Has anyone wall mounted the wireless receiver? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-30, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Has anyone wall mounted the wireless receiver?

Hi all,
I am looking at getting a TV and the wireless receiver for the wall in our bedroom.

Wondering if anyone has had luck hiding the receiver behind the tv? They look fairly small but the main worry is being able to change the channel, etc. Can't think of a good way to keep it in sight as I want to avoid having anything sticking out as space is very limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-30, 11:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Get yourself an IR "repeater" or "extender" or something similar. Lots of threads on the topic in this forum. Pretty inexpensive online and only the very small "eye" needs to be visible from where you use your remote. Depending on the model it can control several pieces of equipment, or just one.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 08:34 AM
Veteran

I too am installing a TV in my bed room though its not a fancy fibe tv, i will wall mount the tv but my set top box, i will get one of those small black shelves without mounting brackets and mount it to the wall ontop or below the tv and put the receiver on there so its out of the way, i know i could hide it behind but that might not work for all installations plus how are you going to mount the wireless stb to the wall i dont know if there is any mounting brackets or mounts under neath it?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, the wireless receiver seems very small. So I am hoping I can fix it to the mounting bracket or tv somehow. I don't have much wiggle room to have a shelf protruding from the wall so everything has to be fairly flat.

The IR repeater or extender seems like what I would need, I just wasnt sure how good the remote/wireless receiver is out of the box in terms of picking up the actions of remote. If its anything like the PVR I have I don't think its very good unless pointed direct.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 11:34 AM

Will you have enough room for air circulation if you mount the STB behind the TV?

You may find that the remote works without an extender if the front of the STB is flush or protrudes slightly from the edge of the TV. I would suggest the bottom or the right side (if you are right handed.)

If you get an extender, make sure it's compatible with the Fibe STBs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

That's my worry. I might opt for keeping the receiver in a corner instead as running power for multiple devices may be a bit tricky.

What should I look to for to know if in extender is compatible?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 01:24 PM
Veteran

after some thoughs, you can always install a mirror at a 45 degree angle on the stb, and it would theoretically be able to reflect the ir beam properly to the stb, no?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 01:52 PM

Here's a thread discussing Fibe compatibility: Remote Control Extenders
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Wondering if anyone has had luck hiding the receiver behind the tv?
My experience is that it won't or will be unreliable. There have been some good suggestions. I would mount the receiver with the IR receiver slightly protruding out from the edge of the TV pointed toward a nearby (preferably light colored) surface, such as the ceiling or a nearby wall. To improve response, placing an object with light colored surface near the IR receiver might help. It could be something as simple as a small post-it note bent to a 45 degree angle and stuck to the wall beside the IR receiver or a lamp with a large shade a few feet away.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 03:39 PM
Rookie

I have mine strapped to the back of the TV in the bedroom.
There is a 45 degree angle in the plaster board near the ceiling. Works great!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 06:22 PM

At this point, I'm surprised that Bell hasn't come up with a proper FibeTV app that runs on SmartTVs.
There's no reason that an app can't do the same that the boxes do.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-03-07, 03:17 PM

Reviving a really old thread here, but I have been mounting STBs the back of TVs for many years and have never had much of an issue with the remotes. I have gotten into the habit of pointing the remote to the ceiling which is actually much more ergonomic than pointing it toward the base of the tv.
Anyone interested in doing this should go for it without hesitation.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2019-03-08, 11:54 AM
Veteran

I guess I am lucky that I have always had Bell Satellite TV instead of bell Fibe TV. I have always had the receivers installed in a different location from the TV, so the TV is mounted to the wall, and the wires simply connect to the outlet on the wall, and the receiver does not have to be attached or mounted in any way shape or form near the TV and will still work because the remote is UHF so its not line of site.

I have a friend who has Bell Fibe TV and he had the same problem with where to mount the wireless receiver, but he went out and bought one of those portible shelves that mount to a drywall stud, and it holds the glass shelf, and he put the receiver up on the shelf above the TV. I've also seen that way at coffee shops and restaurants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in