CAT5 and Fibe TV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 05:39 PM

you said you have a spare vip 1232? where did you get it? did bell just send you too many recievers or did you buy it previosly from somewhere else. if it wasn't from bell they may not be able to activate it if you choose to use it in your setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 07:46 PM
Rookie

I'm setup like this too (having one receiver via Ethernet and 2 others via Coax). The TV that's in the same room as the Bell Cellpipe is connected via Ethernet cable to it's PVR.

The other two tv's that are in 2 different rooms are connected via Coax to their HD receivers.

Is there a reason why this shouldn't be done? It's been set up like this for over a year with no issues.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 07:51 PM

There's nothing wrong with using the network port and coax from the modem, but it's been suggested not to use the receiver as a bridge to go from coax to network.

Panasonic TC32LX60 | Denon AVR890 | Klipsch RB-61 / RC-10 / RW-10D | Motorola VIP 1232 (Bell Fibe)

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-02-01, 01:26 PM

I just got FibeTV installed and so far am very happy. In regards to your question about cabling, you can run Cat5 from the modem to the STB's. There are 4 LAN ports on the Sagemcom. These can be used for STB's or PC internet connections. Check out Bell's support page for more details - Bell's Sagemcom support page

I already had Cat5 running to my 2 TV's for BluRay/Netflix etc services. The installer clipped the ends of the Cat5 cables and split them in a 2 plug box, at the moden and each TV (4 boxes total). The great thing is I can now get the TV signal and internet through the single Cat5 cable - i still need to plug in to 4 ports.

Additionally I ran one Cat5 to my wireless router where I connect my PC's to - both wired and wireless. Everything worked like a charm. The only negative is that the router download speeds are a few mb/s less than directly connecting to the modem (21 vs 24). But in order to be able to share drives, printers, homegroups, etc. I had to have all computers connected to the router.

I must also say that the installation and service was one of the best I've experienced. Knowledgeable, courteous, and professional. Excellent.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Surface mount install? bah!

I just got FibeTV installed 2 days ago. Picture quality is great, but I've only really watched an hour or so of SD signal (VoD of an SD program), so no real watching of an HD program yet.

However, I have to say that I'm not overly happy with the install quality. The staff was great, however, but he was only prepared to do surface mounting of the jacks. I guess I was expecting in-wall installation, with the wires hidden. The installer drilled holes through the hardwood floors to get into the basement. *grr*. Fortunately, I had cat5e running to my HTPC in the living room already, so no additional holes in the living room.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 09:24 PM
Rookie

POE Homeplug

I recently posted an article on another local forum telling people that FIBE TV was now available in my area. I was under the assupmtion that Bell would either use CAT5 or COAX to make all the STB connections, but someone indicated they use these POE homeplug devices to connect everyhting up. Can anyone confirm this?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-08, 10:03 PM

They use Cat5 or coax for the network connections. They may use a home plug for your PC if it's too far from the modem for wireless
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-03-09, 01:28 PM

they use coax or Cat5 for STB's (TV). they only use Cat5 for internet connections if needed.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-04-18, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh626pro
I already had Cat5 running to my 2 TV's for BluRay/Netflix etc services. The installer clipped the ends of the Cat5 cables and split them in a 2 plug box, at the moden and each TV (4 boxes total). The great thing is I can now get the TV signal and internet through the single Cat5 cable - i still need to plug in to 4 ports.
There is one minor downside to this type of installation.
Splitting the Cat5 means you only have two pairs of wires to each port. This limits the throughput to 100 Mbit/s on each port. 1000 Mbit/s (1 Gbit/s) devices won't connect at their full potential speed.
The ports on the TV receivers are limited to 100 Mbit/s anyway but other devices like computers could take advantage of the higher 1 Gbit/s speed.
This has very little affect on Internet speed but would slow file transfer from another 1 Gbit/s computer.
The alternative is using all 4 pairs and a network switch. I use a 5 port switch at each TV so I can connect the receiver, a game console and some type of computer.
I also use an 8 port switch in the basement. One port is the input from Bell's modem with 7 outputs throughout the house.

My receivers are all connected with Cat5E because I had it running through my home already. They used my Ethernet switch (1 Gbit/s 8 port) but left me a 5 port 10/100 Mbit/s switch "just in case". The installer said I already had better equipment than Bell would supply anyway.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-05-02, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh626pro View Post
I just got FibeTV installed and so far am very happy. In regards to your question about cabling, you can run Cat5 from the modem to the STB's. There are 4 LAN ports on the Sagemcom. These can be used for STB's or PC internet connections. Check out Bell's support page for more details - Bell's Sagemcom support page

Additionally I ran one Cat5 to my wireless router where I connect my PC's to - both wired and wireless. Everything worked like a charm. The only negative is that the router download speeds are a few mb/s less than directly connecting to the modem (21 vs 24). But in order to be able to share drives, printers, homegroups, etc. I had to have all computers connected to the router.

I must also say that the installation and service was one of the best I've experienced. Knowledgeable, courteous, and professional. Excellent.
Quote:
Did you know that the Sagencom support Pppoe passtrought ? this mean that you can set your router to have it's own external IP address and not share behind the sagencom. If you don't want to do that, set the routeur to acces point to avoid the nat duplication of the sagencom_your router.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-05-02, 09:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus.black View Post
There is one minor downside to this type of installation.
Splitting the Cat5 means you only have two pairs of wires to each port. This limits the throughput to 100 Mbit/s on each port. 1000 Mbit/s (1 Gbit/s) devices won't connect at their full potential speed.
The ports on the TV receivers are limited to 100 Mbit/s anyway but other devices like computers could take advantage of the higher 1 Gbit/s speed.
This has very little affect on Internet speed but would slow file transfer from another 1 Gbit/s computer.
The alternative is using all 4 pairs and a network switch. I use a 5 port switch at each TV so I can connect the receiver, a game console and some type of computer.
I also use an 8 port switch in the basement. One port is the input from Bell's modem with 7 outputs throughout the house.

My receivers are all connected with Cat5E because I had it running through my home already. They used my Ethernet switch (1 Gbit/s 8 port) but left me a 5 port 10/100 Mbit/s switch "just in case". The installer said I already had better equipment than Bell would supply anyway.
What, they gave you a switch ?? I would very much like you to PM me the details of your instalation ...

Also, the Homeplug poe device is a last recourse method to connect pc's to internet. Bell does not want to use them for stb's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in