ExpressVu for Condos - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-08, 12:42 PM
Veteran

You can use one 3rd party DVR, at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-08, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Is it compatible with this hardware? I thought you needed an IR blaster. I don't believe this box supports that.
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-11, 09:31 AM
Veteran

It will. You need to lcate the DVR at the gateway box. "Tuner" 1 supports an IR blaster.

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-11, 05:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Do you lose quality hooking up a 3rd party DVR to the EV4Condos at Tuner 1 and then using Tuner 2 and Tuner 3 for you TVs? No use having Tuner 1 hooked to a real TV cause then you can record and watch something different at the same time.

How does a third party DVR get IPG data? Through a dial-up connection or over the Internet? Does that mean needing a router as well if you already have one computer attached to the box?

I also thought only Tuner 1 connected to a TV at least at S-Video level; if you hook up a DVR this way, does that mean all your viewing is over RF coax? I understood Tuner 2 and Tun er 3 outputs are RF coax only -- ie. analog TV, not digital.
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-12, 11:22 AM
Veteran

You might lose some quality with a DVR that re-encodes the analog output of an STB. That is inevitable with any source.

You should not lose quality on the other "tuners" becasue you have a DVR hooked up, but they do have the usual issues with analog RF from an STB.

TiVo gets its data from either dial-up or a broadband internet connection. Yes, you will need a router, but they are cheap, and you need one anyways. Older models of Series 2 Tivos need a USB ethernet adapter, the newer Series 2 DT has built in ethernet( an no, the DT functionality is not really useable on the gtateway box system Expressvu For Condos uses).

Other DVRs may need to get data from a particular TV channel, and others have no guide data and work like a VCR.
You can connect A/V from the gateway "tuner 1" to the DVR, and the same A/V from the DVR to your TV.
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-12, 11:38 PM
Veteran

It sounds way simpler if EV4Condos simply offered a DVR -- which they don't. With three SD streams available, the service would support it in many condos where more than 3 or more SD TVs are rare.
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-06-07, 05:01 PM

Tivo and Express VU for condos

I'm trying to install the Tivo with the express vu and I'm having problems, first Express Vu doesn’t appear as a cable provider it just appear as a satellite provider, but they have the same listing so I selected satellite but I’m trying to use the IR cable to change the channels and it is not working. Somebody know how to Install Tivo with Express Vu Tv for condos?

Thanks
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-06-07, 05:35 PM

For Tivo -- You must select Satellite. The satellite box you must use is Next Level Communications.

I had been using a Tivo with BEV VDSL before I moved into my house. Let me know if you need help.

Dave
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-19, 01:44 PM

ExpressVy for Condos -- Installation include cost of phone jacks near TV?

Hi all,

I'm considering getting ExpressVu for Condos but I don't have any phone jacks near my TV -- does anyone know if the free installation includes creating a jack near the TV?

What would they do instead of installing a phone jack? Run a really long cable? :P

Thanks in advance everybody,

TT

Last edited by TwoTouch; 2007-11-19 at 01:50 PM.
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-19, 02:13 PM

Yes, they will take care of all the wiring for you, at no extra charge. You do not need to worry about that.
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-20, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Bell ExpressVu TV For Condos has a few "features" you might not like though.

While it can deliver TV to up to three TVs, these are all SD signals. There is no On Demand programming available -- like Treehouse, NFL Network, MTV, National Geographic and more.

You'll also lose some local channels like weather, and WNED, and lose other Buffalo feeds in place of those from Boston.

The service does not support PVR.

The service does not deliver HD, not even one channel, and there are no immediate plans to change that.

The Internet service maxes out at around 3 mbps since the TV signals compete for bandwidth.

For some customers, all this is "good enough". But if HD is in your future, you definitely should look at alternatives.
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 11:04 AM

Expressvu for Condos: Wiring?

Thanks wysiwyg. So regarding wiring, what would they do?
1) will they plug the box into a phone jack?
2) install a new phone jack near the TV?
3) run it through the existing coaxial copper cable?

Regarding feature limitations -- the 3meg internet limitation is a big concern for me as I currently get about 5 megs downstream via sympatico.... wouldn't want to cannibalize my bandwidth in favor of video.. hmmmm..

(Sorry for all the questions -- I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff).

Thanks!

TT
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 01:57 PM

TwoTouch,

To answer your questions:

They will plug into a phone jack, if located close to the TV otherwise run some CAT5 cabling from the closest jack, along the wall to the receiver. Even though it is an RJ11 connection, they run CAT5 cabling, since it's better for long runs.

For the other TVs, if they cannot use internal wiring, they will run RG6 cables, again, along the wall, to the other TVs. But in most place, they disconnect the coax connection from Rogers and feed in the signal from bell which you can watch in the other rooms (Eg Channel 2, 7 and 13, if I recall). The feed you grab directly from the box (Via composite or SVideo) will be fine, but on the other TVs, you will be forced to go through the coax feed which is the worst kind and it will also be in MONO sound.

As for the max speed on your regular internet connection...It shouldn't impact it. If I recall correctly, Bell will run Fibre to the basement of your building which becomes your local CO. Then they allocate three 8Meg feeds for each of the separate channels you can watch at the same time, and nother 6Meg feed (perhaps more?) for your internet usage. Because the CO is locate so close, you are getting top speeds.

Last edited by wysiwyg; 2007-11-21 at 02:14 PM.
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 02:56 PM

No phone jack near the TV :(

Hi wysiwyg,

Thanks again for the info on installation. The closest jack to my TV is in the kitchen -- it's quite a long ways to the TV and I definitely don't want wires running all over the place.

Looks like I'm stuck with cable, unless they would install a new jack closer to the TV.

TT
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 07:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
The feed you grab directly from the box (Via composite or SVideo) will be fine, but on the other TVs, you will be forced to go through the coax feed which is the worst kind and it will also be in MONO sound.

As for the max speed on your regular internet connection...It shouldn't impact it. If I recall correctly, Bell will run Fibre to the basement of your building which becomes your local CO. Then they allocate three 8Meg feeds for each of the separate channels you can watch at the same time, and nother 6Meg feed (perhaps more?) for your internet usage. Because the CO is locate so close, you are getting top speeds.
You are right that the secondary TVs get compromised TV service. For the rest ...

Sorry, but that's not the way the service works. You have approximately 22 mbps total bandwidth under the current model to share with TV and Internet. The Internet allocation is around 3 mbps; perhaps a little higher under this model. You will not get 6mbps and "perhaps more" under the current engineering design of the product. You can get more from Bell Optimax; but you have to choose Optimax or VDSL TV for Condos; you can't mix 'n' match. If you choose Optimax, you are back to restrictions of how far you are from the local node (not the basement, but somewhere down the street, etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in