Fibe TV now available as a standalone TV service - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-11-09, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Can anyone that subscribed to the new "Fibe TV without internet" after March 26 answer the following questions?
1. Do all the features of Fibe TV work, especially those that require data? eg. Galaxie, VOD search
2. Can you access CraveTV or Netflix through your STB? (if you subscribe to the services)
3. Were you told what happens if you try to access the internet through your Bell connection?
4. Were you told
(a) it wouldn't work at all or
(b) that you would be billed if you used it?
If (a), have you tried it?

Note: I'm especially interested to answer those questions for the new system. Things may have been configured differently under the old system where you had to go through retentions.
hi there

I have the standalone fibe tv and also have a bell business internet line on a separate account. the issue is none of the apps work, you can only see VOD. did you find a workaround to leverage another ISP to make everything work..would love to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-11-09, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

@adamat I was just curious how things would work. I don't live in Bell Fibe territory so I can't test things (although MTS's TV system is almost identical.)

I haven't seen anyone post a way to get around the requirement that the apps require Bell internet on the same account as Fibe TV.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-01, 01:22 AM
Rookie

I can confirm that Crave TV works fine on the standalone package. Basically Crave TV is just be accessed like all on-demand programming - which also works. Netflix doesn't work cos that does require internet.

The only issue I have had is with Bell's engineers not knowing that people can have the option to go standalone. I have had either my internet (with Start) or my TV service unplugged by a Bell engineer working in my condo at least 3 times in the past 6 months. Clearly some weird assignment issue going on. Apart from that, the standalone package seems fine. Can use the Bell TV mobile apps etc when away from home and access recorded content (which now comes from a cloud service).

Ultimately, I see Alt TV offering PVR capability. At which point there seems to be no point to this package or even a home PVR. Could just get an Apple TV, or maybe by then it will work with Android TV...

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 2019-07-03, 08:46 PM

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if this is still valid. I called into Bell recently and spent a looooong time discussing with various people and was finally told, in order to get Fibe TV, I would also need to pay for Bell Internet.

I moved a few months ago. The fastest Bell speed Internet was 50Mbs. I have Rogers right now, Gigabit, although it's never really more than 500. But, it's reliable and fast and supports a family of streamers and I work from home. But, their Ignite TV is horrible. I used Bell Fibe TV with 100Mbs service at the previous house and the Internet had issues at times, but the TV was great. I like the app better. I like that I can record from the app. That it has Alt TV and I can use Apple TV to watch shows. Great.

So, I inquired about just having Bell Fibe TV standalone and Rogers Internet. After a long talk, they said it was not available. I would have to pay for Internet. The price of the TV/Internet that matched my Rogers setup was about $40 cheaper than Rogers, but Internet was way slower. I keep the Internet and Bell TV, the Bell TV package is way more, because I have to include a $60 Internet fee. If I could go standalone, after reading this thread (and knowing how it worked at the old house) they would need to install a Bell line into the house. They would put the Home 3000 Hub on that. That would run the TV. If I had Apple TV with the Bell app, that would need to go through the Bell line, but considering Netflix is on there, if it was standalone, I couldn't run that anyway. I find that in this day in age, to have these problems seem so laughable. These 2 companies trying to hold on for dear life. Can I just have my hockey and golf on an IPTV app please, with HBO, Netflix and Crave, with a great interface, recording and 4K? Why is that so hard???
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 2019-08-15, 05:42 PM
BS
Rookie

OldTivoUser:

I currently have Alt-TV, which does require you have an unlimited Bell Internet connection, but includes considerable discounts, and a great choice of channel options at reasonable price. We don't need the speed. I used to be on Rogers at one of their lower end speeds, so at the 50 down/10 up unlimited, we are very comfortable with our service, and my own skills in network design and layout, I had already engineered a well designed cabling/wifi configuration, so when I switched to Bell, I already had a great configuration in place, Sure, we lost things like recordings, and the bells and whistles on the boxes, but we use Fire Stick and Chromecast that they included with the Alt premium. Discounts may wash out over time, but we will deal with that if time comes.

In my own enquiries, I was informed that yes, you can have Bell Fibe TV as a stand alone without their Internet, you just will not see any discounts for bundling (7.00 is the rate stated on line), and 16.00 per month for a year on the tv, plus there is a discount on the Internet (don't know the value). This will push your price for TV standalone up and your cost per box will be 20.00 per month rather than the 5.00 on a Internet TV package. The discounted price on the box it states that you have to have a three year contract in place.

Why it works is that Bell is using a virtual network for TV, and a dedicated stream for your Internet, in effect meaning that it is running on two different feeds from the Bell back ends, via one connection to your home. That is also why you can't use the Internet based services, like Netflix as with the Bell TV only, their virtual stream of data is feeding only to your box and you couldn't run their apps in your home either, as their is no Bell Internet service in place. You get TV and that is it. If you logged onto the Rogers Internet, you would get the limited number of stations due to licensing, because it would detect no Bell Internet feed.

So, yes you can get Bell Fibe TV standalone, at least as I see it on their web site, and in discussions I had with them, but it is not going to come cheap. Note also you cannot do a Starter package and get discounts for bundling either.

They are in the business of encouraging as much services and income as possible, and if like we are that you want less expensive TV, we went Alt TV, decided against the additional cost of the full Fibe box model, and we weren't looking at a lower speed on Internet that was really of any relevance to us. In our case, the Internet has been more stable with the well laid out network configuration of switches and extenders, and direct cable connections and doing manual scans and setting channels and choice and balancing not automatically with band steering (same SSID for 2.4 and 5.0 bands) and choosing channel manually with least congestion and adjusting power levels on extenders, and on the modem.

For those who don't have this knowledge and experience, you can get it by searching the Internet, or paying a network technician from a local company that specializes in residential networking. I have a local company that I know the staff, and I just go in and talk and pick their brains, and have paid for some support over the years.

So, bottom line, yes you can use fire stick, you can even use firestick outside of your home with the Bell Fibe app that is what supports full casting to Chromecast (be sure you chose the approved equipment that is shown on the Internet), but less channels due to licensing outside the home, than when you are on their Internet. And yes you can get Bell Fibe, without their Internet and keep Rogers in place, just going to see no discounting.

What I learned from talking to them is that they don't talk about the reality that you can do this, and some staff may not even be aware you can do it. And on their web site, they are presenting the dicounted price upfront, and you dig the fine print to find out what it costs for stand alone.

So can be done, but the costs may not be something you wish to take on. And yes it is true, the Netflix available on the box could not be accessed via the box, or any Internet app included on the box, so you lose that built in feature.

Lots of thinking of the options these days as to what you wish to pay and how you want to receive your services and the different models in front of us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in