Fibe TV 4K discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 11:46 AM

Germany’s Deutsche Telekom has been running Netflix's Mediaroom app since October 2014 and Telus since February 2015. "Netflix likes to custom-build apps for the chipsets of devices on which it is running on to optimize speed and performance."

Source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 06:58 PM

Bell store person had little knowledge of what the 4K will entail

Asked at store today and the guy admitted they have been told nothing. But he said he did hear that there will be a limitation on watching 4K that only one show can be watched or recorded at the same time in the home. That smells to me like they will provide 4K on band aid basis with the existing box until they get new boxes out.
post #48 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-07, 08:14 PM

Wouldn't that basically be a bandwidth limit on a lot of fttn homes if Bell uses anywhere near the bitrate Netflix uses?

post #49 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 11:52 AM

Hi All,

Just spoke with the loyalty department about renewing my yearly credits for my services today and asked the CSR about 4K. She said the 4K receivers are launching January 18th, 2016. She also said it works with FTTN as well and would work with 25/10 and up and would require new receivers. As always, take this with a grain of salt

wings
post #50 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 01:59 PM

@rwings01 that all sounds pretty credible to me. The old boxes don't have 4k chips so they just won't be able to process the 4k video.

Here's a press release highlighting some 4k content on Bell Media's 5 Discovery channels. The press release is about using the Discovery GO app on Samsung 4K UHD TVs, but I'm sure the 4k content will also be available through Fibe TV.

Discovery GO Ups Ante on Home Cinematic Experience with 4K Ultra HD - Bell Media
Quote:
Discovery GO currently features a wide range of programming available in 4K including CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, HIGH TECH REDNECKS, SHARK, and one of the first original Canadian productions commissioned in 4K, HOW HARD CAN IT BE starring CANADA’S WORST DRIVER’s Andrew Younghusband. Additional 4K titles will be added regularly throughout 2016 including new seasons of RIVER MONSTERS (January), JADE FEVER (February), HOW IT’S MADE: DREAM CARS (March), with many more to follow.
FRONTIER is currently shooting in 4K and will be made available later this year as the service’s UHD inventory continues to expand.
Boodaddy and studlygoorite like this.
post #51 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Question

I can't seem to find how much these receivers are or how much it'll be to "rent to own"

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #52 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-08, 06:10 PM

Bell rep via chat was not very revealing but indicated 4K was being tested and would be released shortly. He said it will work on existing "compatible" boxes.
post #53 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-13, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Still nothing, ok I'll check back later.
post #54 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 10:24 AM

Looks like launch is Feb 21st according to chat
Attached Images
File Type: png image_1452785039943.png (195.9 KB, 165 views)
studlygoorite likes this.
post #55 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK15 View Post
Looks like launch is Feb 21st according to chat
No no attached images?
post #56 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 11:26 AM

Here is a link for Bell Fibe customers to sign up for notification when the 4K PVR is available.
post #57 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 11:35 AM

The press release doesn't mention how to get TSN 4k, but I'm sure it will be on Fibe.

TSN Delivers Live 4K Broadcast of the Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics on January 20 - Bell Media

TSN debuts the ultimate 4K Ultra HD live sports viewing experience when the red-hot Toronto Raptors host the Boston Celtics on Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. ET.

Live 4K production is a bold new frontier for the TV industry, intensifying the live sports viewing experience with enhanced motion detail, increased screen pixel counts, and greater brightness range.

TSNís five national feeds will follow up on this 4K debut with a slate of 4K broadcasts featuring the Toronto Raptors, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Ottawa Senators (see link for TSNís 4K broadcast schedule). Additional broadcasts available in 4K on TSN will be announced in the coming months.
post #58 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 11:55 AM

Was doing it from my mobile. There is no attachment option here unless its a URL. But Feb 21st is what I got from chat
post #59 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
The press release doesn't mention how to get TSN 4k, but I'm sure it will be on Fibe.

TSN Delivers Live 4K Broadcast of the Toronto Raptors and Boston Celtics on January 20 - Bell Media

TSN debuts the ultimate 4K Ultra HD live sports viewing experience when the red-hot Toronto Raptors host the Boston Celtics on Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. ET.

Live 4K production is a bold new frontier for the TV industry, intensifying the live sports viewing experience with enhanced motion detail, increased screen pixel counts, and greater brightness range.

TSN’s five national feeds will follow up on this 4K debut with a slate of 4K broadcasts featuring the Toronto Raptors, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Ottawa Senators (see link for TSN’s 4K broadcast schedule). Additional broadcasts available in 4K on TSN will be announced in the coming months.
Thanks Dr.Dave. This is interesting. Does Bell also have a 4K truck and camera set up in Ottawa? Rogers, as we know, in October announced they have a 4K set up in Toronto. Will Rogers and Bell share the equipment in Toronto?

Hopefully the Olympics will be broadcast in 4K in Canada also.
post #60 of 556 (permalink) Old 2016-01-14, 01:28 PM

@Boodaddy sorry, I don't know anything more than what is in the press release.
Boodaddy likes this.

Tags
4k link light wifi , 4k tv , app , bell , bell canada , fibe tv , pvr , youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in