Connect VAP and PVR to 3rd party router instead of Sagemcom modem/router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-09-01, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Connect VAP and PVR to 3rd party router instead of Sagemcom modem/router?

Sorry if this has been asked before and I didn't see a general Q&A thread, but is it ok (and reliable) to plug the VAP2500 and my hardwired PVR into my linksys router instead of directly into the Sagemcom 2864 modem/router?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 11:02 AM

I don't live in Bell territory so I don't have any personal experience, but I would not recommend it.

Things to consider:

Bell uses VLANs to separate TV and internet traffic
Mediaroom uses multicast UDP packets and IGMP snooping to transmit video
You will have to determine if your router supports the above and if you know how to configure it
Bell will not support your configuration

If you want to use your own router for internet access, you should plug the PVR and VAP2500 directly into Sagemcom 2864.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 11:11 AM

Generally no would be the solid answer, but it may work anyway.

It will absolutely not work if the Linksys is running the PPPOE session, if it's just acting as an AP, then you might be OK.
Newer routers/switches generally don't have an issue, older ones do, they don't pass multicast, this causes the boxes to stop working.

Personally, Dr.Dave has solid advice, don't bother. If there's a reason you need to, extending range or something, then by all means, give it a go, but if it doesn't work, your device likely isn't playing well with multicast.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-09-02, 01:59 PM

If you need the ports, use a switch instead of a router. A Gigabit switch that can handle multicast video such as one from Netgear work well in my home with both the VAP and a wired receiver connected to it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2014-09-03, 12:59 AM

And with that being said, we are told here not to have video and Internet traffic on the same gigabit switch. I personally tried it in a pinch a few days ago and the customers pc had issues (which he wouldn't believe) and it was bogging down the traffic so much that the TV started heavily pixellating during a speed test which I only got 3-4 Mbps down but the full 25 Mbps on my work laptop. After farting around for a couple hours on another issue I ended up just putting it back the way it was.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in