Fibe Availability Discussions - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-07, 11:43 AM

When I went through the house inspection he showed where the cables connect to. There was coiled CAT5e cable and a spot where fibre internet cable could be pulled through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-11, 05:49 PM

Fibe TV on my street in Downtown Montreal but....

Hi. I just got off the phone with Bell customer service and was left with the impression that they have no interest in providing any insight as to if and when Bell Fibe will be available. I live in Downtown Montreal in a small apartment building (approx. 50 units). I currently have Bell Satellite service and am relatively satisfied. I am, however, extremely unhappy with their internet service which, according to Bell, maxes out at 5-6 MBPS. I've been calling Bell on a regular basis and have been told that Fibe wasn't available in my building. Yet directly across the street, another apartment building does have fibe. Today when I spoke to the agent and explained my situation, he said it was possible that fibe may never be available in my building. At that point I said after over 10 years with Bell, my only option was to switch to Videotron which offers much faster internet service in my building. He was sympathetic, but basically said he understood my position and if I felt I needed the faster service I should probably switch! If I knew that eventually Bell would install Fibe- even a year out- I would stick. But basically he was unable to provide any information whatsoever about the prospects for Fibe in my building. I guess I will be switching to Videotron.
post #78 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-11, 07:48 PM

HI Alstein,

I have some doubts about the skill level of the representative with whom you spoke. In recent years, the technology is improving constantly. Personally, I refused to have such performance. At this time, I subscribed to 5mg service because I was told it was the best they could offer me. Some technicians came by and corrected some of my problems I had. Among these, one of them converts me to pairs-bounding. Basically this means that two links comes in the modem. What follows may seem unrealistic but I assure you that I am now at 30mg. Besides I also have three Fibe receivers who must consume about 6mg each of bandwidth.

I am confident that it is possible to improve internet speed. However, if you are satisfied with the satellite TV service, my recommendation would be to keep it intact. Having had both, I think you have nothing to gain and much to lose to migrate TV services to Fibe. With a rough idea of ​​your television habits, I could clarify my statements.

post #79 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-11, 08:27 PM

Several reps at Bell have told me that internet speed in my building was limited because of the age of the cables. A tech guy even came up a couple of years ago and was unable to do anything. Videotron can offer from 5 to 200 mbps available in my building. In addition, the DVR the agent was telling me about can simmultanes;y record up to 8 programs. Right now I can record 2 at a time. The channel selection is fine. I am a movie watcher and premium channels such as TCM are important. For me, the biggest impediment is the the thought of having to seal with a new email address, not to mention installers coming into my place and messing around with my TV setup which works quite well.
post #80 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-11, 10:45 PM

Hi alstein, Bell reps usually can't really mesure performance. I understand exactly what would be the challenge of changing your email. But if I were you, because tehnology is getting better, I would call Bell and see how they could do better over their network. At the time I was @ 5meg, figures were in the scope, lower part but in the scope. And they would try anyting because of that. So I told them I want to go to 25meg. As explained before they came in a couples of time and found few problems. They then install what they call pair-bounding. Since then, I can't complain about speed. Without going to 25 meg, I would still be surfing at 5 meg with a lot sync lost and all sort of problem.

For ExpressVu, what model of receiver do you have? If it's a 9241 or 9242, I understand that you might have 2 feed from the dish. With the new LNB set-up, it's easy to turn 2 cables into 4 input. You could double your pvr and get 4 HD feeds, far from 8 you could have from the competition, I agree. But #1 reason to stay BEV and not moving to Fibe TV, in your case: No external hard drive can be hook-up to the receiver. One day you'll have to delete shows. Search tool is way better with BEV. If you are a VUPASS user, you'll have to wave goodbye to that feature. Also, no more 2 speeds slowmotion during your movies or sports events and way more to loose.

In what area of Montreal do you live?
post #81 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-12, 12:31 AM

Hi. Thanks for the information. I have a 9242 receiver. I wasn't aware that I wouldn't be able to attach an external hard drive to a fibe pvr. I have dozens of films on an external PVR. I'm less concerned with VUPASS, and slow motion. In any event, for the time being it appears that Fibe won't be an option for me, probably due to the relatively small size of my apartment building. I live in downtown Montreal about a 10 minute walk west from McGill University.
Have you an opinion about quality differences between Videotron HDTV and Bell TV?
post #82 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-12, 12:52 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstein View Post
I have a 9242 receiver. I wasn't aware that I wouldn't be able to attach an external hard drive to a fibe pvr.
You can't attach an eHDD to Fibe. Also, let's please keep this discussion to the availability. We have other threads on the topics of the various STBs, etc.

