Adding extra Fibe TV boxes without a Bell visit? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-10, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Well I would say it is because as a Rental Unit it will never belong to you, it will always belong to Bell.

If you buy one, you can do what you want with it.

It is exactly the same in the Bell TV world with Satellite Receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-10, 07:58 PM

You need a technician to install boxes you buy or rent. There is no way to activate them on the phone or on the interweb
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 12:35 AM

Quote:
$75.00 installation fees and 5.83 leasing per month and [the non-PVR receiver] is yours at end of 36 months.
Now it's $50 installation, $7/mo, and own it after 60 months. Or buy it for the same $199 as before. http://fibetv.bell.ca/en/receivers/#on

Quote:
Well I would say it is because as a Rental Unit it will never belong to you, it will always belong to Bell.
I believe with Fibe it was and is "own it after x months", as above.

Quote:
Just remember - only 1 PVR per account.
That's unfortunate because it breaks something I wanted to try. I realize it's 4 tuners and whole-home, but is there a way to watch one program off the PVR in the living room and another program (at the same time) off the PVR using an HD receiver in another room? I don't want to have to watch live TV in the bedroom if the living room PVR is being used!

Also, when you're accessing the PVR from an HD receiver, does it stream through the LAN? And can it be done with WiFi? Sorry, I've never seen a Fibe TV install yet. If anyone's posted pictures or videos of what their Fibe TV setup looks like, I'd love to see them.

Thanks!
=aw

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 01:25 AM

You can watch live and/or record 1 SD and 3 HD channels.

You can also watch up to 3 recorded programs at the same time, one of which has to be viewed on the TV connected to your PVR.

The boxes can be connected to the modem using coax cable (same as cable TV) or category 5 Ethernet cable. Bell doesn't have a Wi-Fi STB.

The communication between the STB and the PVR happens over the LAN and the TV with the STB can do everything that the PVR can do - you can't really tell the difference.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 03:08 AM

Awebber:
It is even more complicated than that! If you're watching live TV on any STB, there's a temporary copy being recorded on the PVR. You can watch a n hour long show, live, and just before the end, press RECORD, and the whole thing is recorded. It's what allows you to pause and rewind "live" TV...
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 07:47 AM

Actually to correct Dr Dave you can watch 2 HD or 1 SD recording on a non-PVR box plus one on the PVR, unless you have live TV paused which will reduce that number as pausing using the same buffer space.

I believe this restriction is to maintain the quality as the streams travel on the home network.

This can be confirmed by going into your settings
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 05:41 PM

Dr.Dave, I'm disappointed to hear there's no WiFi option (I'm used to having 2 TiVos (Series 2 DT) in one house, sometimes cabled and sometimes on a .11g wireless connection through the USB port. Sounds like the Bell PVR's USB connection doesn't serve any purpose?

Since the secondary Receiver is expecting a wired connection, has anyone experimented with a second router, connected to the Bell gateway by .11n and then offering a wired connection locally? The scenario I'm thinking of would have an HD Receiver where it wouldn't be practical to run ethernet cable. Originally I anticipated I could get a wireless adapter like TiVo's, but could I connect a second router/access point at the inconvenient location, then plug in the HD Receiver?

John769, interesting that it's buffering all those live streams. How much bandwidth does Fibe TV take at its max use?

betterthancable, does that mean you can't have an SD recording going on the PVR and an SD recording going on each of the 2 other boxes? Surely HD takes more bandwidth than SD? Mostly this would be watching HD, but it looks like a lot of stations are still in SD only. I know from a HD TiVo connected to Comcast in FL, a 30min HD show is about 3.5GB and a 30min SD show is about 0.5GB (misreported by the TiVo as 2.05GB but that's a bug).

Thanks again!
=aw
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 07:54 PM

AT&T Uverse has wireless boxes, I assume Bell will have them soon enough.

The four incoming feeds can be all SD if you want or 2 HD and 2 SD, but there can be only 4 max.

For those from the PVR to the other boxes the limit is 3 (they can all be SD but only 2 can be HD) these are pausing live TV on the non-PVR or watching recordings on non-PVR total to 3.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 07:55 PM

I have read the folks have hooked up a TIVo to a Fibe receiver but could only record SD via the RCA connection
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 08:51 PM

re: TiVo, could be, I think that's essentially how it worked with an old STB so it's possible.

At another location, we may keep the HD TiVo active (for OTA). The old Series 2 isn't worth paying a monthly fee for, but one has a lifetime service so any use is better than no use.

re: AT&T, I saw a cute commercial for the wireless, the kid talking to his grandfather about even younger kids and how they didn't appreciate the flexibility of a U-Verse wireless. I was expecting more of a "back to when we had rabbit ears" but that may be too old for most of the audience. But as I recall from not paying much attention, wasn't that wireless from the PVR to the TV?

I do hope there's a wireless solution, either from Bell or as a workaround for wired boxes.

=aw
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-13, 08:58 PM

Quote:
AT&T Uverse has wireless boxes, I assume Bell will have them soon enough.
I read on another forum that they are being tested atm.

I posted in another thread but my solution was to purchase 2 powerline adaptors ($33) to connect via ethernet to my power outlet and my FibeTV STB worked perfectly on every channel (unit in kitchen, Sagecom in basement), I could not tell a difference vs coax.

YMMV depending on the wiring in your home
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-19, 08:31 PM

Thanks for that.

I (may) want to extend my LAN to a location where cable (Cat 5, coax, powerline) is not practical. Normally I could just use wireless but I might want to put a Fibe box there (and I definitely want to put a wired VoIP ATA there).

Is there something I can do with (e.g.) another router at the new location, connecting to the existing router by wireless, and offering wired connections for Fibe TV and/or ATA etc.?

Thanks!
=aw
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-19, 09:49 PM

This site really doesn't like you to link other websites

lookup Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter on Amazon

In theory you plug the STB to that and it will transmit to the Sagecom

I honestly have no idea if that would work however
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-20, 10:25 PM

Thanks, I'm not entirely clear what the Sagecom is. Is that the FibeTV box?

It looks like the WES-610 is the same but with four wired ports. And there's a Range Extender RE-1000 that seems to serve the same function ("one ethernet port to act as a bridge").

It sounds like a "bridge" is what I'm looking for. I have a Cisco 2500 router (not on the Bell network) that I rather like so these are a good place to start.

Thanks!
=aw
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 12:32 AM

So I guess a "wireless bridge" is what I'm proposing to build. Lots of references to that. Looks like I could even donate my old E2500 router, though I'd have to change the firmware to DD-WRT. If I set up the E2500 (w/DD-WRT) as the "Client Bridged" device, can I leave the Bell router as-is? IOW have the E2500 be just another wireless device?

The Bell documentation for the Wireless N Home Networking Hub is pretty sparse. Does it have the usual 4 ethernet ports on the back? Is it really called something else that I could get a proper manual for? And is there anything in the way Bell has configured this thing, that would prevent connecting a wireless bridge to it (e.g. refusing connections from Cisco devices)?

Finally, does anyone sell the HD Receivers other than Bell directly? FS and even The Source websites don't seem to have any knowledge of them. It would be nice to avoid buying from Bell, even if there's no discount.

Thanks!
=aw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in