Fibe TV Recording Problems and Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 08:11 PM
Rookie

"Anyday around XX:XX AM/PM –default setting – will record within a 2 hour window before or after the "around" time. This option works particularly well for network primetime series that may get moved around for special events or when the networks modify their schedules. For example a program scheduled for around 8 PM will record if it starts between 6 PM and 10 PM, but not if it is rescheduled to start at 10:01 PM."

Dr Dave,
In my experience this setting does not work this way Several times recently the Good Wife has been moved without notice to start 1/2 hour later but my pvr records from 9 to 10 as the guide indicates. Would you know why?
Thanks
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 09:25 PM

I concur that the PVR will blindly follow its current guide, and does not look at what is actually being sent down the line. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

This is particularly apparent now that the NFL is in full swing. I try to record (by seried programming) episodes of "The Closer" on the Buffalo NBC channel around 2400 hours Sunday. But if the NFL runs long everything is just shifted later. It isn't reflected in the guide, and it doesn't delay the recording. So I get 40 minutes of local Buffalo news (Fire in Tonawanda!) and 20 minutes of The Closer.

Last edited by John769; 2011-11-08 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Clarify what I'm doing
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 12:18 AM

@ppowell002, the problem with the Good Wife and other programs on CBS Sunday nights is that sports programming runs overtime and CBS doesn't follow the schedule. If CBS changed the guide to say that the Good Wife started half an hour later, then the PVR would record it properly.

I've had other programs where the network would change the schedule a couple days in advance and the PVR got the new schedule and recorded the program correctly without any further input from me.

The best solution is to record CBS Sunday night programs on another channel (a Canadian channel or a timeshift channel). If that isn't possible, you can either add an hour to the end time or record the following program.

post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 08:01 PM

I believe you'll also find it on Video on Demand (Global).
post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 08:13 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the responses. I had figured it was not recording because the guide had not been changed and added an hour to the recording time.

I also just found Good Wife on Global on Demand. When I had searched before it was not there or maybe it was before Bell added Global to its On Demand line up.
post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 08:40 PM
Rookie

I just got Bell Fibe and have a question about the STB. It seems to turn itself off randomly - I'll leave it with the green light on and a few hours later the green light will be off. Or I'll start watching a DVD and, 20 minutes later, the green light will have gone off although I have not touched any buttons on the STB or its remote.

Will it still record any scheduled recordings while apparently off? My previous PVR (a TiVo) had to be on in order to record (and it was set to be an "always-on" kind of appliance - it actually took effort to turn the thing off). I would imagine the same would have to be true of the Bell PVR - but then why is it randomly turning itself off all the time. ???

Any help is appreciated.
post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 09:40 PM

After a four hours if you don't touch a button on the remote or on the box it will go to standby. It does not power off. All your recordings should still start.
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 01:32 AM
Rookie

ah, okay, that's standby mode. The rep told me that when the green light isn't on, then the system itself isn't on - so I was wondering how it could possibly record in "off" mode.

Thanks!
post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-12-13, 05:12 PM

Recordings temporarily "Missing"?

On several occasions I have pressed the "Recordings" button on my remote, only to see the message "There are no recordings available"! (I'm controlling the receiver, not the STB with the PVR in it.)

Panic ensues.

In about five seconds, the screen changes to show me some programs, and tells me I have 8 recorded programs. Five more seconds, and I have 16 recorded programs, then 24, then 32, etc, until all the programs are there.

So is this a fault, a bug or a feature?
post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 2011-12-14, 06:14 AM

^has happened to me numerous times; think its a delay while the system is updating;
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 11:37 PM

When the PVR gets full?

My Fibe PVR is gradually filling up with forgotten, or I'll-get-around-to-it recordings. All are of the "Save until space needed" type. After 11 months, I'm up to about 63% full.

So, just what happens on that fateful 100% day? Do I get a warning, or does the PVR just quietly delete the oldest recording? Just wondering...
post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 12:06 AM

@John769, if your recordings are not protected when less than 10% of disk space is remaining, your PVR will start deleting, starting with the oldest unprotected ones. To protect your recordings from being erased automatically, you can change them to "Keep until I erase".

If all your recordings are protected and your PVR storage space is full, a pop-up will warn you and your PVR will stop recording.

If you want to protect future recordings you can set up the series recording as "Keep until I erase".

I think there will be an exclamation mark displayed beside unprotected programs in the recorded programs list when available space reaches 20%
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 2012-01-24, 02:23 AM

Thanks... I'll watch for that.
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-04-15, 09:17 AM

Fibe VIP 2262 PVR Deleted My Recordings !

Good day:
Hoping someone can help me out here.
My PVR was about 75 % full when I set up some shows to tape on Sunday evening (Mad Men, Game of Thrones, VEEP etc). When I checked the PVR on Monday I find that all my previous recordings were deleted, with the exception of a March 29 episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and my 5 recordings from Sunday evening. Everything else was gone....hours and hours of TMN movies, Canada Over the Edge series etc etc. Not happy !!!
I called Bell and they could offer no answer other than keep an eye on it and they will replace the PVR if it happens again.
I had the PVR set to "keep until space needed" which I understand to mean it will delete one older show at a time if space is needed...not delete everything ! I've been using Bell PVR's for many years so certain it was not "user error". Even if it was, the only way that I know that recordings can be deleted is one by one and even then it asks to confirm the deletion.
Anyone else experience this and can offer some help ?
Thanks in advance !
KC

Samsung HLP-5663W,Sony STR-DG910,PS3, WII,Toshiba A-2 HD DVD,Bell 9241,Cerwin Vegas,PSB Alpha's(rear),Polk SWB
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 2014-04-15, 10:02 AM

That sucks. I have conditioned myself to expect the HDD to fail at some point losing all my saved recordings.

There have been some reported glitches over the last 24 hours, noticed it last night, where it would take forever to erase a program or start a new playback. Scheduled recordings were fine. This happens from time to time, and my first thought was HDD failure, but instead it is a network problem. Cannot see how this would cause your situation, but you never know, and front line techs would not have a clue.

The need for connection to the head unit to erase or playback leads me to believe "they" know what you watch, record, and erase. Must be great for viewing collecting statistics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in