Direct Netflix Access Now Available - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-11-11, 01:39 PM
Veteran

The bit rate could be lower on the Fibe receiver. Bell limits most of their HDTV content to 720p so it wouldn't be good in their opinion if Netflix looked a lot better. Lowering the bit rate not only degrades video, it also degrades the audio. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Bell was limiting the bit rate for Netflix and the video and audio quality along with it. Some equipment will create pops when it switches in and out of DD or between DD formats. That could be what is happening here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-12-02, 06:45 PM
Rookie

Fibe TV Netflix app audio popping

Hoping this is the right place to post this.

Here's the setup: We have a bonded-DSL-based Home Hub 3000 that's feeding 4 wireless Bell Fibe TV boxes. Entire system was installed in August 2018. 3 TV's are Samsung's, 1 TV is a computer monitor. All are connected via HDMI cables. One TV has the HDMI from the Bell box to a Yamaha receiver, and then HDMI to the TV.

While using the Netflix app built in to the Fibe TV boxes, all TVs and the receiver have a noticeable audio "crackle" during bass notes. It reminds me a dirty volume control from a 90's receiver. We've tracked it down that the crackle only happens with Netflix. All other channels and on-demand are fine.

Any pointers on what to check / change?

Thanks,

- Al
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 2018-12-30, 10:34 AM
Rookie

Hey.. I have the same issue. Its very annoying.. Like a snap crackle pop. If I'm watching a good movie i run it through my chromecast and it's fine there. But too bad as the tv app is so convenient other than the stupid sound. I wonder if Bell is aware of this. Seems like it should be a small fix somehow.
otcal likes this.

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-01-02, 07:30 PM
Rookie

I have the same annoying issue.
Netflix on Bell Fibe and Yamaha receiver.
Hopefully someone will find a solution, I have been looking into this for weeks.
otcal likes this.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-01-04, 09:47 AM
Rookie

I thought Netflix via the Fibe box was super convenient, but I have now discovered (feel a bit stupid now) that it is much more compressed compared to the Netflix app in my Sony TV.

As a matter of fact, it appears that Netflix on Fibe is upconverted from 720p and does not even offer 5.1 (at least on my early non-4K Fibe box - the signal says 1080p but it looks upconverted).

I am pretty sure that the crackling comes from the data compression performed by Bell on the Netflix stream in order to limit its bandwidth. It does not become apparent on most systems but some Yamaha receivers like ours may not like it.

Bell is not allowed to limit the Netflix bandwidth streamed directly as an internet service, but they can if its via their box. Which is certainly in their interest but not ours.

So now I am watching Netflix directly on my TV. I have connected the fiber optic audio out of the TV into the Yamaha audio 1 input and the receiver recognizes automatically when I start watching Netflix, now in all its HD glory and 5.1 sound without crackling whatsoever.

The latest Avenger looks so much better that it convinced me to upgrade my Netflix account to 4K since my TV supports it.
otcal likes this.
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-01-10, 07:01 PM
Rookie

Hi,
I am new to FIBE. Question please.

On my 4K Fibe per , the Native Netflix app. Is it delivering 4K ( for enabled content ) and 5.1 ?

My equipment is brand new I would assume it is at latest software revision .
Anyone know what is the latest version is the PVT ? Is there a thread tracker for that ?
Thank you
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 2019-01-10, 09:01 PM

Welcome to the forum @Teddis01 .

According to the link below, you can watch Netflix 4K titles on the Fibe 4K PVR as long as you have the Netflix premium plan. I don't know if the audio is 5.1 on the 4K box.

https://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/Promotions/4K-Receiver (scroll half-way down.)

The software on the PVR automatically updates when the technician installs it, so it should be OK. The ongoing updates are automatic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in