Direct Netflix Access Now Available - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Direct Netflix Access Now Available

Bell brings direct Netflix access to all Fibe and FibreOP TV subscribers -- MONTRÉAL, Dec. 14, 2015

Bell brings direct Netflix access to all Fibe and FibreOP TV subscribers

Bell today announced that Bell Fibe TV and Bell Aliant FibreOP TV subscribers can now access their Netflix accounts directly from their existing TV receivers, the latest service innovation from Canada's largest TV provider.

All Fibe TV receivers have been automatically upgraded to enable quick access to the popular video streaming service. Unlike other Netflix access options, there's no need to buy new equipment or even switch your TV inputs – just press Apps on your Fibe or FibreOP remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 11:28 AM
Veteran

Well, it all depends on their interface, if it is anything like Crave tv then I would still prefer watching Netflix on my Apple TV.
Nevertheless it is good option for people who want to access everything on one box.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 11:46 AM

Telus has had this feature since February. The experience there is that the menus may be a bit slower than a dedicated device like a Chromecast, but you don't have to buy additional devices for every TV. The menu speed may depend on whether you have an older or new box. The Mediaroom app was written by Netflix, so the look and feel should be similar to their other platforms. If you require support, it would probably be better to contact Netflix directly, rather than go through Bell.

Telus users have also reported that all audio is stereo, rather than 5.1, but I don't know if this is still a problem.

It's important to remember that Netflix streams video over your internet connection and counts toward your internet usage, even when it plays on your Bell STB. Also, if you have internet with someone other than Bell, the app probably won't work.

I couldn't find a Netflix support page on Bell Fibe, but here is the link for Bell Aliant: Netflix - Support - Bell Aliant.

You can press the down arrow while a show is playing to choose audio/subtitles.

Setting language preference, parental controls and video quality is done from a computer and applies to all devices.

EDIT: you can also tune to channel 311 or 1311(HD) to launch the Netflix app.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-12-14 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added more detail

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 04:21 PM
Veteran

If Bell can add the Netflix APP/APP Channel I can see them at some point adding SHOMI

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 05:04 PM
Veteran

The app works pretty good but it is slower than on my AppleTV.
I wish that Bell would also install Crave tv app on their hardware because on demand Crave tv is unacceptable when comparing it to Apple TV.
It would give more choices to Bell customers who have Bell fibe tv and unlimited internet.
Adding Shomi would also make it a good decision, but Rogers may not go for that since they lost a lot of customers to Fibe tv.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 11:54 PM

App is locked at 720p and 2.0 audio.
Bitrate averages 3mbps.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 12:29 PM
Veteran

Rogers has offered SHOMI to all providers. It's Bell that's not biting.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Well, it all depends on their interface, if it is anything like Crave tv then I would still prefer watching Netflix on my Apple TV.
Nevertheless it is good option for people who want to access everything on one box.
The Crave interface has improved dramatically in the last week or so; you can scroll through a list of shows much faster than before which was my biggest problem with it.

I noticed the Netflix app yesterday; it's a bit sluggish to navigate, but it loads considerably quicker than on my blu-ray player. I didn't play anything, so I don't know about the resolution or audio.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 03:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Rogers has offered SHOMI to all providers. It's Bell that's not biting.
But come Jan Crave TV will be available everyone as well, so it possible Rogers & Bell might strike a deal.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 04:30 PM
Veteran

@ OldScotch
True, it has improved but still not even close to Crave tv interface on Apple TV.
Since I have Apple TV I would rather watch Crave tv and Netflix on it. Not only because of better and faster interface but also for being able to watch Netflix in 1080p.

I still like the fact that Netflix is available on Fibe tv box and I am pretty sure that a lot of customers will appreciate that they do not have to be switching tv inputs or having multiple remotes.

Last edited by bev fan; 2015-12-15 at 04:52 PM.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 12:29 AM

I found it to be quite sluggish too, once it is up and running the quality of the video is pretty good, i prefer to watch it all through my Home Theatre PC setup, i get Netflix, Shomi, and all in 1080p and so much faster at running these video streamers. but all in all it is nice to see bell finally coming out with a new app, Telus has Call Display and so many more interesting apps then bell fibe, and they have had them for quite some time now, bell just seems to be slow in adding apps...
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 03:22 PM

I find it perfect for the tv's where i had not previously access to netflix before, like the bedroom, but won't be using it where my apple tv and whole surround system is.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post
App is locked at 720p and 2.0 audio.
Bitrate averages 3mbps.
Well that's a bummer. Checked both apps on my STB and TV and the TV app offers 5.1 audio. Not sure about picture quality. Pretty similar although my TV upscales everything to 4K. I don't have the 4K plan so I can't test for that.

The 5.1 is reason enough to use the TV app however. Hopefully the Fibe app will be updated to provide 5.1.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 06:22 PM

Methinks it's a programming limitation, the other "like" boxes have the same limit.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 08:57 PM

NetFlix is best on the Apple TV 4. Really fast, you select a show and.... it plays! Not even 1 second of delay. And you can use SIRI!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in