their news release awhile back.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-12-01 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2016-11-25, 08:14 AM
Veteran

The way I understand it, is that you would still have to have bell Fibe internet and Fibe tv connected to that line. Bell just will not be forcing customers to buy internet service with their tv service.
I do not think that customer will be able to have for example Teksavvy cable internet and Bell Fibe Tv running on that line.

Last edited by bev fan; 2016-11-25 at 08:43 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-02-26, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Almost into March now. Has anyone heard anything further on this?

In Bell's press release they state 'Bell Fibe in turn will now be enhanced to operate without the need for a Fibe Internet connection for new customers by the end of Q1 2017.'

Technically how are they going to offer the service?

Sounds to me like they are going to allow access from any internet provider. Or will it be restricted to Bell DSL re-sellers only? So no joy for those who are on cable? Are they any technical issues anyone is aware of that would preclude cable?

I'm getting my roof re-shingled in April and i'd love to tell the roofers not to bother re-installing the satellite dish.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-02-26, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

@StephenMorrow I'm pretty sure you will be able to have a cable internet provider or no internet provider at all (eg. senior citizen that doesn't use internet.) This change was made after the CRTC put Bell on the spot at a hearing and the day before another hearing.

Bell's self-imposed deadline works out to March 31, so hopefully they will be able to make all the changes on schedule.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-02-26, 10:42 AM
Veteran

No, they won't allow access from any internet provider as it is against the law. To have Fibe tv you will have to have Bell's DSL connection. Bell will just not force customers to sub to regular Bell's Internet together with Bell Fibe tv service. Vmedia tried to do that few months ago and it lost the case in courts.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-02-26, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

You won't be able to get Bell Fibe TV over another company's internet connection. After re-reading the post and my answer, I should have made my previous post clearer.

Bell's Fibe TV will still operate on a Bell internet connection. The difference will be that you won't have to subscribe to Bell internet service to get Bell Fibe TV, even though the physical infrastructure will be there. You can subscribe to an internet service from another company if you choose, but that will be unrelated to Fibe TV.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 05:51 AM
Rookie

So what is taking so long to add the ability to watch recorded programs from the PVR?

After several months it still says coming soon! That's not soon.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Bell's Fibe TV will still operate on a Bell internet connection.
That actually makes the issue more murky. Fibe TV doesn't use an internet connection and never did. Fibe TV uses a Bell operated wide area network (WAN) and does not require an internet connection.

The internet connection also uses the Bell WAN. The WAN is the underlying layer for both services. Either service can be provided independently of the other.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

@ExDilbert you are correct. I was using the term in the layman's sense to clarify that you couldn't get Fibe TV over a Rogers internet connection, without getting into all the technical details that would confuse the general reader.

The bottom line is that Bell has to install a high-speed wired connection to your home or business for you to get Fibe TV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in