Digital audio (no audio when two channel) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Digital audio (no audio when two channel)

Hi,
I have a sound issue with my VIP 1232. I set up the digital audio to surround sound to use my AV receiver. When the commercials aren't in 5.1, i get no sound at all.
Is there a way to set up my VIP 1232 so i don't have to change the digital audio in order to get both stereo and surround sound according to the feed ?
I'm using an hdmi cable and an optical fibre in the optical output.

Last edited by tidann; 2011-10-27 at 10:13 AM. Reason: adding infos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 11:38 AM

There are only 2 settings for audio - stereo and surround sound. Most people don't have the problem you have, so I suspect it may be your AV receiver. Try changing the modes your receiver will accept to see if you can find a setting that works. If that isn't successful, post the make and model of your AV receiver (and a link to the on-line manual if you have it) and someone here may be able to help.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 03:53 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Why do you have HDMI and Optical? It's possible that the AVR is "hunting" between the two. What is the make/model of the AVR? Does it handle HDMI audio?

Here's the FAQ on DD5.1:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Here's a useful post for newbies - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 04:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
When the commercials aren't in 5.1, i get no sound at all.
What is the make/model of the AVR? I would guess that you've turned off the main speakers. If the AVR has buttons for A and B speakers, make sure that the A speakers are turned on. You are probably also listening to the incoming DD2.0 stream as "stereo" (which uses the main speakers), instead of decoding the DD2.0 stream to Dolby Pro Logic. Of course this would affect any DD2.0 programming, not just the commercials.

Of course the main speakers (LF & RF) would be off for the DD5.1 programming too...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-29, 07:05 PM
Rookie

no sound for dolby digital

i have the same problem i have no audio on my surround sound unless i put so volume on the bell reciever.i have a sony str-de935 reciever.worked fine with bell express vu
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 08:28 AM

I think you're confusing your AVR. I have my HDMI connected to my Denon AVR and the setting is surround. I have no issues with it. Only little issues is when I changing channel the image is there, but there is a 2 second lag for the sound.

It should not lag. But it does, why I am sure interested in finding out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 12:27 AM
Rookie

I have a problem with Surround Sound on Fibe TV also

I have a Harmon-Kardon AVR 154 Receiver and surround sound speakers. They ping fine for the speaker test so the connection to the Receiver must be okay. However sound received from the Fibe box seems to only be going to the TV speakers. I have the Fibe Box connected to the Receiver with an HDMI cable. We've tried also adding an optical cable connection but that didn't change anything. Everything was working fine with the Rogers box, only the Fibe TV box and signal has changed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 01:02 AM

Check that surround sound is set on the Fibe TV box:

Press MENU, SETTINGS, AUDIO, DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT, SURROUND SOUND.

Is the sound coming from the TV speakers or the front speakers connected to the AVR?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 01:41 AM
Rookie

When I change the sound setting to Surround Sound on the Fibe TV box, there is no sound at all. The only sound is coming from the TV speakers. None of the 5 surround sound speakers are getting any sound. Also the volume control on the receiver does not influence the volume, only the sound controller on the Fibe TV box works to influence the volume.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 09:47 AM

Based on the specs I read for the HK, it doesn't handle HDMI audio (only passes it to the TV), so you need to use the optical connection for audio on the HK AVR. The settings in the STB need to be appropriate to send those signals to the AVR and the AVR needs to be tuned to the correct input - the input for the optical cable may need to be properly "assigned" and the cable must be properly inserted at both ends.

Useful post for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 04:58 PM
Rookie

I am really impressed with all the help here. Thank you so much and I hope I will be able to help someone back (although I'm better with computers than audio-visual tech).

Yes the manual suggested connecting devices with both the HDMI and audio connections but also gave several options so it was a bit confusing. Then we asked the store where we bought our equipment a couple of years ago for help and they said that HDMI alone worked fine no matter what the manual said and we might be confusing things.

Now we have tried it both ways. I don't know how to "assign" a connection.

One of the things that is odd is that we can't get the OSD for the receiver to come up and after a couple of tries the remote locks until it is reset.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 05:12 PM

1. If you have sound on the TV going through the AVR via HDMI then the AVR is:

a) set to send the sound to the TV instead of use it in the "amp" (there should therefore be such an option in the user setup menus) or
b) the AVR doesn't handle HDMI audio. (I suspect it's the latter based on what I read) Don't ever believe anything a store rep says.

2. Assigning - read the operating manual. Connect the optical cable to an input on the AVR and tune the AVR to that input. If you get sound, then you're half way there. If you're using HDMI through the AVR and the AVR as a switch, then you'll need to assign that optical input to the same input as is used by the HDMI cable.

3. OSD - Does/did it work with HDMI before? - it doesn't on some AVRs. Again, check the manual.

4. I find it easiest to download the manual from the manufacturer and then searching the pdf for terms like "assign", OSD, AMP, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in