Fibe Availability Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-08-22, 01:09 PM

FibeTV in Keswick, Ontario

Hi all,

I just checked the Bell site and it says that Fibe TV is available in my area. This was not the case about a month ago. Now when I called in, they said it is not available? Not sure why the site would say that.

Does anyone in Keswick have FibeTV?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-08-22, 07:55 PM

Lightbulb FibeTV Deployment Map

I know there is a lots of discussion about Fibe TV being available here and there.

I wonder if someone would have a map of actual availability and coming soon, coming after, etc... with Time Schedule.

I am in the dark about availability here, for fibetv, but also, improvement in Internet speed and capacity. stuck under 3mb here

Also, a map is visual and quick information fact

thank's
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 2012-09-01, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Not that I'm aware of. I work for bell and live in keswick. Only area right now is the new subdivision going into Sutton on the north side of baseline rd. Things will be changing I'm sure in the next 6 months. First will probably be around the beer store area. They are updating and installing equiptment in the central office in town.

post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 11:30 AM

Fibe Availability Discussions

Here is my story with the Fibe TV 'availability' site... you know, the one that tells you if Fibe TV is in your neighbourhood.

In Spring 2011 the site said that my neighbourhood would be setup by September 2011. Great, I thought.

Come September 2011 the site changed to 'within the next year'. So I got sad.

Come December 2011, the site just said that Fibe TV is not available in my area, with no ETA.

Around February 2012 the site said that Fibe TV would come within the next 6 months... it said that every month for 6 months.

Then, near the fall, it said 3 months! Oh boy! 3 months later, in November, it was still saying 3 months. However, in late November, 2012, the site said 'within the next month!' I was getting excited.

December passed... January passed... and it still said 'within the next month.' Until February. Now it again says that Fibe TV is simply not available in my area.

The frustrating part is (and I understand network structure and logistics) - the house next to my apartment building HAS Fibe TV available (as do the rest of the houses up the street). Fibe TV is available 300 metres to the east as well, at a friends out a couple of blocks away. It's available 300 metres to the south, at another friends.

Somehow, my area of town (NDG, near Westmount) is in this dead zone of activity. (NDG closer to Westmount has Fibe TV, though... as in, I'm 2 blocks out so I can't get it, but if you're one block out, you can).
post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 12:32 PM
Veteran

All that means is the deployment of fibe does not go sequencially, ie every house or building in incremental order because its possible the telephone lines were run in different order and there may be more complex upgrade work needed for certain buildings to make it available, while other buildings which may have been constructed at a later date may have the necessary infastructure in place. So in plain english, you will get it but there is no accurate estimated time because also equiptment vendors can also postpone the deployment due to limited hardware availability, customer demand, inventory supply, and project managers can change things on the fly.
post #21 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-02-19, 02:58 PM

You also mention you live in an apartment building next to houses, it could also be a question of indoor wiring of your building, too old/not good enough to carry the speeds required for Fibe. Which wouldn't be a problem for the actual standalone houses.
post #22 of 98 (permalink) Old 2013-02-20, 06:46 AM

I agree with all of these things. It's just irritating to have the site provide different, often conflicting information, over the course of 2 years. Specifically since I could search by my address and they know what buildings are apartments.

But to be fair, none of the buildings in the surrounding 300 metres East, West and South of me have Fibe TV available.

I suppose it's par for the course for Bell though... I want the service, not the customer service (and by extension, I suppose, the ability to reasonably know when Fibe TV is coming an area).
post #23 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-03-30, 10:32 AM

Fibe TV in highrise - feasible?

Apologies to the moderator if this question appears elsewhere - I did a search but could not find anything.

When I retire in a few months we plan on selling the house and renting for a while (at least a year) until we decide where we want to settle. The buildings we are interested in are cabled for Rogers (I really don't want Rogers!), and Bell satellite (which we currently have) is not an option. Is Fibe TV/Internet easily available or feasible in highrise apartment buildings? (I specify highrise rather than, say, renting a house or duplex). We would only need one receiver.

