Is Fibe 25 internet less reliable than Fibe TV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-06-18, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Eug
Veteran

Is Fibe 25 internet less reliable than Fibe TV?

I'm in an area where Fibe 25 is available, but Fibe TV isn't yet. (It's supposed to be coming in a few months.)

I tried Fibe 25/7 and when it's working it's great, but it went down a LOT. A couple of times a week it'd be working fine at 25 Mbps and then suddenly it'd lose sync for half an hour, and then spontaneously come back on again. I'm under the impression that it's pretty much the same IP service that supplies Fibe 25 and Fibe TV. Is that true or is Fibe TV given some sort of service priority?

If my TV went down (even for just brief periods) a couple of times a week, I'd get rid of it almost immediately.

As it stands, my Fibe 25 experiment (Dell 4 month Bell promotion deal) was a dismal failure, and I'm switching to regular low speed DSL with a 3rd party provider - but which is still Bell wholesale service. Although the speeds are much slower, when I was on regular DSL the reliability was better (albeit not perfect). I'm on Rogers HD for TV. Yeah, the cable tech seems ancient, but more important for me is that it's stable. Never goes down. At one point I had some issues with bad signal strength for certain channels, but that was corrected with an RG11 install from the utility pole.

I'd really appreciate the more advanced interface described for Fibe TV, but I'd be quite apprehensive being one of the guinea pigs in my neighbourhood. How have the Fibe TV rollouts been? Does the service get more reliable after a period of time, or was your area reliable right from the beginning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 01:07 PM
Rookie

I've had very few outage issues with the Fibe TV Internet service (which I believe they technically call "Fibe 16+"). I don't know whether they give it priority or not or if I've just been lucky.

It is worth noting, however, that the TV service operates on a different virtual network from the standard Internet service. A complete DSL outage will affect both, however it is possible for issues on Bell's end to affect only the Internet service while still providing TV service on the other virtual interface.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Eug
Veteran

I had revamped the wiring which significantly improved the stability as apparently even a CAT6 install wasn't good enough when there were multiple patch points between the modem and the phone demarc. Redoing the hardwired setup made for much fewer sync losses, but I still got occasional brief outages where the net was inaccessible even though the Bell Fibe modem was still sync'd. In any case it does explain why Bell is so vigilant about wiring for Fibe installations.

However, that point about Fibe TV being on a different virtual network is a good one. It's likely that the TV network gets much higher priority. Obviously if the sync is lost that's a big problem, but if congestion ever rears its ugly head it would likely hit the internet service first. Plus Bell controls the distribution of their Fibe TV, whereas general net access is much more variable, and there is also the issue of inconsistent DNS server response times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in