Fibe TV 4K discussion - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #511 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 08:23 AM
Rookie

Question Bell 4K PVR isn't playing nicely with my home theater

Good morning;

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this issue before. I recently switched to Bell Fibe TV and went to hook into my existing setup.

My Xbox One (1st gen) registers 'No TV Signal' from the PVR when trying to use the passthrough features. When plugged directly into my LG 50 inch TV, the signal works fine and I get crisp and clear visuals.
Where this gets very interesting is when I plug it into my Onkyo HT-R791 AVR, I get about a split second of video before the AVR shuts off the video feed - the audio still plays but the screen goes to black.

My gut instinct would be this is a HDCP thing, except my other HDCP protected devices don't complain about the AVR, and surely an up to date Xbox One should be capable of handling that. Has any one run into this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 09:44 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Hello @EhPlusGamer , I've moved your post to this thread. It looks like some other people have had similar issues - check previous page of this thread. Make sure all of your components have the latest firmware - AVR, TV, XBox.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #513 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 09:59 AM

I think it could be an Xbox One issue. I think I remember reading somewhere when Xbox One first came out that you couldn't chain that many units for passthrough because of the HDCP handshaking involved.

As a test you could try the following which is a configuration that Microsoft supports:
Fibe 4K ---> Xbox One --> TV

post #514 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 11:04 AM
Rookie

I'll give that a shot, but that still doesn't explain the AVR issue, which is only the three devices (4K > AVR > TV). As far as I know, that is on the latest firmware (which, bear in mind, was released in 2015).
post #515 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 11:38 AM
Veteran

The spec I found says that the HT-R791 does not support 4K passthrough. If the HDMI input signal to the HT-R791 is 4K, that could explain the issue. The HT-R791 is capable of 4K output but that is only with the internal 4K video processor. What happens if the PVR output resolution is set to a HD (not 4K) format?
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #516 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-28, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Another interesting one actually:

I've selected 1080p in the PVR's menu with seemingly no change. Part of me wondered whether it reassesses the device capabilities when a new device is plugged in, but I don't know exactly how I would test that. I've told the AVR to pass the resolution through, but that didn't seem to have any effect.
post #517 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 04:44 PM
Rookie

Fibe TV + new receiver = no picture, only sound

Hi all... about to blow a gasket so I sure hope someone can help!!

We've had Fibe TV with the VIP 5662W PVR for a few months, set up with a ~9 year old Bose HTiaB and a ~5 year old Sony TV (KDL-55EX645). No issues. Except then the Bose died.

I replaced the receiver yesterday with a Pioneer VSX-531. Apple TV and Sony BD player work with no issues.

However, Fibe TV (the PVR) will give me sound, but no picture. After much frustration and fiddling, and speaking to Bell and Pioneer to no avail, I forlornly exchanged the receiver for an Onkyo TX-SR373. I was thrilled (dripping sarcasm) to open the box and see that it's basically the exact same machine. So of course, exact same problem.

My patience spent, I was randomly changing receiver settings; while on an SD channel, I changed the 4k60p setting from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4, and voila! Picture! I changed to an HD channel, no issue, then went back into settings, and all a sudden, AGAIN, no picture, only sound. I've tried repeatedly (believe me!!!!!) to reproduce this with no success. Only got a picture that one time. And purely by chance; I'm not sure what that setting is... compression or something?

Does anyone - PLEEEEASE!! - have any idea what's going on here, and any suggestions??

Some more info in case it's not TL;DR enough yet: I tried three different HDMI cables from the PVR to the receiver: no picture. A couple are a bit old, one I bought yesterday. I tried the PVR in the other receiver inputs (i.e. BD player, Stream Box), no picture. I tried the BD player and Apple TV in the CBL/Sat input (where PVR was), worked perfectly. I bypassed the receiver, i.e. PVR straight to TV, worked perfectly. It seems like something is getting lost in translation as the PVR signal goes through the receiver. And truly, I only understand all this enough to be dangerous, so I'm flailing in the dark and rapidly running out of patience. The folks at Bell, Pioneer and Best Buy seem to be more clueless than yours truly, so they are no help. (Big shock... unplugging the PVR wasn't a magic pill! (Also did this about 5 times!!!!!!)).

Quick additions: just checked, the PVR is set to 1080p. I also tried to update the TV software, was already up-to-date.

Thanks in advance for any intel!
post #518 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 06:26 PM

I'd start by trying 720p on the PVR to start with...
post #519 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion, vmpv... unfortunately same outcome.

I think I'm gonna try to get a Bell tech out here, 'cause I am truly out of ideas.

Unless anyone else have a thought?? Thanks again!
post #520 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 10:27 AM
Veteran

The only problem with that is that Bell techs will not (as in are not allowed to) diagnose problems with A/V systems. He will likely connect the Bell PVR directly to the TV and declare the problem solved.

Those A/V receivers are very low end models. I'm not a big fan of Onkyo or Pioneer either. The best bet may be to switch to a better receiver from a completely different company. I'm not saying that the HDMI in the Bell receiver is not the issue, just that Bell won't do anything about it so the resolution must be found elsewhere.
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #521 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 03:36 PM
Rookie

Yeah I'd wondered about that too (Bell being a dead end), but was running out of ideas. I'd love to have a better AVR, but I don't want to fork out much more money, and don't want to push my luck too much with Best Buy!

This all said... I tried using a different TV from our bedroom (~6 mos. old Sharp), and it worked fine, PVR -> AVR -> TV. So the old TV doesn't like something that the receiver is doing to the signal from the PVR. Infuriating that a ~5 year old product is evidently obsolete.

Well, time to start saving for a newer TV, I guess. Thanks for the input, folks!
post #522 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 04:05 PM
Veteran

It's more likely that the AVR doesn't like something about the PVR signal. TV provider PVR makers are well known for their compatibility issues, and other issues. There is lots of new tech in those AVRs listed above. It is not well tested in the marketplace and may be more strict about what HDMI signals it will accept. A sale priced model from last year might be a better bet, both for value and compatibility.
post #523 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 04:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There have been lots of issues reported with various providers regarding the firmware of some "older" TVs. This may be even more likely with a 4K STB with recent firmware that has no regard for the older firmware in some older TVs. If possible, check to see if there is a firmware update for your TV and AVR.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #524 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 04:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_k View Post
Yeah I'd wondered about that too (Bell being a dead end), but was running out of ideas. I'd love to have a better AVR, but I don't want to fork out much more money, and don't want to push my luck too much with Best Buy!

This all said... I tried using a different TV from our bedroom (~6 mos. old Sharp), and it worked fine, PVR -> AVR -> TV. So the old TV doesn't like something that the receiver is doing to the signal from the PVR. Infuriating that a ~5 year old product is evidently obsolete.

Well, time to start saving for a newer TV, I guess. Thanks for the input, folks!
Just connect HDMI cable directly from Fibe PVR to TV and use optical cable for audio between PVR and A/V receiver.
Cheaper than buying a new AVR.
post #525 of 556 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 05:26 PM
Veteran

It's the new AVR that's likely the issue. The previous AVR (9 years old) worked fine. I'm thinking that the state of the art HDMI 2.x logic in the new receivers combined with the output of the PVR is the source of the problem. It could also be a bug in the new AVR hardware or firmware. Since it's a new AVR, it can be exchanged at no cost. I wouldn't worry about what Best Buy thinks. They have exchange policies to cover this type of situation and markups that reflect the overhead costs.

Tags
4k link light wifi , 4k tv , app , bell , bell canada , fibe tv , pvr , youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in