Fibe TV now available as a standalone TV service - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-03-08, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

This is unofficial, but I heard that this feature will be available starting March 26. My understanding is that all the interactive features that require an "internet" connection will work, but the connection will only access Bell's internal network and the outside internet will be blocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-03-27, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I tested a new order of "Starter" without internet today and got the following response:
Quote:
Do you want to order Fibe TV in a bundle or with Internet?
Fibe TV is available for purchase online bundled with Internet. For more options, call 1 866 210-9786.
It looks like they are ready to accept orders for Fibe TV standalone, but you can't do it online. I don't know if it will always be this way or if they plan to expand the online ordering system.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-03-30, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Prior to this week, I had Fibe TV with internet for months and attempted to get them to drop the internet several times (I have internet with a much cheaper/better provider). Bell would only drop me to a less expensive $30 a month internet plan, so for several months I paid for internet which I did not use.

Finally with the changes this week, I can confirm, I was able to call them and get them to drop the internet, but keep my Fibe TV. The girl on the phone didn't know how to enter it into their system, and I was off-and-on hold for an hour, but she finally did it. Then Bell had to send a technician to change the modem or something, and take their router back.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-03-30, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Were you able to keep discounts for the Fibe tv, if you had any and were you able to keep free PVR rental after cancelling the internet.
I called them too, but I would have lost $20 credit on my tv package and would have to start paying $15 for PVR rental.
Instead Bell offered 25/10 Internet service for $50 a month so I decided to keep it for now, maybe if I insisted they would have let me keep the savings but I do not mind to keep what Bell offered.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-01, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone that subscribed to the new "Fibe TV without internet" after March 26 answer the following questions?
1. Do all the features of Fibe TV work, especially those that require data? eg. Galaxie, VOD search
2. Can you access CraveTV or Netflix through your STB? (if you subscribe to the services)
3. Were you told what happens if you try to access the internet through your Bell connection?
4. Were you told
(a) it wouldn't work at all or
(b) that you would be billed if you used it?
If (a), have you tried it?

Note: I'm especially interested to answer those questions for the new system. Things may have been configured differently under the old system where you had to go through retentions.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-03, 05:10 PM
Rookie

DO NOT go stand alone. You have very basic internet which you can not access. So with no internet access the following crap happens. 1. You can not use your FibeTV app to change channels etc. (you can look at the guide and set up recordings). 2. Zero apps work including Netflix. (crave TV works in the fibe tv channel listings).
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-03, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for confirming that @remaxman .
remaxman likes this.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 02:33 AM
Rookie

It is worth going standalone if your other internet provider cost will be less expensive than the trade off you will get by losing your discounts with Bell ($15 off PVR rental and maybe some bundling discounts). In my case, the internet provider I’m with in Toronto (Beanfield) charges $50/month for 250Mbps or $75 for 500Mbps. Equivalent Bell Internet is $110/month for 300Mbps, which is more than double the price of the $50 package.

If you go standalone you will still be able to use the FibeTV mobile app to look at the guide and set up recordings, but not to change channels with the app, which is a negative, but not too big a deal. You can watch Crave TV through VOD, as well as all the other VOD like TMN fine. You will have to watch Netflix through something else though, but most devices seem to have Netflix on it already. Minor trade-offs.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Question

Question?

Does it matter what type of "line" that goes into your home?

If it's not fiober then, the max you can get is limited to what your "phone lione"line can carry. So if it limited to certtain speed then even going to another provider may not be cheaper?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-06, 08:27 AM
Veteran

Sure it does, you would need FTTH to get 250 Mbps speeds and Beanfield is available only in some condos, so getting this price and speed for most people would be impossible.

Other option could be cable where you can get 100 Mbps or even higher using copper line.
But is it really worth it. To me even if I went with third party provider like Carrytel where it would cost me $40 for 100 Mbps unlimited internet, I would still end up paying about $40 more by losing my Fibe TV discounts and $15 discount for the PVR rental.

Overall if someone needs more speed then it is worth it I guess, for me 25 Mbps of stable and reliable service is more than enough so I prefer saving my money and having more options using my Fibe tv box over having higher speeds.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 11:22 PM
Rookie

I had the TV only package installed today. Kept my 50Mb VDSL with Start Internet. The Bell engineer spun up an additional line for the TV and everything works fine in parallel. You get an error when trying to access Netflix from the Fibe TV service as there is no internet set up/accessible. Otherwise everything else seems to work well.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-06-30, 09:16 PM
Veteran

Well, today I have tried to get zero rated Internet and Bell would not let me. I had spent at least one hour on the phone talking to different people and was told that it is not possible. I had decided to cancel all my services with Bell and unintentionally became a cord cutter.
I do not understand how Bell would offer this service to some customers but not to others.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-07-01, 09:08 AM
Veteran

I have a feeling that the amount of money there getting from you even if it not that much for internet,they still want that money.

Don't be surprised if get a phone call in the next few days from bell giving 'perks" perhaps even no internet to keep you.

I tend to find in most case with both Bell and Rogers(not sure with other providers)that after you actually cancel they call you back and give you "perks" to stay.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-07-01, 06:01 PM
Veteran

It may be that since Bell launched ALt Tv they may not offer zero rated Internet so Bell Fibe will not have significant advantage over Alt Tv.
Regardless of that I am not interested in Bell's Internet no matter what deal they may offer.
All I want is Bell Fibe starter package with few of my favourite channels.

I would not have to call Bell for any discounts any more as starter package can not go up without CRTC approval.
If not, I can survive without Tv for now as I have pretty good OTA setup.

Later I may consider Shaw Direct once new receivers come out this summer. In my opinion Shaw Direct has the best pick and pay option in Canada.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 2017-07-08, 07:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
I have a feeling that the amount of money there getting from you even if it not that much for internet,they still want that money.

Don't be surprised if get a phone call in the next few days from bell giving 'perks" perhaps even no internet to keep you.

I tend to find in most case with both Bell and Rogers(not sure with other providers)that after you actually cancel they call you back and give you "perks" to stay.
You were right MCIBUS, Bell had called me back and offered me Fibe Tv Starter Package at $21.95 with no internet and it sounded good since that is all that I wanted. Unfortunately when I received email confirmation it all changed. The price was $24.95 plus $15 for PVR rental.
I had to call them back and cancel again.
I am very happy with my new internet service provider that is 4 times faster than Bell and $10 less expensive than discounted Bell service.
My family has not watched much tv lately so hopefully OTA and couple streaming services will be enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in