How to wake up a Bell Box automatically, without pressing the select key - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-18, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

How to wake up a Bell Box automatically, without pressing the select key

Is there a way I can automatically wake-up a Bell box that is in stand-by mode (ie. after 4 hours of inactivity), without pressing the Select key manually?

Say I go to sleep mid-night and I want the Box to wake-up automatically at 7AM, because my TV has a timer for a morning wake-up at 7AM. Without the bell box feed, my TV will show the blue press select button screen at 7 am without any sound, and thus cannot Wake me up from the bed.

I have tried to connect a timer to the power of the bell box to on/off reset it at 6:50am. But, to my surprise, after reboot completed, the bell box will stay at stand-by mode without the green power-on light up (ie. remain at the last status-quo before it is reboot).

Any idea? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-18, 11:20 PM

No.

You might be able to setup a Logitech programmable remote to press the select key once in a while, but what you're asking for can't be done otherwise.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-19, 07:53 AM

Why not just set a normal alarm to wake yourself up like everyone else does?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-19, 08:57 AM
Veteran

to answer your question, yes you can also use the "POWER" key instead of the "Select/Ok" button to wake up the receiver. As for HOW to turn it on in your situation, i would have no idea, sorry man.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-19, 04:39 PM
Veteran

A lot of PVRs and receivers have wake up timers. Can the Fibe TV boxes not do this? If not, then the suggestion of using a programmable remote to turn it on is an option. Another way may be to set the TV to tune into another source, like local OTA station, on wake up.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-19, 05:16 PM

These systems are locked down to the provider, and have no customization capability. Besides a 3rd party remote, you could use a phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4) which has an infrared emitter and there are apps that make your phone a remote control. However, I'm not sure if these apps have a feature that would do this.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-20, 06:29 AM

What if you were to set up an auto-tune timer for 7 am so it will wake up and tune to the channel in the timer?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-01-20, 02:21 PM

If this is anything like MTS Ultimate TV, it's a microMicrosoft Mediaroom platform and does not have an autotune feature.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post
No.

You might be able to setup a Logitech programmable remote to press the select key once in a while, but what you're asking for can't be done otherwise.
Thanks to Mr Nitra's reply (post #2) above. I checked Logitech website and there are many more than 10 models of remotes available, some cheaper and some real expensive. Can someone recommend which cheaper one can simply work the way out as I posted (ie. be able to program to auto press the Select key once in a while, say every 4 hours)? I do not need it to work any other functions eg to control several devices etc. Just simply to keep the Bell STB on, without going into stand-by mode after 4 hours.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 02:42 AM

I'll make sure this will work in the morning and reply back.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 10:31 AM

It's an IP enabled device. Doesn't it have Wake on Lan?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 11:34 AM

Wake on LAN isn't a solution since the box is "awake". It just isn't requesting any data from the head-end, since no one is watching it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 05:52 PM

Won't work.
It is possible to override and add a delay, but it does very weird thing, keys get out of sync etc.

As an FYI, part of the reason for this, when the TV is active, it's data transferred over the network, if they add a timeout, it keeps traffic down.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-03, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

How about programming to press the "Vol+" button every other 4 hours (my STB is already at maximum volume) so as to keep the Bell STB from going into standby? Is this easier and do-able?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2015-03-03, 01:27 PM
Veteran

How to do this is quite evident. The main issue now is to identify a remote control or similar device (IR blaster?) that can be programmed to send a keypress every few hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in