Signal delay - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Signal delay

I have 2 TVs in adjacent rooms. Both are connected via coax. Because of the layout of the house, you can hear both TVs from either room. Coax goes from the Sagecom back to my old Rogers demarc, into a splitter. TV A is just below splitter, about 10 feet of coax. TV B is in the next room, about 30 feet of coax. TV B is consistantly about 2-3 seconds ahead of TV A. Not a big deal if they are tuned to different channels, but if both sets are on the same channel, it can get quite distracring. Why would the signal be off by that much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 05:40 PM
Veteran

^^^^
It's because the signal has to travel further to the other room. ;-)

Actually, it depends on the delay within the sets. Some are faster than others. Also, if you pass through an A/V receiver, that may add it's own delay. Unlike analog TVs, there is a lot of digital processing, buffering etc. that delays when the sound and image appear.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Weirdly enough, the TV that gets the signal first is connected to the slower STB, a 1232 and an A/V receiver. The other is through a 2202 straight to the TV.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 06:22 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Well then, you have your answer. The "slower" STB is causing the delay and perhaps there is some impact going through the AVR and perhaps some impact if the TVs are different or have different settings.. Switch STBs and see what happens, or simply put up with it.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 08:36 PM

It's not really "signal" but IP traffic. If you have both TVs on the exact same channel long enough they should be lined up more.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Well then, you have your answer. The "slower" STB is causing the delay and perhaps there is some impact going through the AVR and perhaps some impact if the TVs are different or have different settings.. Switch STBs and see what happens, or simply put up with it.
?? Signall goes out of the Sagecomm to a splitter, to both STB. The slower STB connected to an A/V receiver is ahead of the faster STB.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthancable View Post
It's not really "signal" but IP traffic. If you have both TVs on the exact same channel long enough they should be lined up more.
They never line up.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 11:24 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I'm on Rogers, so box boxes get the signal at the same time. I can hear a difference between my living room & bedroom TVs. They're on opposite sides of the same wall.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-07-01, 12:42 AM

The 1232 is a PVR and the 2202 is a regular set-top-box (STB), so there's probably a difference in the way the TV streams are processed. In the "old days", there would be a slight delay on the PVR, because the TV stream was buffered before it was displayed.

Now that the PVR can buffer streams for STBs for pause and rewind of live programs, I'm not sure what the impact will be.

You could try changing the channels on both boxes to clear the buffers and see if they will sync up - probably a long shot.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-07-01, 09:13 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Actually, there's a delay on everything, because of the way digital TV is transmitted. A full frame is transmitted periodically and only the difference is transmitted for the other frames. There is both forward and backward difference frames, but I've forgotten the details of how it all works (I and P frames come to mind). Regardless, buffering is part of the process for receiving digital TV, in order to reassemble the frames.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-07-01, 09:18 AM

I don't know for sure but it is my understanding that the signal from the network is recorded on the PVR and then streamed to each connected TV independently. When watching the same show it is possible to pause one TV and continue to watch the other. I believe the delay would is because of the starting of the second stream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in