ExpressVu for Condos - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-28, 08:34 PM

When I got EVFC I specifically asked to keep my DSL modem since the computer was in a separate room and I didn't want cabling going around the rooms. The day of the install, my DSL connection died, and when the tech arrived he did not have any instructions to keep the DSL line. To make a long story short, I previously had ExpressVu and simply had the connection switched from the external modem to the setup box. My account remained the same. I was sent a return kit to return the modem.

Now, 6 months later, I cancelled my Sympatico altogether, but kept ExpressVu. Bell sent me another return kit for the modem. The problem is: The modem is the setup box! I called them and they are suppose to update the records. Yeah, like if it was going to be that easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-28, 08:49 PM

ExpressVu for Condos + Sony KV36HS420

Last Friday I got ExpressVu for Condos installed. The service is connected to a brand new 36" Sony KV36HS420. Problem is that I see lots of jagged edges on picture. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the ExpressVu in general, just ExpressVu for Condos, or is a problem with the de-interlacer (DRC) in the Sony TV.

Anyone else have experience or suggestions in this area?

Thanks, -James
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-04-29, 10:04 AM

I wanted to follow up on my progress with the EVFC + Sympatico service problem...

When I first called Bell, I called the wrong lines - no-one I knew understood that I was using EVFC, and hence no-one knew that it had to go over the VDSL line. As a result, my service plain wouldn't work, and I got passed off to anti-tech support who (in an effort to get me off the line) told me I had to cancel my service and get the condo owner to sign up for the Sympatico service.

At my wit's end, I tried another number - one from an EVFC brochure given to me when I got the place. And wouldn't you know it? I don't have to cancel my account or anything - they switched the account to the VDSL line right away, got me signed up for the wireless modem, and are sending a tech out to me next Thursday! (A competent, VDSL tech this time.)

I'm really glad I came to this resolution - I didn't want to terminate my Sympatico service.

My only complaint would be that Bell support wasn't informed enough to know about the EVFC service and to direct me to that line in the first place - it would have saved me a lot of headache and time.

post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-14, 12:02 AM

HD update

Well I had the representatives from Bell come to my condo last week and I was quite aware that I would have to start out without any HD if I signed up with the expressvu for condos. I was asking the tech guy who was there about the hookup (they had setup a demonstration in our common room), I also asked him about the reason their was no HD. He said they are very close to releasing the HD/PVR version for condos and indicated probably end of August or September. Makes sense when you think about it since it would be right before the start of the new tv season.

So i've decided to switch to Bell (good riddance to Rogers) and I'll have to sacrifice HD for a few months (but reap the rewards of a promotional discount). It won't be so bad, It's all reruns in the summer anyway.
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-14, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoguppy

1) Will there be an offering from Star Choice for Condo's or apartments?
There are lots of condos in the London area with SC central satellite systems. A friend of mine has a vacation condo in Collingwood that has a SC central system as well. He leaves 1 receiver up there and has a regular SC system at home. Good deal - only 1 bill.
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
When I got EVFC I specifically asked to keep my DSL modem since the computer was in a separate room and I didn't want cabling going around the rooms. The day of the install, my DSL connection died, and when the tech arrived he did not have any instructions to keep the DSL line. To make a long story short, I previously had ExpressVu and simply had the connection switched from the external modem to the setup box. My account remained the same. I was sent a return kit to return the modem.

Now, 6 months later, I cancelled my Sympatico altogether, but kept ExpressVu. Bell sent me another return kit for the modem. The problem is: The modem is the setup box! I called them and they are suppose to update the records. Yeah, like if it was going to be that easy.
I am getting bell express vu in my condo next week. Could be a dumb question, but does things like wind and rain affect BEV for condos? I know it affects regular dishes. I am a little concerned about switching from rogers digital but Bell offered a great promotion at our condo. Also, does the Bell technician strike affect express vu installers? I don't want to wait weeks to get my cable!
post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-16, 06:08 PM

No, your are then linked directly via fibre to Expressvu. So downlink or uplink problems won't affect you.

Earlier this week, people across the country were affected by Toronto's storms. My VDSL signal stayed up.
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-19, 07:34 PM

Question Recommend express vu for condos compared to Rogers Digital Cable?

Thanks for the update, so would you recommend express vu for condos? Was there a long term contract you had to sign? There was no mention of it when I signed up with the "kids" selling it at my condo, but when I called Rogers to ask about returning the box they said there could be. Also, if I use dial up sometimes, does that affect the TV at all? When I called Bell asking if the express vu technicians are on strike like the phone technicians, they said it was a different union. I like the feature of having the time shifting and digital in all TV's not just one like Rogers..
post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-20, 08:30 AM

There's no contract unless you bundle. (Be carefull!). Your other services are not affected with this new service. You can continue to enjoy Dialup internet or high speed.

If you go high speed, you need to return your modem to them and you would plug in your router or PC directly to the set-top box.
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 2005-06-28, 01:39 PM

bundling

The expressvu for condos reps at my building said that the bundling contract would be waived if we signed up. When I talked to the representative on the phone she didn't know a thing about this but when I mentioned that it had been crossed out on my expressvu for condos sign up sheet she told me to hang on to it for proof and I would probably get the bundling contract waived. The installer is coming tonight and the rogers box along with their service goes back tomorrow.
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 2006-02-24, 11:58 AM

Status of ExpressVu for Condos?

What is the status of this service?

Been reading the threads and it mention that Bell was testing the HD Set-Top boxes in Toronto.

How are the test going?
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 2006-02-26, 04:49 PM

This link will provide you with some recent information.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ghlight=condos
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-03, 09:43 PM

Is anyone still using the ADSL Bell TV for condos here?

If you are, how is the Sympatico and EV working for you?
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-04, 10:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Posted June 14, 2005:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_sci_guy View Post
Well I had the representatives from Bell come to my condo last week and I was quite aware that I would have to start out without any HD if I signed up with the expressvu for condos. I was asking the tech guy who was there about the hookup (they had setup a demonstration in our common room), I also asked him about the reason their was no HD. He said they are very close to releasing the HD/PVR version for condos and indicated probably end of August or September. Makes sense when you think about it since it would be right before the start of the new tv season.

So i've decided to switch to Bell (good riddance to Rogers) and I'll have to sacrifice HD for a few months (but reap the rewards of a promotional discount). It won't be so bad, It's all reruns in the summer anyway.
As far as I know, Bell ExpressVu TV for Condos has not delivered HD or PVR service to any regular customers -- and it's two years later, not two months later. I'm not saying anyone lied: over-zealous, perhaps?

If they say to you in May, 2007: "we are very close to releasing HD/PVR version for condos" would you still believe them? In the midst of a massive corporate take-over when everyone is running around uncertain?

Two years later: the local cable provider, Rogers, offers about 40 HD channels, dual-tuner HD PVR, seven On Demand channels included in a VIP package with over 200 other channels at under $60 fee; and an Internet service now set at 7 mbps for the price of 3 mbps with Bell's TV For Condos Internet offer.

Sometimes "cool technology" isn't. Which do you prefer: full colour HD Cinerama Lawerence of Arabia in Dolby 5.1 or sand dunes over your mobile phone for two hours?
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 2007-05-07, 10:17 PM

I'm still using the BEV for Condos...

I don't know how many people in my area are using it, but certainly the board made a few fellow townhouse owners dismantle their dishes, it being against the rules etc.

The lack of PVR bugs me. I don't care about HD as I haven't taken the HD set plunge yet, but I wish I could have a PVR.

As for the internet part of it - it's always been incredibly fast for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in