Fibe TV programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 09:05 AM

Over70:
As a fellow 70+, If your priority is value for money, I'd give a pass on the 4K and instead go with the "Better" package if they're offering a well-priced bundle. For me in making the package choice (moving from Rogers) I set out my favourite channels from Rogers, then compared with Bell's packages as to what I got or lost and made my decision. I suspect that 4K will be the way of the future but indeed there's not much content yet other than sports.
And DO follow up with Bell's Loyalty dept when your discounts start expiring - you should be able to renew them or get a new deal.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook

Last edited by Norman_C; 2016-11-21 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Thx for your response.
1. Is Fibe TV a much better picture than Rogers(in your opinion)
2. Thinking of getting Internet change to, is it fast and reliable
3. I have a good quote with some add on channels with Bell. Still considering getting a 4k TV and being ready for the future.
Right now I only have digital service, so making a step up for sure.
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-11-21, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. There are varying opinions, there is not a huge picture difference, although Fibe channels are sent (downconverted to) 720P while Rogers sends 720P or 1080i depending on what the channel broadcasts. Some would consider the latter superior.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...v-formats.html

For most people it's far more important to get the channels you want, at the price you wish to pay, with STB(s)/PVR(s) that have the features that you want. As always, proper research is imperative and do not believe anything that any CSR tells you.

2. The internet speed would depend on your location and whether you have FTTN or FTTH (Fibre to the node/home). Basically all broadband providers now provide what you pay for (perhaps even a bit more if you're not on the top tier), per the second link below.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/28-i...past-year.html

SamKnows Analysis of Broadband Performance in Canada - March & April 2016

In future, please try to used the appropriate threads for specific topics as this thread is for pricing/packages discussion. Thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Fibv tv offering dec 2016

I got a proposal from bell for Tv, internet and phone in nov. Today I wanted to tweek it. Reduce the package to starter and add a 10 channel package. I asked: has bell changed any bundle packages and or prices since dec 1 , NO.
When they gave me the price of the reduced channel package, then they said, the equipment discount on your proposal does not apply with starter package. SO my net price overall with this change goes UP $3.00.
I am disappointed. Basically nothing has changed with bell about their offering. I have not decided what to do. The loyalty dept says, that's the way it is. Meaning take it or leave it. Will now see if Rogers can do better, not expecting much.

Last edited by 57; 2016-12-05 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 08:31 PM

CRTC RDS and RDS2

Hello all,

I heard that the CRTC has ruled starting in December that RDS and RDS2 be one package and no longer would RDS2 be an optional channel ?

is this true ?

If so I would have an extra channel to choose from in my a la carte

Thank you
JR
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 01:02 PM

Do you know if this applies to TSN1345 and TSN2?
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 02:07 PM

I think TSN is a different story all in one package, although RDS has changed to basic but not sure if it also includeds RDS 2 now ...

Anyone ? as I can't find this info anywhere but heard something about it
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-12-16, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman75 View Post
Do you know if this applies to TSN1345 and TSN2?
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...ml#post2852826

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 2016-12-23, 11:01 PM

Thanks!
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-01-04, 07:56 PM

So I got an email today saying my fibe good package had new channels added. Great, its been a while since they increased the channels.
Reading further they want me to pay another $6 to upgrade if I want those added channels. So now there is 2 tiers of the good package?
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-01-05, 03:26 PM

So there is the good package and a plus good package next year it will be double plus good I presume.

LONSat
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev fan View Post
If you do not watch much then get starter package and pick and pay, 10 channels for $20 so it would be $45.
You can get ISP like Carrytel unlimited 100Mbps for $40 so it would cost you $85 a month for everything, can't complain that this is too much and no need to call Bell every once in a while.
I spent some time reading cbc articles on the pick and pay packages and all though I don't watch a lot of tv the channels I do watch are spread out to not make it worth while. Where can you get 10 channels for $20? Is that with bell. I read about the Bell memo which told their reps not to offer the pick and pay deals unless asked for by the customer. They were grilled for it and said that they are going to advertise it. Well, I didn't see a pick an pay option on their site. Goes off and checks site again...... Is it possible they changed the site over night? When I look now the good package is different from before; it includes some specialty channels. The online agent asked me if he could help me so I asked him where I can find the pick and pay package? He said it's not available. When I scrolled down I see a build your own package at the bottom of their page I didn't see yesterday.

Am I too paranoid thinking bell monitors my usage and saw me searching articles about their services and changed the page they are presenting me with?

Samsung LCD, Emotiva Lmc-1 pre-amp, Rotel RMB-1075 power amp, B&W Nautilus 805 "book shelf" speakers etc.
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 03:56 PM

IMO. If you are serious then, yes it is more than a little paranoid, that Bell changed their website just for you because they monitored your web traffic, cookies and/or browser history.

LONSat
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 04:16 PM

I am serious. They are in hot water with the CRTC with their crappy pick and pay options and the fact they don't make it available to customers. All my web traffic goes through their network which they can easily monitor and serve up pages. Do you recall when Bestbuy served up fake inflated prices of competitors to get you to buy their products if you browsed in their stores? That was a while ago and technology improved since then.

They definitely have a new offer page today vs when I looked yesterday. They may have updated their website last night in which case it's just a coincidence unless they have multiple pages with different formats. But the page I looked at last night had their good/better/best options in three columns with all the channels listed on the left and available channel in the package was checked off. Today the page has logos of the stations below each package.

TV packages and TV programming from Bell Fibe TV

While looking at the page they asked me if I needed help through chat and I asked where I could find the pick and pay option. He flat out said it was not available even though the build your own package at the bottom of the page seems to be the same thing which is $25.

Samsung LCD, Emotiva Lmc-1 pre-amp, Rotel RMB-1075 power amp, B&W Nautilus 805 "book shelf" speakers etc.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 2017-04-25, 04:44 PM

@synmag If you chose a bundle last time, you wouldn't have seen the Starter package, since it's not available in a bundle. Keep in mind that the Starter package doesn't include the price of the PVR rental.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-04-25 at 07:18 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in