ExpressVu for Condos - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

ExpressVu for Condos

Having had to abandon my Star Choice system, including my recently purchased DSR-500 because of a career change. I was wondering if we might be able to have a forum for ExpressVu for Condos. This seems to be an emerging technology offered by Bell. I would like to know a couple of things if anyone has the answers.

1) Will there be an offering from Star Choice for Condo's or apartments?
2) I went to the website http://expressvu.logient.com/en/condoTV, however I couldn't find any references to High Def TV offered by this service, is it coming?
3) What are the limitations of this technology to date?
4) What's next for this technology
5) How mature is it? Has it been around a while in the US and
6) Has it been successful or full of problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 09:20 AM

I looked iinto it a few months back myself and started this thread:

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...ighlight=condo

When I contacted BEV no one there really seemed to know much about the service. I ended up going with Roger's as I wanted HD and I was able to figure out that BEV didn't offer HD. I am actually quite impressed with the service and I am hooked on my 8300HD PVR. I wouldn't switch away from Roger's unless BEV came out with an a similar PVR.

If you'd like, a BEV rep is scheduled to be in my building this coming Thursday. If you's like, I can pose your questions to him / her and see what the response is. Don't hold your breath though - most of these people just want to sell the service and actually have very little product knowledge. Let me know if ya want to hit this person up with your questions.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 11:54 AM

1.Haven't heard anything from *C about a similar service. Do they even have a PVR yet?

2. The current hardware used in the TV for Condos can't do HD. The Motorola box they use is a pretty sweet piece of equipment though.
http://expressvu.logient.com/pdf/RG2200_Datasheet.pdf

3. No HD, no PVR, maximum 10.5Mb/s download rate (remember, this box hooks up to 3 TV's, does high speed internet, and VOIP. 10.5 Mb/s does not seem like a lot of bandwidth if you're using all those services.)

4. Don't know, but one would presume it will only get better and allow for things like VOD.

5. Don't know.

6. Bell tested this service in 3 Toronto area condos long before it was made available. All the customer feedback I've ever seen on it has been more than positive.

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner
6. Bell tested this service in 3 Toronto area condos long before it was made available. All the customer feedback I've ever seen on it has been more than positive.
Actually, that is a good point. I have talked to several people in my building who have the BEV service and they all agree that the service BEV currently provides is excellent in regard to picture quality, customer service etc. Seems like BEV is doin' the best with what they have until they can grow the service and take it to the next level.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 03:38 PM
Veteran

They do mention the HDTV channels on the TV for Condo Channel page...
http://expressvu.logient.com/en/comb...?expressVu=150

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 04:19 PM

That's interesting because the specsheet for the Motorola box does not mention HD. Usually when something's not mentioned in a feature list, that item doesn't do it.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-03-27, 07:53 PM

IIRC, it's a BEV / Bell issue as to why they can't do HD right now and not a H/W issue with the box. That is itself is good news as at least the H/W in place is not a roadblock .
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-03, 04:21 PM

PVR for Bell ExpressVu Multiple Dwelling Units

I just got off the phone with Bell ExpressVu for Condos technical support and they said that they have contacted Motorola in order to update/upgrade the set top boxes to support HD and PVR. They hope to have this available sometime in 2005.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-04, 07:21 PM

I have Bell's VDSL service. If you have any specific questions, PM me, or post them here so everyone can see them.

Personally, I prefer Roger's picture quality (I have their 8300HD and 3200). However, I keep Bell for RFO and Planete, both which are not offered by Rogers.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-09, 10:22 AM

Cool Looking for VDSL Info

Wysiwyg,

Can you provide information on how VDSL works, and perhaps pricing on such a plan?
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-09, 12:33 PM

LINKAGE

nem, who says 'here is a link you might find helpful'

The preceding post and all opinions expressed are solely those of the poster and do not reflect the opinions of any other person or business
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-09, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan21
Wysiwyg,

Can you provide information on how VDSL works, and perhaps pricing on such a plan?
How it works...

Bell installs a fibre link to your condo building and then uses your exisiting internal phone wiring to feed a dedicated 22 MB link from the local CR in the basement. I believe that it is enough for you to support 3 separate video feeds (at 6 Mb each) + you regular internet at up to 4 Mb. They are able to achive such a high speed because your CR (switching station is local-in the basement).

As for pricing, it is the same except that since the rental of the receiving is considered "free" or included: They reduce they monthly basic package by $5 and then charge the $5 rental fee for the one and only receiver you need. You get the same channels as what is offered via satellite (all sats), less any HDTV and interactive services.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-12, 11:15 PM

Cool

So does that mean you would only get three channels in the Condo?
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-13, 08:04 PM

No, it means that your receiver can support 3 separate channels.

You have 3 remotes (UHF) and you can watch separate programming on each TV. The TV connected to the main receiver can use S-Video, composite or VHF output (Channel 4).

The other TVs in the house MUST use VHF (Channels 8 and 13). As a result, the picture is fair (at best) and in monorial sound.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-27, 01:33 PM

I moved to a condo where the ExpressVu was set up by the condo owner (I'm renting from someone). I moved my Sympatico High-Speed service to the condo, but found it didn't work. I've since discovered that I have to connect my computer to the RG2200 box, and ditch my modem.

In between me trying to get my service working and discovering this golden nugget of info, I've had an inept tech over who didn't know about VDSL, and have talked to techs who told me I have to cancel my account and get the condo owner to subscribe to Sympatico instead (they swore it was a billing problem that was causing this incompatibility).

Anyway, on the back of my RG2200 box, there's a hole in the back showing a slot where one would connect the ethernet port that I could hook my service into. Can I order this port and connect it in to the box to get my service going, or is there more going on behind the scenes, and will I actually have to get my service changed over to the condo owner's account?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by siphoncolder; 2005-04-27 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in