Use Bell Fibe TV Receiver as Ethernet Hub - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-17, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Use Bell Fibe TV Receiver as Ethernet Hub

I believe this may have been asked before, but I am unable to get a clear answer.

I live in an open concept condo. I currently have bell Fibe to the home (FTTH) 50/50.

the condo was built last year and was pre-wired and the router/sagemcom had to be installed in my closet of my second bedroom.

I have my TV setup in my living room which is on the other end of the condo.
I have a ps4, fibe receiver, HTPC and some other devices with my TV.
The wifi is very bad in my condo, so I'd like to have an ethernet connection sent to my living room. The problem is running the cable neatly is quite difficult but not impossible.
I am wondering if there is any other solution, such as using the Bell Fibe Tv receivers ethernet port to feed internet to an ethernet switch and then to my devices. Or is there another easier solution?
I want to continue to use my Fibe Receiver to watch TV and record properly. I do have a second receiver in one of the bedrooms as well.

BTW, i've tried several Powerline's and they were pretty much giving the same speed as my Wifi.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-17, 07:09 PM
Veteran

So I assume your Fibe STB's boxes are connected via COAX? I have heard that the Ethernet port can be used to connect other devices. One way to find out. Do it. Connect your PS4 via Ethernet to the port on the back of the STB and see if it works. If it does, then simply connect a router and you should be able to connect other devices.

Note - you won't be getting Gigabit Ethernet speeds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-21, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

That's what I did. Turns out it works quite well (for my needs).
I used the ethernet from the bell fibe box to feed a second router and then feed other devices.
When i check my router settings it is receiving the signal form the bell fibe receiver as an HPNA device (which as mentioned does not give a gigabit spee) but for my needs the speed is much better than my Wifi.

I have no issues with my receivers when trying to watch tv.
So far its been running flawlessly.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-21, 02:25 PM

Be careful doing this long term, the chips were designed for one or the other, hpna or Ethernet. You can use both, but the controlling chip gets hot doing it, you may burn it out early.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-21, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. ill unplug one of them when i know i am not using one for long term use.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-21, 05:15 PM

If you're renting the box, they'll replace it if it does anyway
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-22, 10:59 AM

But you loose all your recordings when the box is replaced. My recordings will peak at over 100 during some winter periods and drop down to 15-20 (my permanent pack rat recordings) during summer rerun period.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-02-24, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I am indeed renting/financing it for another 2 years. Then i own it. So i am covered for 2 years!

I have two fibe boxes at home, one of course a PVR and the other a regular receiver. I think i will place the PVR in my second room where I am not using it as a hub. That way, should something go wrong, I only have to replace my second receiver and won't lose my recordings.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-10-02, 12:47 PM

I have had Fibe TV for almost 5 years now, and since day 1 i have always had the PVR connected via Coax and i have my blu ray player plugged into the ethernet port on the back of the PVR to stream Netflix and it has never given me any issues whatsoever, it works just fine. and like i said it has been 5 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in