Bell Fibe TV app - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-28, 11:46 AM

@ExDilbert That's true if the consumer makes the recording and plays it back from the same medium. This case is murkier because Bell Fibe TV is recording the program (a TV provider requires the content owner's permission.) Then they play back their recording to the mobile user, after verifying the recording exists on the consumer's PVR. This leads to some interesting wrinkles.
Quote:
Using the app to watch recordings

You can now watch your recordings with the Fibe TV app on your phone, tablet and Apple TV. Recordings are made available to your devices up to one hour after their completion and will remain available for 45 days

Things to note:
  • If a channel is only available on a receiver, so are the recordings from that channel.
  • If you extend your recording past the scheduled end time for a program, you can only view the extended portion of the recording on your receiver.
  • You can only watch manual recordings with a receiver
  • If you swap your PVR, recordings from your old PVR will no longer be available on the app.
Source: What is the Fibe TV app and how do I use it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 12:24 PM

As promised, we are now in the US with my Fibe friend and here is what we can report as far as using the App:

1- It is possible to watch any recording that was made on the PVR from here without need for a VPN.
2- It is not possible to watch Live TV, even with the VPN we tried.

I would like to include a screenshot of the mini-windows that pop-up when we open the App but I can't seem to get it to work. Can someone explain how to do that so it will appear in a post?
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #93 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 02:27 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsgo View Post
I would like to include a screenshot of the mini-windows that pop-up when we open the App but I can't seem to get it to work.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/52-d...tal-forum.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #94 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 03:53 PM

@goalsgo great to hear that it works. Can you watch recordings from all channels or only "On the go" channels? For example the US networks like ABC, CBS aren't On the go, so I'd be curious to see what would happen if your friend recorded a show from one of those channels that wasn't on a Canadian channel.

I expect Bell blocks VPNs in the same way Netflix does.
post #95 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 04:54 PM

Thanks Dr.Dave.

What I reported earlier as far as what we could see with the App is for use with a device such as iPad or iPhone.

We then went on the Fibe website on our computer. Here is the first pop-up message that appears on the screen after we sign in to the Fibe site:

Reading this Welcome message, how can there be any confusion as to what Bell is saying about their service? They are clearly saying that their "TV Service" can be used anytime, anywhere, not just for recordings.

I guess some readers of this forum think the word "anywhere" somehow means "only in Canada". I happen to think anywhere means exactly what the dictionary says it means: any place or any point.

The second pop-up message that appears talks specifically about recordings being available anywhere you Go.

Why in this case they need to add "you go" after "anywhere" is redundant because "anywhere" already means wherever you go. Marketing double speak and, in my opinion, very misleading to the consumer.

Having said all this, we were able to access Live TV from the computer using VPN.

Your question about recording US networks is an interesting one. We will test it and I'll report back shortly on the result.
post #96 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 05:51 PM

We just recorded Modern Family on the FOX network and were able to view it from the US.
post #97 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 06:50 PM
Veteran

@goalsgo
Yes, I do think there is difference between anywhere and everywhere.
Anywhere means many places but it does not mean every place like everywhere.

I could say the same about you thinking that enywhere means that Canadian TV service is available all over the world.
I will make sure that I will not give any comments or suggestions to your posts in the future and expect the same from you.
post #98 of 155 (permalink) Old 2017-12-30, 10:03 PM

@goalsgo thanks for doing that test with Modern Family. Let us know if you run across any recordings that aren't available outside Canada.

I think most VPNs just give you an IP address in a specific country. An iPhone uses your GPS location through Apple's "location services," which is probably what most apps use if they really care about your location. That's probably why the VPN didn't work on the iPhone.
post #99 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Fibe tv app nvidia sheild tv

Thinking of purchasing a shield tv. Will the fibe tv app work with it ?
post #100 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 09:02 PM
Veteran

It's not in the Play Store but it might work if you sideload it (though you'd have to find the APK file manually).

Can't say how well it will work though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #101 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-02-17, 10:37 PM

Question about watching recorded shows in US

My parents are in the US and my mother has been connecting to the hotel wifi and watching her recorded shows. She received an email from Bell stating she was at 90% usage. I’m fairly certain I know the answer, but could someone confirm that watching recorded shows on the app, when not connected to your Bell wifi network, does not count towards your usage? Thanks!!
post #102 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-02-18, 01:28 PM

Using data connection to view video via Fibe TV app will definitely count against your data usage!!

Also fwiw I was recently in Belize and the Fibe App worked great watching my daily recordings of the news, and several other shows. We had a really good WiFi signal in our cabin, so I never had to use data. Nor would I local or travelling, you can use up 3gb pretty quick watching video!

I was not able to watch anything live (something about being out of the country), but watching anything I recorded was great. I was also able to manage my recordings while away which was also pretty handy.

So, tell your mom to make sure her data is OFF and using WiFi only while she at that hotel!
post #103 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Fibe on Amazon Fire TV Stick?

Has anyone tried watching Fibe TV using the Amazon Fire TV stick?

Is the quality the same/worse/better than watching on the Apple TV 4k?

Thanks!

Last edited by Monica4; 2018-04-19 at 09:45 PM.
post #104 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-05-19, 09:16 AM

Hi, Monica4. Last year it had been working on my Android box and then it stopped with the "mirroring not supported message." The last update stated that the app would now work on all Android devices, but I'm still getting the "mirroring" message.
post #105 of 155 (permalink) Old 2018-05-20, 08:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlustus View Post
Hi, Monica4. Last year it had been working on my Android box and then it stopped with the "mirroring not supported message." The last update stated that the app would now work on all Android devices, but I'm still getting the "mirroring" message.
It look like it only available on some official Android TVs/boxes:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in