Fibe TV 4K discussion - Page 27 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #391 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-18, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Can I use the 4k receiver on a tv that's only HDMI 1.3 compliant? Would it just display content in what the TV is capable of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-18, 08:52 PM

The latter part of your question.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #393 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-19, 01:39 PM

@winjer From what I've read, 4K wasn't supported by HDMI until HDMI 1.4. If you have a 4K TV you probably have at least HDMI 1.4. Other people have reported that they have gotten 4K at 24 frames per second instead of 60 fps if they don't use HDMI 2.0.

I also found a Bell support article that also includes some compatible TVs and which ports are compatible.

What is 4K service from Bell Fibe TV : What is 4K?

post #394 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-19, 07:43 PM

3000 modem will not work with Fibe 50 and 4K receiver

After numerous frustrating conflicting phone calls the final word from a Bell is the 3000 modem currently will not work with Fibe 50 and pair bonding. No ETA of a workaround. I can downgrade to Fibe 25 and evidently the modem will work with the 4 k receiver but that is stupid.
post #395 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 10:41 AM
dgm

Dr. Dave: Many thinks for all your detailed responses.

I am in New Brunswick, the process of switching from Rogers HD cable (Motorola DCT6412) to Bell Aliant's fibreOP HD (WholeHome PVR, not seen the hardware yet). I have read all the relevant threads (I think, suggestions welcome).

My question: Will a 4K PVR setup provide a full bandwidth 1080P signal to a 1080P set? (on 4K sources of course.)

I enjoy Bluray and other 20+ MBPS video sources on my1080P set, and would pay the 4K differential if I could get full 1080P now. (moving to a 4K set when the comptroller approves).
post #396 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 11:41 AM

@dgm here is a post from the Bell Aliant 4K thread that confirms the 4K PVR can be set to 1080p. Other posts say the PVR will down-convert the 4K channel to 1080p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosefan View Post
I can confirm that the 4K PVR can be set to 1080P. I did have to confirm that I did have a 4K TV when I placed the order though.
post #397 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 01:48 PM
dgm

I saw that note, but my question is do you get the 1080P quality (down scaled from the 2160P feed) or the usual 720P ?
post #398 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 01:59 PM

I've seen other posts that say you will get you get the 4K signal downscaled to 1080p if you are watching 4K content. You will still get 720p on all the regular HD channels.
post #399 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 03:33 PM
dgm

Thank you. I will know more when I try it.

Is there a detailed (manufacturers) manual for the PVR hardware?
post #400 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-20, 09:59 PM

There is some info in my previous link, including dimensions. You can also download the Installation Guide that Arris/Motorola is required to submit during the FCC certification process:

https://fccid.io/ACQ-VIP5662W
post #401 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-21, 02:00 PM

@dgm I took another look to see if any other Arris internal manuals had been leaked, but didn't find any. That's not surprising since Arris doesn't sell this device directly to end users. I did find this official confirmation on 1080p.

Change my receiver's resolution to 4K - Support - Bell Aliant
Quote:
7. Use the up and down-arrow button to select the desired resolution for your TV. We recommend 4K UHD (60 fps) (for 4K TVs).
Note: If you are using a 4K receiver on an HD TV, select 1080p high definition. Your TV will not display 4K content.
If you think about it, it makes sense that 4K content would display at 1080p on a 1080p HD TV. The reason that HD channels are transmitted at 720p is that most channels are sourced from Bell Satellite which also uses 720p and 720p uses slightly less bandwidth than 1080i. Some broadcast networks use 720p and others use 1080i, but they are all converted to 720p on Bell.

However if your source is now 2160p, it makes sense to display it at the best resolution that the TV supports, which is 1080p in this case.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-09-21 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
post #402 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-22, 05:41 PM
dgm

Thank you for this. Your comment is what I believe to be true but I will experiment over the next few weeks and report.
post #403 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 11:32 AM
Rookie

[email protected] problems on a new Sharp 4K TV

My first post so first of all I'd like to say hello to all members of this community. So, here is my question I need help with.
I have have with Bell Fibe TV service for a number of years now. Last weekend we purchased a brand new Sharp LC75N8000U 4K TV. Brought it home and since I did not have a 4K receiver yet I hooked up the new TV (previously had 60 inch Sharp Aquos HD TV) to my Bose Lifestyle V25 receiver, programmed my Logitech remote for the new TV set and everything continued to work perfectly. Last Tuesday Bell installed a new 4K receiver and this is when the issue started. It took a while to get the TV to display [email protected] feed from the receiver, but after fiddling with the HDMI ports I got it going. Shut everything off and went to work. Same evening turned the TV on and got "No Signal" message. Checked if it was on the correct HDMI (labeled [email protected]) input which it was, but no picture. Without shutting the TV off switched the cable to the second HDMI port of the same specification, changed the input using TV remote and bingo, 4K picture is on at 3840 X 2160 resolution. Happy at that moment. Shut the TV off, turned it back on and "no signal" is back. Repeated the procedure with HDMI port switch, picture is back. Shut off the TV again, "no signal". Not happy. Set the receiver to [email protected] and the issue is gone. As soon as I turn the TV on it displays the image. Back to 60fps, the issue is back. To make the story shorter in the past few days I tried brand new high speed HDMI cables, Bell tested another brand new 4K receiver, went through the TVs settings many times over and the issue still there. Now the dilemma is: is it a flaw with the receiver's firmware? Is the TV set defective? So, my question is, has anyone experienced this kind of issue or have any ideas/suggestions on what the cause might be? Could it be that the TV is too new on the market or it is brand incompatibility or something else? I can easily return the unit, but do I try another unit or go out and buy another brand all together.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for help in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by 57; 2016-09-23 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
post #404 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 02:00 PM

@Russkii no one else has reported that exact problem, so it's probably a flaw in the TV firmware. It sounds like the HDMI "handshake" doesn't work for 60 fps when the TV is first powered on, but does work is the TV is already on and you force the HDMI handshake by switching ports. The handshake always works for 24 fps.

Here are a couple of suggestions:
1) Plug the HDMI cable directly from the Bell PVR to the TV (it's not clear if it goes through the Bose.)
2) Use the cable that Bell supplied with the 4K PVR if they supplied one.
3) Test 60 fps with the Bell remote and the Sharp remote and try powering on the TV first or the PVR first. The Logitech remote could be causing a timing issue.
4) Contact Sharp support. They may have a new firmware that is only available by request.
5) Try a different brand of TV.
post #405 of 559 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Thank you Dr. Dave. I am leaning towards your assessment of the problem and yes, trying to cover the events I did miss a few things.

1. The new TV is plugged directly in the Bell PVR. Bose V25 does not have 4K support. I only use it to control the sound via optical cable from the receiver.
2. Used Bell cables with both receivers Bell provided along with the 2 brand new high speed HDMI cables (Rocketfish from BB)
3. All initial testing was done using only Bell and Sharp remote controls. Bose and logitech were not even connected / setup.
4. The TV's update function does not find any available updates, neither does Sharp website. Will call Sharp next week, but do not hold my breath. A lot of negative reviews on the internet.
5. If it comes to that, looking at Sony 75X850D or LG 75UH8500. Any advise/suggestions on the brands / models

Thanks again and looking forward to be a part of this community.

Last edited by 57; 2016-09-23 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

Tags
4k link light wifi , 4k tv , app , bell , bell canada , fibe tv , pvr , youtube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in