Bell Fibe TV app - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 152 (permalink) Old 2016-10-17, 01:51 PM
Veteran

Unless you had something like an Android TV box and could install the Bell app on that, the answer is probably "not likely." Even if going that route, it may not work well (if at all).

Your best option if you don't want to rent one for $7/month is to purchase it for $200 or find a used one on Kijiji or similar.

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 152 (permalink) Old 2016-10-17, 02:00 PM

@ndggirl your best bet is probably a PC connected to your TV with an HDMI cable. Then you can use the web interface.

There are no Smart TV apps available for Fibe TV.

Keep in mind that there are a few limitations of using the Fibe TV app compared to a Fibe receiver.
1. Any programs you watch through an app will count as internet data against your monthly data cap. TV programs watched through a Fibe TV receiver don't use the public internet.
2. You can't access recorded programs on your PVR through the app, but you can through an additional Fibe TV receiver (whole home PVR.)
3. Some channels may not be available through the app.
post #33 of 152 (permalink) Old 2016-12-17, 12:33 AM

Bell updated the number of channels available through the app:
Quote:
Watch over 500 live and on demand channels at home and over 400 on the go on all your mobile devices.
Recently, it was 450 at home and 170 on the go.

post #34 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-01-20, 01:36 PM

Bell has updated the app - available "For Fibe TV clients in Ontario and Quebec and Satellite TV anywhere in Canada."

Here is a summary of the current features from the app store:
Quote:
Fibe TV clients:
- Watch over 500 channels on all your devices.
- Turn your mobile devices into a remote control for your TV.
- Seamlessly transfer what you’re watching from your tablet to your TV or resume what you’re watching on TV on your mobile device.
- Search programming easily using a full keyboard.
- Easily see and access shows trending live.
- Set, manage and delete recordings from anywhere.
Please use the following link to for satellite customers:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/10-b...ellite-tv.html
post #35 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-21, 10:24 PM

Updated Fibe TV App

My apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere. A new version of the Fibe TV app appeared on the Google Play store roughly one week ago. Two notable new features are playback of recorded programs on your mobile device as well as the setting of program reminders that appear on your device as an alert notification.

I suspect that the recordings are actually played back from Bell servers rather than the PVR hard drive because the app indicates that the recording is only available on your device for a certain period of time. If that's the case, then I'd expect that it would count towards one's Internet usage quota. You can also transfer a recorded program being watched on the app to your tv.

I've been told that the new features are also available on IOS but I'm not sure if it's through a new app or an upgrade.

Les.
post #36 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 07:06 AM
Veteran

I can not test the recordings playback option its not available for me, probably because I do not have Fibe TV as my TV service, I happen to have the satellite TV service where I live and I'm very happy with it. but other than that The app works great!
post #37 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 09:07 AM

I've noticed that a new recording becomes available for viewing through the app within a few minutes of the end of the program and remains available for 44 days.

Les.
post #38 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 09:59 AM

@LesE does that only apply to programs that you have actually recorded on your PVR?

I wonder if this feature is tied to Bell's negotiation for "Restart" rights. In other words, if the program doesn't have Restart rights, then it can't be recorded on Bell's servers and can't be viewed through the app.

I also noticed that this is a new app called "Bell Fibe TV." I had the old app called "Fibe TV," last updated March 22, 2017. I was surprised that there were no updates, but I searched the Google store and found the new app dated June 13, 2017.

I don't have Bell TV, but I had loaded the app when it first came out and used "preview mode" to to see what it could do.
post #39 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 10:13 AM

On my iPhone I am still unable to watch recordings on the phone itself. The Apple TV app was updated yesterday but you still cannot watch recordings with it either.
post #40 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 10:14 AM

@Dr.Dave ,Yes, this applies to PVR recordings viewed on a mobile device. While a PVR recording is in progress, it cannot be played from the beginning through the app as it could through your TV. Instead, the app indicates that the recording can be viewed on your device within X number of minutes (ie when the recording has completed).

Les
Dr.Dave likes this.
post #41 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 10:20 AM

@kibosh , My brother runs the app on an iPhone and he's the one who tipped me off to the new feature yesterday. For Android, I actually had to install a new app from the store.

Les
post #42 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 11:37 AM

I definitely do not see any option to play recorded content on the iPhone app. You can choose to play the recording on your tv from the phone but not play the recording on the phone itself. When I go to the guide, I can see restart symbols on shows that can be restarted which I can also play to my TV but not on the phone itself.

I am currently logged in at home over my network as well so its not a home network thing.

The app was updated June 20 and the description for the change does not refer to playing recorded content on your phone (something everyone is waiting for, especially on Apple TV).

Maybe this only applies to newly recorded shows? I have 2 recordings made earlier this week and cannot play either.

EDIT: nope, just recorded a couple minutes of CTV News on 1201. I cannot play it back on my phone (unless the option to play it is super hard to find)

Last edited by kibosh; 2017-06-22 at 12:19 PM.
post #43 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 12:46 PM

Here’s what I’m seeing on my Android tablet:

A fresh recording:

A recording from before the update:

An older recording:

Les.
post #44 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 01:00 PM

That is cool! Here is what I see:

post #45 of 152 (permalink) Old 2017-06-22, 01:24 PM

Same recording using the Android app:

Les.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in