Adding extra Fibe TV boxes without a Bell visit? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-23, 06:49 PM
Rookie

Wanted to move from Videotron to Fibe. Bell store said they didn't sell the receivers only did rentals but had to buy them at The Source. Went to the Source and they had no idea what I was talking about. Wanted to sell me a satellite receiver. Not happy with my first experience with Fibe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-23, 07:45 PM
tlb

Quote:
Wanted to move from Videotron to Fibe. Bell store said they didn't sell the receivers only did rentals but had to buy them at The Source. Went to the Source and they had no idea what I was talking about. Wanted to sell me a satellite receiver. Not happy with my first experience with Fibe.
I would question why you would want to buy the PVR. Under my plan (two months ago) my main PVR is free (and I own it after two years) and my second receiver is $5 per month and I own it after 3 years. Total cost is $180 for two PVRs.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-24, 10:21 AM

You have a PVR in both boxes?

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-24, 10:53 AM
tlb

Quote:
You have a PVR in both boxes?
The main box is a VIP 2262 PVR which, I believe, holds the HDD. The box for my second TV is a VIP 2202 receiver which looks identical to the 2262, has an identical remote, and operates just like the main PVR - absolutely no difference. You can watch live HD TV, record programs and/or watch any recorded program from either box. Operation of the two boxes is completely transparent. The only difference between the boxes is that they each store their own favourites list.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-25, 11:46 AM
Rookie

AS of Jan. 27, the 3 year rental deal for HD box for $5.50 per month is gone. It is now $7 per month for 60 months before it becomes rent free. So rental for 3 years is now $252 and for 5 years $420, so I think purchase for $199 is the better deal. Deal for PVR also changed-now is rent free forever if you have 3 Bell services but you never own it.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-04-13, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the earlier tips. I finally had a chance to see the Fibe TV setup and have a couple more questions.

1. Bell put a 2202 box on coax and the 2262 PVR on Cat5. Is that just to free up an extra LAN port for computer use, or is there a significant difference? At first I thought the PVR was on coax and maybe there was a reliability issue, but it's the non-PVR.

2. Does anyone sell the $199 extra receiver except Bell? OP a year ago said FS does, but now they seem to have every brand but Bell. I realize we'd still have to register the box with Bell but want to avoid $50 for them to run a network cable.

3. I'm struggling with adding wired internet access where I can't run a cable. This would be for a Fibe TV receiver but also a VoIP ATA and a networked printer. I took an old Cisco E2000 router and added DD-WRT to it, then configured as a Wireless Bridge. IOW, the E2000 is in the distant location, connected by .11n to the Bell gateway, and then there are wired devices off the E2000. It works to a point but not well, not sure if it's a flaky router or my firmwall install. In any case, it's raised a couple of questions about the Fibe setup.

I've tested with the PVR at the remote location. It won't start up at all unless it's connected to the LAN, which as a long-time TiVo user surprised me. When I hooked up a cable to the E2000 and power cycled, it did work. Is the PVR just looking for the Bell gateway or is it actually going out on the internet? I don't think Bell is reliable enough for it to be the latter (no internet, no recorded programming!?). Can anyone say what specifically it's getting when connected? Also, it will play recorded programs (of course, because they're local) and will play OnDemand with a little pixellation, but it will only ever play ~5sec of live TV and then the signal is lost. What if anything is likely causing this problem with live TV but not OnDemand? And I haven't yet tested with PVR wired to the Bell gateway and Receiver at the distant location. Is it likely to work (like OnDemand or fail (like live TV)?

4. Finally, is there a forum here where I could discuss the Cisco E2000 with DD-WRT acting as a Wireless Bridge? I can start a thread here (because it's for Fibe TV) but wondered if there's a better area.

Thanks!
=aw
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-04-15, 11:44 AM

awebber, have you considered a powerline network connection instead of wireless (see page 1 of this thread)? If you would like to discuss the Cisco E2000 with DD-WRT configuration in general terms, you can use Home Computing. This forum is probably the best choice if you want to discuss it's operation with Fibe TV.