At present I have Fibe 15/10 internet coming in through a phone jack with a splitter to a phone and cabled to the modem. From there it's cable to desktop, and wifi to the laptop and tablet as well as DNLA bluray player.

Would a similar setup be feasible in an apartment, but perhaps with the modem being cabled directly to the Fibe receiver and the desktop computer going wifi? In other words, no ethernet cabling to additional receivers needed. We are in Ottawa.

Thanks.
post #24 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-03-30, 11:06 AM

Fibe internet is potentially available in a highrise but there is some setup and cabling external to your apartment that is required in their wiring room. Suggest you check the "is it available at this address" to see if it has already been done or call customer support.

As for connectivity, modem and Fibe receiver is contained in one box (the Sagemcom), and this is connected to the PVR either by coax or ethernet. Wifi is available for other devices.
post #25 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-03-30, 04:10 PM

Thanks. When I said Fibe receiver I meant the PVR.
post #26 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-03-30, 09:36 PM

Yes. Fibe PVR = Fibe Receiver.
post #27 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-03-31, 11:08 PM
Rookie

@Malcolm,
Friends of mine recently switched from Rogers to 'Fibe' TV in their hi-rise condo apartment in Ottawa. If you're expecting to get optical fiber right to your apartment, don't hold your breath. Instead, Bell will use the existing copper (phone) wiring in the building riser to get to the apartment. That connects to a DSL splitter (just like you have today) and terminates on the Sagem modem/router.

From the Sagem box, the IPTV signal needs to get connected to the 'Fibe' PVR/receiver. If the Sagem is co-located with the PVR & TV, it's a simple ethernet patch cable. But if the Sagem unit is in another room, you might need a new wire (a CAT-5 ethernet wire) run around the baseboards, up around the doors and windows to get to the desired TV location in the living room. Another option is to repurpose the Rogers coax wiring in the walls and use it to get the IPTV signal from the Sagem to the PVR. That's what Bell did at my friend's place.

The Sagem also contains a WiFi access point, which provides wireless internet access for laptops, iPads, desktop computer (with WiFi adapter), etc. Unfortunately, my friend has found the wireless coverage significantly worse that what he had before (he previously used a plain-vanilla D-Link access point with his cable modem). His condo is relatively small (two bedrooms), but the wireless coverage in the master bedroom is pitiful.

Your coverage from the Sagem is hard to predict. WiFi transmission in modern hi-rise buildings is a challenge due to the concrete/steel structure, steel studs in the walls, WiFi interference from adjacent units, etc. We may try using power line carrier adapters ("HomePlug") to get a better internet signal from the Sagem into the master bedroom.
post #28 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-04-01, 03:28 PM
Veteran

The D-Link access point can still be used. If wired internet is available in another room, simply place it there. If not, try using it to find a better spot for coverage. Using PowerLine adapters to put the access point in another room will also work. For better coverage, two access points can be active on the same channel and SSID but it doesn't make sense to put two in the same room.
post #29 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-04-02, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
For better coverage, two access points can be active on the same channel and SSID but it doesn't make sense to put two in the same room.
It's not advisable to configure two nearby access points on the same channel. The competing signals will increase the noise floor and potentially corrupt each other due to co-channel interference. The best design to improve WiFi coverage is to deploy the two access points in different locations (different rooms, different floors), with the same SSID, but on different channels (choosing from 1, 6 or 11). Configure the two APs with the same radio protocol (802.11g or 802.11n), the same security mode (typically WPA2), and the same password. Mobile clients will then roam back and forth between the two APs seamlessly, choosing whichever AP provides the best signal.

I've adopted this approach with three different APs running a mix of 2.4GHz and 5 GHz (4 radios in total), and it works very well.
post #30 of 98 (permalink) Old 2014-05-24, 07:44 PM

Puzzled

We are moving in a few weeks, but we are switching from satellite to Fibe TV before we move. In order, so I thought, to speed up the scheduled installation I moved the Sagecom modem from the phone jack currently used to one by the TV. However, try as I might I could not get an internet connection. Note that I did not use the filtrr for this. The jack and phone cable are OK (or at least a phone works off them). Putting the modem back to the original phone jack got the internet back.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in