Wifi problems with Bell modem - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-01-02, 04:07 PM
Rookie

Im having the same issues with connectivity on wireless in our house. Spoke to a bell tech while I was out walking my dog today and he confirmed the combo modems are the problem, there are internal communication issues when it splits the fibe signal from the internet signal causing weak signal/dropout issues. Phoned bell and they are sending a tech with a replacement modem tomorrow. I will update after they have done the service call!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-04-03, 01:03 PM

I suggest checking your antivirus program. Some do really slow down the connection, I know I had Kaparsky and it was even freezing by tv, just to show how it slowed the internet.

If you have several pc or laptop, start one at a time and do a speed test have only one connected and see which one slows down the most.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-06-07, 09:44 PM
Veteran

Got the Sagecomm unit (black box) here with Fibe TV (cat5/6 connection to pvr).

New problem that's cropped up in the last week:

If a wifi device (Samsung GSIII phone or iPad) is "out of range" for a period of time, upon reentering the wifi area the portable device flatly refuses to authenticate / connect. No password error, just refuses to authenticate.

Doing a power cycle of the phone for instance, does NOT fix the issue.

"forgetting" the wifi setup on the portable device, and reentering the password does NOT fix the issue.

However, if I disable wifi from the front panel of the Sagecomm (long press), wait 2 minutes, then re enable wifi (long press of said button) then any device that wasn't connected will then connect without issues, until after some time period of either the portable device "leaving the premises" or "going to sleep" the cycle repeats. Devices that remain in contact with the Sagecomm remain connected.

Hope I've described this odd behavour clearly.

Anyone else experiencing this weird behavour? It never did this before. I could go away for a week or two, come home and the phone would pick up the wifi and connect, no problem.

Comments appreciated. (I do have a spare D-Link router, unused that I can press into service if needed)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 06:00 PM

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
Cameron, did your device(s) recently do O/S upgrades? I realize you mentioned both Android and Apple, but perhaps there is an app on both that got updated and is interfering?

I had a very similar problem with my wife's Nexus 5 about a year ago. I didn't catch it for almost a month and wondered why my data usage soared. There was no way to get it to connect (my identical phone worked fine, but we use different apps) until some weeks later the problem went away. Possibly the Sagemcom got an update or we had a power failure and it reset?

Rich
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 09:05 PM
Veteran

More observation has shown that the disconnects happen every time the Sagecomm hops from one channel (2.4g) to another channel.

It used to be ok, so I can only assume that the Bell Sagecomm has had some software / firmware updates.

Both the android phone and ipad lost connectivity this afternoon.

I then, with the help of a wifi diagnostic app on the android phone noticed the channel hop.

The ipad dutifully logged onto a neighbours wifi, which I removed that wifi from it's list of logged systems.

It would really be helpful if Bell would test this stuff before putting it in the wild.

Cameron

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-06-09, 08:30 AM

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
Bell? Test? That's an oxymoron. The 4K thread tells us who really does the testing for Bell.
CamDAB likes this.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2016-06-22, 05:04 PM
Veteran

The period of time the instability happened was before a promo switch from 25/10 to 50/10.

For the moment things have stabilized.

I can only surmise that there is some bizarre passthrough issue internal to the Bell Fibe setup and it's Internet connections and upstream configurations not responding to password transfer / verification.

The whole incident is just plain bizarre and shows some possible holes in the infrastructure.

Cameron

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-22, 11:23 AM

how to use home hub 1000 as a range extender?

We had to purchase our home hub 1000, so we still have it. We were offered a home hub 3000 and took the deal but have had terrible wifi issues - doesn't seem to have enough range to reach every part of our rather small house. I ran an ethernet cable to the old home hub 1000 in another part of the house but don't know how to set it to operate as a repeater/range extender, or whether it might pick up the wifi signal and boost it, instead. Any techies have any good ideas on how to make that work?

Steve Gilchrist
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2017-07-22, 02:11 PM
Veteran

I can suggest a generic way to turn most routers into an access point. An access point needs to be wired to the main router. Turning a router into a wireless or wifi repeater (not wired) is more firmware specific and may not be possible. An access point is usually preferable and provides better performance.

How to turn a router into an access point. The PC will likely need to be disconnected from the LAN to do this since the two routers may have conflicting static IPs.
1. Reset the router.
2. Connect to the router with a PC browser. The address should be something like 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1. The username and password will have been reset to the default. Check the manual or web to find these values.
3. Change the default password and save it to a password manager.
4. Turn off DHCP on the LAN ports.
5. Disable the WAN port or set it to static address. (Turn off DHCP, PPPOe, etc.) (There is no need to configure the WAN address.)
6. Disable or leave off any other services or settings that may interfere with the main router, such as local DNS.
7. Set a static LAN address for the router that is unique and outside the DHCP range of the main router. Something like 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 works. Make sure the the first 3 numbers are the same as the main router LAN (aka, on the same subnet) and the last number is unique.
8. Set up the wireless.
9. Plug the cable from the main router into one of the LAN ports.
10. It may be preferable to disable wifi on the main router.

This should work in most cases. It may be necessary to configure LAN and wireless bridging but that's usually only necessary for a wifi repeater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in