Call Display on Fibe tv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Call Display on Fibe tv

The other day, I went to Bell Boutique(store) and while talking to one rep. He told me that if I have Call Display on my Bell phone line, I could see the display on the TV, by connecting a special wire from the wall plug to the Fibe tv PVR.

He told he didn't recall the type of wire, I called Bell tech and spoke to them about this subject and they told me, on the Bell Satellite it can be done cause the Satellite PVR has a phone jack on the rear but not the Fibe PVR.

Anyone of you is aware of the call display on the fibe tv. tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 06:59 PM

My understanding is it's not available on Fibe (yet....hopefully.)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 08:31 PM

Ya - not sure what the 'special' wire would be. The Fibe receiver doesn't have a phone jack in it....however, i heard some small rumors there could be a new PVR some time in the future that has the modem built right into it - so that might be what would allow for call display.

I know hearing of a new STB already might sound crazy to some of you considering how new FibeTV is, but the Motorolla PVR we've got right now is actually not exactly 'new'. I don't know exactly, but I bet the Motrolla VIP1200 series STB's are pushing about 4 or 5 years old (if not more). Just look at the cable that's used to connect the hard drive to the board...it's a parallell ATA cable.

Anyways - that aside, i doubt you'd plug a cable into the Fibe receiver to get call display. It would probably work throgh the IP network if anything.

Panasonic TC32LX60 | Denon AVR890 | Klipsch RB-61 / RC-10 / RW-10D | Motorola VIP 1232 (Bell Fibe)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-05, 11:20 PM

I don't understand how you could put the modem which connects the Internet and the TV into one of TV receivers in the house. Sounds like the person feeding the rumour is smoking the wrong stuff.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

My feeling is that either this wire is phone jack at one end and USB at the other end or he was smoking crack. LOL
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-06, 10:49 AM

I think the original store rep was probably confusing Fibe TV with satellite. All the other telcos that use Mediaroom have call display working through the existing STB connection. There aren't any extra wires.

I can describe the way it works with MTS - I think the other telcos are similar.

The call display info is passed from the telephone switch in the central office to servers at the TV head-end. The call display message is then passed to the STBs in the home along with all the other data and appears on the screen. The call history is also stored on servers at the head-end and an app can be loaded on the STB to display call history and delete individual or all numbers in the history.

I think integrating the telephone switch with Mediaroom is a complex task and I recall with MTS that the central offices were added one at a time over an extended period of time. There were also issues at the beginning where not all calls were displayed. They eventually got everything working properly but it wasn't a trivial task. I think that another complicating issue is that most telcos have a variety of telephone switches purchased over the years (or decades) which makes the integration more complex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in