CBC, CTV news from other cities? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-21, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question CBC, CTV news from other cities?

One thing we like with Rogers is seeing CBC or CTV of other cities, to see their local news (where friends or family might be). On Fibe "Better" pkg, there is just "CBC". I hope that would be the CBC of the city I'm in such as CBC Ottawa and not a generic nationwide CBC?

The CBC of other cities do have specific channel numbers on Fibe, Ottawa is ch 205, Montreal is 231, Toronto is 267, Vancouver is 272. Bell (and I asked!!) has no web page or pdf they can send, that lists by channel number what channels you get in the Better pkg. There is just one list of all channels, no indication which pkg they come in. Can anyone with a Better pkg see multiple city-specific CBC or CTV stations and do they actually show those cities local news?

Fibe does seem to have better technology and it would save a lot switching to them, but if we can only see CBC and CTV from our own city, that's hard to understand and would kill the whole deal.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-21, 04:23 AM

Shaw Direct gives you just about all the locals in HD for a small (time shift) fee to there Basic Package.
I enjoy watching the local news from across Canada too
Gives you a better understanding on what's going on in Canada.

Last edited by 57; 2013-07-21 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-21, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Thats what I wished Bell Fibe would do? Offer the exact same locals BELL TV does(every single local) as a "Time Shifting package.

As for the question? Can't answer for better package, but on the Fibe IPG along with the channel it also lkist where it's from. Here's what we get in Ottawa

CB#---IPG------------Station

101---SRC-O----------SRC Ottawa
102---V-G-------------V Gatineau
103---TVA-G----------TVA Gatineau
114---CTYML----------City TV Montreal
171---V-MTL----------V Montreal
172---TVAML----------TVA Montreal
175---SRCMn----------SRC Moncton
178---SRCVr-----------SRC Vancouver
201---CTV-O-----------CTV Ottawa
202---CTV2O-----------CTV TWO Ottawa
203---GLBTo------------GLobal Toronto
204---CTYTo-----------City TV Toronto
205---CBC-O----------CBC Ottawa

Time Shifting

230---CTVML--------CTV Montreal
251---CTV-H--------CTV Halifax
253---CTVVr--------CTV Vancouver
258---CTV2E--------CTV TWO Atlantic
260---CTV2V--------CTV Vancouver
266---CBCFn---------CBC Fredericton
270--- CBCTo--------CBC Toronto
271---CBC-C---------CBC Calgary
272---CBCVr---------CBC Vancouver
273---CBC-E---------CBC Edmonton
275---GLBHx---------Global Halifax
277---GLBVr----------Global Vancouver
281---CTYVr----------City TV Vancouver

So on the IPG you do get where the affilate is from. Also if you go to the custom guide(which has all the channels available in your mapped city)it tells you the CH#,Affiliate,Affiliate/City,Station call letters).

As well if have Fibe TV you can go online and see your TV Guide for your own specific channels you sub to in a TV Guide format.

Also I'm not sure of the link but bell does list their channels(alpha style not number style) and it says where the channels from.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-29, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, I received a call back from Bell today after logging a complaint that Bell couldn't tell me what news channels were in their packages. The person was in the upper levels of IPTV and explained the timeshifting channels available for each city were different and depended on different agreements with the source stations. So Ottawa could see CBC Halifax and two or three other ones, but couldn't get CBC Toronto! (Sorry guys, perhaps nothing happens in TO).

Also, he couldn't find a guide that showed what channels and timeshifting channels a customer in Ottawa would get. What, someone in Bell doesn't have this info either?? He admitted the best way is to find a store with IPTV and play with the guide myself.

All very sad, Bell seems to have way better tech, free PVR and remote boxes, wifi, and even before combining my Fibe16 DSL I'd save 60/mnth. Now just because they don't carry CBC,CTV from the other major Cdns cities, we're going to end up stuck with Rogers.

Bell needs to get more major stations from other cities into their timeshifting pkgs.
Andy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-30, 02:17 AM

As a minimum, you would expect any stations in the time-shifting package to be in a different time-zone, no?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-30, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

True, calling the other cities time-shifted isn't correct.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-31, 08:11 AM
Veteran

if I lived in TO, I could care less about Vancouver, and vice versa.
Sure if it was free I'd take it, but to ask me to pay for it, sorry no way.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-07-31, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
if I lived in TO, I could care less about Vancouver, and vice versa.
Sure if it was free I'd take it, but to ask me to pay for it, sorry no way.
So, you actually do care about Vancouver somewhat, but not enough to pay for it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in