Bell Fibe TV getting Autotune (Reminder/timer) feature in an update? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes
  • 1 Post By RCASC-EH
  • 1 Post By EatFiber
  • 1 Post By DSgamby
  • 1 Post By CamDAB

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-02, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Bell Fibe TV getting Autotune (Reminder/timer) feature in an update?

I spoke to a technician at Bell Fibe TV about the Autotune feature that only Bell Satellite has . Their supervisor said to tell me that it is coming to Bell Fibe TV in an update but they don't know when.
If someone who has Bell Fibe TV notices this update please tell me on this thread so I can switch services from Bell Satellite to Bell Fibe TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 07:54 AM
Veteran

I have satellite, what is this autotune suppost to do? I don't even know if i have it?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 09:28 AM

Supposedly it makes shows like "The Voice" watchable.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 10:42 AM

It sounds to me like a feature that Shaw Direct has which allows you to pre-select a channel to watch at a certain date/time without having to actually record it. Good feature!
JSW likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The feature lets you set a timer and it automatically sets a timer for all new episodes and even all episodes. It tunes to your favorite TV show you set on a schedule without having to record it.
JSW likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatFiber
It tunes to your favorite TV show you set on a schedule without having to record it.
I'm confused why anyone would find that useful? Why not just record it, then watch it without commercials.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 05:16 PM
Veteran

In case you want to watch it live and not have to worry about changing the channel.
JSW likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 06:41 PM

Almost sounds like the OP wants someone to watch the program for them too.

Kidding aside, i could see how it might be useful for somebody with a memory impairment, but other than that, it just sounds lazy 😊
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 07:10 PM

I think the person told you this may have been mistaken.

I can't figure how they would implement this. The recording timers are hosted at Bell not the DVR. If they did implement it and you had multiple STBs would it change the channel on all of them at the same time?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 07:59 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It is useful for people who are busy watching a recorded programme, but wish to be reminded of a live programme that they wish to watch at the appropriate time. As I mentioned in another thread, I like to watch the news at 11PM live and I set a reminder for that. It signals the end of the evening's viewing, even when I may be engrossed in a recorded programme I'm watching.

It can also be useful for the physically impaired. There was a comment here or over on Rogers where someone had a spouse who could not use a remote or change channels, but wished to watch TV during the day. The able-bodied spouse programmed all the reminders and the channels used to come up automatically all day for the physically impaired person. The new firmware doesn't do this and I'm not sure what the able-bodied person is doing now for the impaired one.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 11:30 AM
Veteran

This feature is also handy for those who still have external VCR's and DVR's.

Don't laugh, those devices still are in service in more places than you'd expect.

I used the timers for changing channels on Cogeco's SD boxes all the time a few years ago.

Cameron
JSW likes this.

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in