Can I use my own router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Can I use my own router?

Apologies if this has been asked before (I tried searching) but can I use my own router for wifi Internet with fibe TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 10:43 PM

Yes, you can use your own router and connect it to Bell's modem/router. Elsewhere several people describe different theories. One thing you will need to do is make sure that you are delivering Internet to your STBs as well so you can get Facebook working.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. So when you say I can connect my router to bells modem/router, you mean just bells modem (which connects to the cable out of the wall), correct? So it sounds like the router they provide is just a regular wireless router?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 02:20 PM

Why would you use your router, Bell wifi modem/router works great, Are looking for problems? LOL

I have my desktop, laptop, note book, 3 printers all wireless connected in a Network. Except my Ps3 its connected network cable. And all work well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-04, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Because I require the 5ghz band and multiple guest ssid's that my expensive router provides
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-06, 09:22 AM

Yes, but why mess up what works? Turn off the wi-fi on the Bell router/modem, turn your expensive router into an access point and you're done.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-06, 03:53 PM

The wireless on the Cellpipe kind of stinks. It seems like it's capped out at about 10Mb...even if you're on Fibe 16+

Best thing to do is plugin a router, set the router to get an IP on the WAN side of it by DHCP, and you should be good to go. Don't adjust the settings on the Cellpipe other than turning the wireless off.

That's my suggestion as it's the easiest and should be trouble free for the most part.

Panasonic TC32LX60 | Denon AVR890 | Klipsch RB-61 / RC-10 / RW-10D | Motorola VIP 1232 (Bell Fibe)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-10-08, 02:01 AM
Veteran

What I did was to just changed the IP of the cellpipe from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.200.1 this way any other routers I connect will not conflict if they have the same gateway IP as the cellpipe. The wifi on the cellpipe is crap so for sure you're going to want to use your own wifi router.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 04:32 PM
Rookie

Networking an Alcatel Lucent 7130 with a D-Link Dir-655 router

I recently installed Bell's IPTV which uses the Alcatel Lucent 7130 router. It has four ethernet ports and one cable port. The cables in my house were old and did not carry HD signals but fortunately I had double ethernet connections in two of the three tv locations. One is connected directly to the 7130 and the other to my home network on the 655. At the third location I put a small bridge and connect it to the Bell box and my HTPC. Unfortunately my 655 cannot see the HTPC so I am unable to transfer files around my home network to it. I changed the 655 to a bridge and use the 7130 as the modem to the internet and that all works fine but I need to have that HTPC on my network and have tried a powerline ethernet connection which works but is slow and unreliable, I also installed a wireless card that is even less reliable. I have about a dozen devices including computers, security cameras, blu-ray dvd players etc on the network. How do i see that HTPC from my d-Link Dir-655 and hence the rest of my network?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 05:59 PM

I'm using my Airport Extreme to create the PPPoE connection and using it as the router as opposed to the CellPipe. The Cellpipe is just the modem.

Take a look at DSLReports for more folks who have done this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 09:09 PM
Rookie

I've been doing this as well. I had it set up so my cisco makes the PPPoE link and the cellpipe was just a passthrough.

Here's a tip however: When you do this, none of the FibeTv apps (facebook, galaxy, etc...) work because those use the internet VLAN connection not the TV VLAN connection. If you want them to work you need to setup the PPPoE info on the cellpipe as well. I figured it would not let me do that but it works. I get two distinct public IP addresses this way (3 if you count the TV!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in