Set DNS servers in Home Hub 2000? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-23, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Set DNS servers in Home Hub 2000?

Hi,

I'm hoping there's some knowledgeable techie out here who can assist. I am trying to change the DNS servers in the brand-spanking new Home Hub 2000 (a Sagemcom Fast 5250) but to no avail. I've manually added my preferred DNS servers in the Advanced Settings under Modem Settings, and they appear to be valid. However, they are not doing anything. If I go to dnsleaktest, the results constantly show Bell's DNS servers along the lines of 198.235.211.* and 198.235.210* for a toroon*.srvr.bell.ca or mtrlpq*.srvr.bell.ca address, respectively.

Of course, if I manually add the DNS server into my PC's ethernet settings, the DNS servers hold and dnsleaktest pushes back the correct DNS server. I would really like the modem to maintain these settings as I want the DNS servers to apply to all my connected devices and would rather not manually change the DNS servers for all my devices (and some devices actually don't let me configure the DNS servers anyways).

Am I missing something? I called Bell Tech and they insist the they don't block DNS servers... but that seems wrong when dnsleaktest keeps showing their DNS server apply when the modem is in charge of setting the DNS server.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

P.S. I've done my homework and searched left, right & centre, but can't find the answer to this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-23, 10:07 PM

had a similar issue; followed instructions here and it seems to have worked;

http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...rticles/291518

or

http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...rticles/291575
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ainyul, but that doesn't help unfortunately. Can I ask you, do you have the latest modem (the Bell Home Hub 2000 for the Fibe TV & Internet plan)... those guides were for other Bell modems that allowed you to disable the DNS relay which doesn't appear to be an option in the Bell Home Hub 2000 for some reason... Unless anyone knows a way to peek behind Bell's router configuration page?

As an aside, and to the moderator if he's reading this, I put this query in the Bell Fibe TV area as the modem is a Bell Fibe modem for the IPTV service, but after the fact have noticed that the Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet forum would probably have been the appropriate place for this query. Apologies...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 06:04 PM

This has been an issue with Bell routers in recent firmware, it's better if you manually setup the DNS in the devices, and not leave it to the Home Hub/Sagemcom.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks nitra. I wonder why Bell says it doesn't block DNS servers in this router.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 09:08 PM

Bells right hand, doesn't know what it's left hand is doing.

It's been an issue for at least 2 years.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-25, 09:59 PM

^heyguys, although the instructions were for the cell pipe i finally gave it a go, and once i got into the right menu i was able to change the DNS settings;

am going to set up netflix on the TV and will let you know if WIFI worked via new DNS settings; NETFLIX USA that is;

OK, amazon video works; as does access to netflix usa catalog.

Last edited by ainyul; 2014-07-25 at 10:36 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-26, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Ainyul, how did you disable the DNS relay in the Home Hub 2000?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-26, 09:09 PM

^disable DNS, in all honesty i just followed the instructions on the site; if i get a chance i can connect online to modem and look for that config for you but it will be much later in the evening....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-27, 06:24 PM

I just got the same Bell Fibe service and the new HomeHub router/modem. Can you point me in the direction on how to change settings (?) so that I can access U.S. Netflix etc., or even better, install a VPN service that will allow me to switch between Canada, U.S. and U.K. ip addresses.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-27, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've changed the DNS settings for a commercial service I use but the settings don't keep. At least, not for me. Anyway, you change the settings to add a manual DNS server in the administration page for the modem, then choose modem settings and advanced to get into DNS. You'll probably have to set the DNS servers in each device like I had to, but good luck with it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-27, 08:47 PM

I logged on and looked for "disable DNS servers" but do not find that option; again for some reason my Amazon VOD does work as does access to Netflix usa catalog.

If you like i can check other settings; let me know.

EDIT: this is a copy paste of an advanced view of network options;

DNS
Home
Obtain DNS information automatically.
Manually specify DNS information.
Primary DNS:208.122.23.23
Secondary DNS:208.122.23.22
Host name:
Change
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-28, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Ainyul, that's great. I do all that and it doesn't work for me... I have to set the DNS manually on each device.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-28, 08:45 PM

Hmmm, wondering what the discrepancy is; did you follow the unlock-us instructions?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2014-07-28, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Yup. If you go to DNS leak test, what results do you get?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in