Myth: Bell Fibe TV is Fibre to the Home - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 02:26 PM

Bell's Fibe TV is offering FTTN (fiber to the node) as I understand it. I don't think it is FTTC (fiber to the curb)?

The Wiki nicely shows you the differences with a picture;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 02:37 PM
Veteran

But there is a NEW Fibre Optic network that is delivering the FibeTV service, so that isn't a lie. In fact most networks are a mixture of copper and fibre. We know Bell has been building that new network for some time. That it doesn't make it all the way to your house is an intentional omission, not a lie.

There are tons of marketing gimmicks used to sell products and services these days. Informed consumers will check the terms and conditions of the service they're ordering along with its limitations. If Bell doesn't deliver on something that was promised, they have a legitimate beef.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

nuke12, from what I understand, once Bell has Fiber to the Node then they start offering Fibe TV in that area.

Nice bit from the Wiki link you provided.

Quote:
FTTN - Fiber-to-the-node - fiber is terminated in a street cabinet up to several kilometers away from the customer premises, with the final connection being copper. Fiber-to-the-node is often seen as an interim step towards full FTTH and is currently used by telecoms service providers like AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, Telekom Austria and Swisscom to deliver advanced triple-play services.

Mike, the subject is Myth: Bell Fibe TV is Fibre to the Home Are you trying to to say that Bell actually is FTTH and that Bell's marketing is accurate?

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 04:00 PM

I'm with Hugh on this - Bell's marketing is extremely misleading. There are true FTTH services on the market today such as Aliant's FibreOP, Verizon in the US, etc. and Bell is trying to imply their service is equivalent when really it's nowhere near. If you have Fibe25 and have 3-4 television streams going simultaneously you're not going to have much bandwidth left for Internet. However, true FTTH services can easily have many simultaneous television streams and still provide 100+ Mb/s Internet service. Heck, even cable will do much better because their television streams have no impact on their Internet bandwidth.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 05:28 PM

Well I sure learned allot.I was told that Eastlink in ns was going to have ftth but they would'nt say when.I hope soon it sounds good.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I have deleted some posts here because its clear that some posters are posting Bell propaganda and trying to to take this thread off topic and sow confusion in users minds.

So let`s be clear on what the topic of this thread is

Myth: Bell Fibe TV is Fibre to the Home

So please lets stay on topic.

Finally, let me re-iterate:

Bell Fibe TV is NOT Fibre Optic.

Bell is installing FTTH in some projects in Quebec and to some new MDU`s in Ontario and Quebec but it represents only a small fraction of the 5 million households that will be able to subscribe to Fibe TV in coming years.

Finally from a Bell press release

Quote:
Bell Fibe(TM) Internet

Fibe Internet is enabled by advanced VDSL2 technology enhancements to
Bell's Fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) network in Toronto and Montréal.
In other words, their press release makes it very clear that Fibe TV is NOT a fibre optic network. It`s a network that uses good old telephone for up to the last two kilometres to your home (which is the distance from your home to the node)

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 06:33 PM
Veteran

The point to take into consideration here is how many of us really want Bell to run fibre to the home at a cost of ripping up my street and yard ? ... I think VDSL-2 is a brilliant technology in the way it can send 50Mbit over 2000 feet of copper. Bell went about this a smart way.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

HDTV101, please stay on topic. This topic is about Bell Marketing.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Mike, the subject is Myth: Bell Fibe TV is Fibre to the Home Are you trying to to say that Bell actually is FTTH and that Bell's marketing is accurate?
Not if they used the acronym FTTH in their advertising, but did they? Do they say fibre-to-the-home or was that your interpretation of fibre optic network? Bell has built a Fibre optic network to deliver this new service and they have the right to advertise that. I think it's a good start and will improve with time.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sorry Mike, but if you read what I wrote then you would not be asking that.

I`m checking out of this thread because it appears that people want to comment without actually reading what I wrote.

Cheers,
Hugh

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 07:40 PM

Hugh, when I ordered my Fib 16 internet online with the Bell Rep he told me that it was still copper to my house. I cannot say what the are ads are for the TV service but I am assuming they are sharing the same network. I have their Sat service and have no interest in slowing down my internet based on what I am hearing.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 11:35 PM

Location: Oakville Ontario Canada, Bell-FibeTV, VIP-2262, Toshiba 46XV540U
I just checked, the availability option said......

Good news, we expect to roll out Bell Fibe TV in your neighbourhood within the next year. To be notified as soon as it becomes available, provide your contact info and well be in touch.

Since it is October, I automatically assumed 2012. My mistake.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 07:15 AM

Most of you aren't getting it.In ads Bell is calling it fibe tv when actually almost everybody in Canada with cable tv already has fibe.I do.Just not right to the house.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Most of the Fibe TV installs are FTTN but in Quebec City are FTTH and i think they are expanding this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 12:33 PM
Rookie

All Bell really did was extend their existing Fibre cables from the existing hub to a little bit closer to your home. All of the back end is already fibre and to say this is a new system to me is completely false. The bottle neck is still there, it is just a shorter distance now.

Aliant has a new system, requiring new hardware, that is a complete over-hall of the existing network.

Simply put:
Bell built a Ferrari and stuck it on a 2 lane highway at rush-hour. Aliant gave the Ferrari it's own highway.
Closed Thread

Tags
bell , fibe tv , ftth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in