For example: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-...questions.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #83 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-04-14, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
When I went through the house inspection he showed where the cables connect to. There was coiled CAT5e cable and a spot where fibre internet cable could be pulled through.
Yeah, there's no way the neighbourhood would be occupied if the fibre network wasn't ready. Bell uses those same fibre lines to provide landline telephone service with 911. You might need to wait a bit before they offer Fibe TV, though - particularly if the Central Office you'd be connected to doesn't already have any Fibe TV service running out of it. I know when they did a greenfield fibre subdivision in Stevensville, ON it took about a year or so before they offered Fibe TV, and it became available at roughly the same time they started rolling out brownfield fibre elsewhere in Fort Erie.
post #84 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-10-09, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Fibe TV not available in my area?? Is this a joke!

Hi Guys ,
New to the forum.

So i have currently been living in Mont-Royal for 5 years now and have had Fibe Tv and internet ever since.
When i moved in here ( new construction condo ) Fibe Tv was fresh and was just starting to roll out.
So i've enjoyed Fibe Tv and the internet speeds.
I just bought a house in Dollars-Des Ormeaux and when i looked into transferring my services to my new house i'm told that Fibe Tv is not available!!

I'm honestly blown away. How is that even possible. Fibe has been out for over 5 years.
My recently purchased house is in a big neighbourhood. I'm in total shock!
The online agent suggested i get Bell Satellite. Really?? No offense but satellite tv is horrible nowadays.
No 4K , No wireless receivers etc. WTH
They said Fibe Internet is available but not Fibe Tv. How is that possible?

I don't even know what to say at this point.. Is there any way of getting Fibe Tv?
Is there anywhere that we can get a timeframe of when Fibe Tv will be available in the area i will be moving to?

What's the alternative?
I've never been a fan of Videotron but does someone know if they have something that compares to Fibe Tv.

Thank you all for your help
post #85 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-10-09, 10:43 PM
Veteran

We can't get real Fibe here either. Don't be fooled by the term Fibe Internet. It's probably just rebranded 6MBps DSL. From what I've heard, some Montreal neighborhoods can't even get full speed on that. We had Bell salespeople blanket the area selling "Fibe" a few years ago. It turned out they were installing 6Mbps DSL and satellite with a promise to install real Fibe within the year. That was 3 years ago.

Everyone here has cable internet. It works well and Rogers is better to deal with than Bell. Don't know about Videotron but it may be the only choice. It looks like they offer something comparable to Fibe.
post #86 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-10-09, 11:57 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
My first thought was "get in line!"

I can't get it either. 5 year wait.

Can you hear me now?
post #87 of 98 (permalink) Old 2016-10-10, 01:23 AM
Rookie

I guess i'll have to give Rogers a look as well.
Just so frustrating.
I can totally see how Bell would "con" you into believing it's actual Fibe internet..
post #88 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-08-10, 11:34 PM
Rookie

Windsor Fibe

I received a card in the mail that informs me that Fiber Optic will be installed in my area in the next 2 weeks. I have the choice now of either going cable or Fibe. Can anyone give me some advice on pros and cons? Thanks!
post #89 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 12:30 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
A few comments:

1. Fibe can mean FTTN (Fibre to the Node) or FTTH (Fibre to the home). There are significant differences between these offerings with FTTN being inferior to FTTH. Make sure you understand what you're getting in terms of internet speed (which is bundled with Fibe) and Hardware capabilities.

2. I believe the cable provider in Windsor is Cogeco? You should familiarize yourself with the hardware of both possible providers as well as the channel offering. Each provider has pluses and minuses, so make sure the equipment does what you want it to and that you can get the channels you want. Perhaps you have some friends or neighbours that you can talk to about the two providers or what they think of their provider in particular.

3. When discussing this with provider CSRs please realize that they sometimes don't tell the truth, or exaggerate, or simply don't know and sometimes make things up to tell you what you want to hear.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #90 of 98 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 09:12 AM

What part of Windsor are you in?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in