Wireless may not be a good choice for your location, depending on distance, interference, channels used, etc. The pixilation you are seeing suggests that your connection isn't fast and stable enough.

1. Bell probably chose to use existing cable - there shouldn't be a significant difference.

3. Fibe TV uses Microsoft Mediaroom which encrypts the TV streams. Before each recording can be played from the PVR, the STB does a key exchange with a Bell server at the headend to allow it to be decrypted, so it requires a network connection to Bell, but not necessarily to the rest of the internet.

Quote:
...it will only ever play ~5sec of live TV and then the signal is lost.
Mediaroom makes the initial connection for instant channel changing on live TV and then switches to multicast. Your secondary router must be configured to support IGMP snooping, multicast and UDP. I think OnDemand uses plain TCP/IP.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-04-16, 12:24 PM

I just learned that if i want to add a 3rd STB I have to pay a $75 technician visit, unless I pay the $200 to just buy it.

I have already used a STB where I want the 3rd one so they effectively want me to pay $75 and take a day off of work for a technician to call in a MAC address

; (
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-04-16, 10:22 PM

Note that with their new rental fees, buying it is much cheaper than renting (back in December, I think you owned it at the point where rental fees added up to $200).

Dr.Dave thanks for the advice. Powerline isn't an option and I'm going to see what else I can do.

Thanks again!
=aw
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-04-17, 10:52 AM

Quote:
1. Bell probably chose to use existing cable - there shouldn't be a significant difference.
It's actually a new hunk of cable, mounted on the baseboard and exactly the right length to reach the PVR and the Gateway. Maybe just for keeping a port free, maybe.

Quote:
3. Fibe TV uses Microsoft Mediaroom which encrypts the TV streams. Before each recording can be played from the PVR, the STB does a key exchange with a Bell server at the headend to allow it to be decrypted, so it requires a network connection to Bell, but not necessarily to the rest of the internet.
That's not as bad but it does seem to make needless assumptions about the quality of the connection.

Quote:
Your secondary router must be configured to support IGMP snooping, multicast and UDP. I think OnDemand uses plain TCP/IP.
I didn't set it up for any of those things. Guess I would either have to work on the router more, or get a purpose-built Entertainment Bridge, or wait for Bell to bring out the wireless receiver that AT&T offers.

Thanks again!
=aw
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-04-19, 03:26 PM

On further reflection and study, i think it _is_ the old coax, cut to reach the gateway exactly. For some reason i thought this technology required special advanced coax or something.

=aw
post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 12:42 PM

help

So when I had the technician out he hooked up everything and left some equipment behind. I have the main PVR unit and two additional Fibe units so three in total. They left an extra wifi unit and I want to hook it up to another TV that I have in my basement. Does anyone know if this is possible without calling Bell? If not does anyone have any ideas about what I should do with it? The also left an additional PVR unit because there were two technicians here. The first one left equipment but then the second one hooked everything up and didn't ask anyone about the other equipment. I wasn't home so my wife didn't know about the first visit.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 02:39 PM
Veteran

You can not activate any equipment without calling Bell. Most likely they would send a technician and charge you for activation fee.
All the equipment that technician left is useless because Bell fibe will not activate used or new equipment that was not authorized for rent or sale by them. I have tried that and I lost money buying used PVR.
If you had sold the equipment then the new owner would not be able to activate it and you could end up in trouble if bell decided to ask you to return this equipment in the future.
I would advise to return the equipment to avoid any problems with bell. Believe me it is not fun dealing with bell or the collection agency.
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-03-16, 04:58 PM

I'm looking to buy a used Bell VIP2262 but need to find out if it has been deactivated from the previous owner. I need the ROO and SOO but cannot for the life of me find it anywhere on the box itself. Does any have any suggestions please and thanks?
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 2017-03-16, 09:45 PM
Veteran

I think that all you need is a MAC numbers, make sure you call Bell before paying for the PVR.
I am not sure why would you want to buy it since Bell offers free rental.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in