Wifi problems with Bell modem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Wifi problems with Bell modem

Hi all,

I switched from Videotron to Bell Fibe last September. Mostly because of the way better TV offerings. Since I've been with Bell Fibe though, we've noticed that our wifi is really bad! Our Bell modem is placed in our basement office, hooked up to our desktop computer. According to my kids, the wifi is either really slow or completely unresponsive the higher you move up the house (typical cottage with basement, ground level and bedrooms on top).

My modem is in the same location where we kept the Videotron modem and we never experienced wifi problems with them. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:14 AM
tlb

Did you go into your router settings and try a different channel and/or increase transmit power ?

Settings -- Wireless -- General
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

The Bell techs have tried changing us to a different channel - it made no difference.

They never mentioned anything about increasing transmit power through router settings (and I wouldn't know how to do that). They said I could try buying a range extender.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 10:37 AM

We have had the same problem when we "upgraded" our package from Fibe 16 to 25.
I wish we had left it be and not changed. Bell had to change the modem from our white modem to this larger black unit which does not have the same range or bandwidth capacity. My family hates the new service and good luck trying to talk India for tech help! My advise to anybody considering Fibe 25 is do not switch since it is a not what the promise.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 01:53 PM

Quote:
good luck trying to talk India for tech help
Press "2" for Canadian service - a well-known trick
Quote:
larger black unit which does not have the same range or bandwidth capacity
An inexpensive second router or range extender, placed on an upper floor if you can run Cat 5/6 cable to it, would do the trick and soothe the family feelings.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 04:30 PM

All Fibe TV support folks are in Montreal, Toronto or Ottawa.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 05:46 PM
tlb

Quote:
All Fibe TV support folks are in Montreal, Toronto or Ottawa
And dial the number listed on the front of the PVR, not 310-BELL. My personal experience with the folks at the Fibe desk is: outstanding service !
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman_C View Post
Press "2" for Canadian service - a well-known trick

An inexpensive second router or range extender, placed on an upper floor if you can run Cat 5/6 cable to it, would do the trick and soothe the family feelings.
Do range extenders work? Any preferred brands?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 01:12 PM

We had Bell Tech in yesterday and basically confirmed that the new black modem's range is a lot less for WIFI for the house. He re installed the modem on the main floor to improve the range from the basement were it was before. It is a lot better now although you would think a newer Fibe modem would have better range for WIFI.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 03:09 PM
Rookie

Its a well known fact the wifi on the sagemcom is weaker than the wifi signal on yhe 2wire. The basement on a 3 level house is the worst possible location for the modem if your depending on using the wireless from the sagemcom. I have been on many call backs for poor wireless signal and majority of the time all is needed is to centralize the modem.

Technicians are not really supposed to install them in the basement unless the customer really wants it there, but we still tell them about how weak the signal may be upstairs.

The only time I will install them in the basement is if the customer has there own router they will hook up and have a cat5 run to it or its doable to get a cat5 run to it. Most new houses have cat5 prewired so thats never an issue with those.

If you have wifi issues and subscribe to fibe tv then make sure you call 18667978686 and not 310-bell and tell them your situation and they will more than likely disppatch a yech to move modem.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Should I bother trying a range extender first?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 11:11 PM
Rookie

i would recommend u get a new router that can handle the size of ur home even if bell relocates the mdm to the main floor its still not guaranteed that the wifi will cover the whole house save urself the head ache and get a new router if u call the 866-797-8686 unfortunately bell does not guarantee the wifi its an option
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 01:28 PM

"Its a well known fact the wifi on the sagemcom is weaker than the wifi signal on yhe 2wire. The basement on a 3 level house is the worst possible location for the modem if your depending on using the wireless from the sagemcom. I have been on many call backs for poor wireless signal and majority of the time all is needed is to centralize the modem."

FYI..if it was common knowledge when the first "Bell Tech" came to install the new black fibe modem in the basement were the two wire was for years, shouldn't he have said something?They do this for a living and I would have to assume would know it would cause a problem for wifi reception.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-09-23, 10:17 PM

I'm also having issue with the Wifi from Bell Fibe. I've called them many times to let them know but all they do is tell you to unplug the modem, and restart. I think we all know that is not the solution. I'm so angry with their service. It doesn't matter where I put it...........I can be 1 foot away from the wifi modem and still have a severely weak signal. I get more signal from the houses around me. They NEED to do better, there is no way that a supposedly better Bell Fibe should have a crappy wifi signal. I honestly want to change back to what I had before. OR, switch companies. I rely on wifi alot for the work I do in my house and if I'm not getting it, I'd rather get it somewhere else.......seriously. Not impressed with Bell.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2015-09-24, 10:19 PM

All combo modem / routers have issues. If you have an issue, regardless of carrier, you are better off getting your own access point.

For Bell in order from worst to best;
Cellpipe
Sagemcom
HomeHub 1000
HomeHub 2000

That said, any stand alone router or access point on the same generation level as above (AC/N/G) will give better performance then the combo devices.

If you have a Cellpipe or Sagemcom and are having an issue, the HomeHubs are absolutely better, insist that Bell sends you a new device, they will if asked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in