Recording series issues, new shows - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Recording series issues, new shows

Up until recently I had no issues scheduling a series to tape new shows only (examples: Counting Cars, Pawn Stars, Star Wars Rebels etc). As we know, most of the shows are broadcast in the US first before we get to see them on the Canadian channel equivalent.

As I had done in the past, I had set my PVR to tape first run shows, within a series, as I don't need to see episodes I've seen before. Now they aren't taping at all. The reason? The "original broadcast date" shown is for the US BROADCAST DATE not for the "first run" broadcast date in Canada. This completely defeats the purpose of the "series" feature on the PVR. I don't want to have to go through the guide and add the shows on a weekly basis.

Is it worth complaining to Bell Fibe, or will it be falling on deaf ears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 04:53 AM
Rookie

My Guide on the PVR has never shown New episodes, I have to use the online Bell Remote PVR on my PC to see what is new and what is not. Down side is that the online guide does not show what is set to record or not, I have to use either the PVR or the Bell App on my phone to see what I have set to record.

I did call Bell about this, and they did have someone call me back. The tech acknowledged the issue and said that it would be fixed in the next update in February. We are now in March and still nothing...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 09:58 AM

I found that the new show indicator was inconsistent from when I was back with Rogers and have had no faith in it since then. The problem likely starts with the service provider who supplies the schedules. With very careful attention to the upcoming schedule I have only missed 1 or 2 broadcasts in the last 3 or 4 years.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 10:22 AM

I have noticed for the most part it is pretty accurate, but you are correct it does seem to use the original US date. Perfect example is Gangland Undercover on History. It is on Monday nights at 10PM here but the original air date in the description is the US date nearly a week earlier so the new episodes recording doesn't work.

Woody: the guide doesn't have an indicator for new episodes but the description contains the original air date which the PVR must be using to record only new episodes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 03:00 PM

My understanding is that there is a "NEW" indicator that is controlled by the channel, but it's not visible in the guide. I think I've seem some programs that will record as new, even though the program aired earlier in the U.S. My experience is with MTS, which uses the same Mediaroom software.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in