HDMI Problems (split from FibeTV New Modem) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, sure, my state of the art 3D TV is the problem. Give me a break (directed at Bell, not you). It's Panasonic's flagship model, the VT25, and the VT30 hasn't even came out yet so as of right now it's still the lastest technology. I'm able to get full HD 3D (which means 2 X 1080p) so I'm pretty sure it can handle the STB's 1080i.

Besides, if the STB is able to send that message (HCDP error) to my TV through HDMI, then obviously the HDMI is fine.

So, if anything is out of date or not compatible, it's Bell's STB. And, it's Bell who refuses to "support" HDMI.

This is really frustrating. I'm giving Bell chance after chance mostly because frankly Vidoétron isn't any better but, man, I wonder how much I can take before I crack. They screwed up my installation, billing on numourous occasions, still not resolved, and now I'm realizing all those limitations from their "state-of-the-art" IPTV service.

It should be a given that you support HDMI for a TV service that's tagged as the best HD offering in Canada...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 10:01 AM

I totally agree with you RX. I posted in another thread my disbelief that new state of the art HD TV service without HDMI and 5.1 sound support seems like going backwards.
Its not technical debate its a business point- how can they justify, as others have said $150,for the service and not support these 2 things?

Last edited by 57; 2011-04-28 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 10:02 AM

@rxheaven, HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection and is a required part of HDMI. Normally this verification is done when the devices first connect, but can sometimes happen during the transmission of a broadcast.

It sounds like the STB initiated the DHCP protocol and your TV didn't respond appropriately. I think that if you powered the TV off and on, the HDMI handshake would take place properly and everything would work fine again. You may also be able to force the HDMI handshake by changing the input on your TV and then changing it back.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 11:09 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although HDMI should work with most new equipment, there are many reasons why it doesn't work sometimes - firmware, poor connections, incorrect settings, AVR issues, power up sequence, etc. See the HDMI FAQ in post 5 of this thread and linked again below. Throughout my optimization travels, I have encountered many instances where the system did not work when I got there, however, I was always able to get HDMI working by the time I left - the possible problems are many and are summarized in the link below.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 11:45 AM

Not sure why people keep saying that Bell Fibe TV doesn't support HDMI... when I first had it installed last year, the tech said to use HDMI (if I had an HDMI cable).
Also, Bell has a support page which specifically discusses HDMI connections - see the link

http://support.bell.ca/en-nl/fibe_tv..._watch_fibe_tv
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 11:49 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe that the point is that many (but not all) service providers do not provide good assistance when HDMI problems arise, since HDMI problems arise so frequently, as mentioned in the FAQ. Component Video always works, so the CSR will often ask a person having difficulty with HDMI to switch to CV. If the person insists on trying to make HDMI work, any of the following may happen:

- they get connected to a second level technician who may help them with the situation
- they may have a truck roll to assist (perhaps with a cost associated)
- they may be told that HDMI is not officially supported (in order to make them go away and make HDMI work on their own)
- etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 11:55 AM

@57 - fair comment. Using component cables are just as good as the video from an HDMI cable. (depending on quality of cable).

There must be some other people out there that use Fibe TV with a Panasonic VT25. I wonder if they are having the same issue ?
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshine View Post
Not sure why people keep saying that Bell Fibe TV doesn't support HDMI... when I first had it installed last year, the tech said to use HDMI (if I had an HDMI cable).
I had Bell Entertainment Service installed almost two years ago and had the opposite experience. The two techs that came over didn't outright say I couldn't use HDMI, but strongly recommended that I go with component and analog or optical audio, as they've "had problems" with HDMI connections.

From what I've been able to tell and some of the techs I've spoken to recently, I think the issue was with the older silver STBs (VIP1216/1200), as I've had nothing but HDMI audio problems on both of mine since the very beginning. When I called support in the early days, they told me to not use an HDMI connection if I was having audio problems -- that the "recommended" connection is component video with analog or optical audio. I finally got a third-level tech support guy to come right out and tell me that they could swap the box out if I really wanted them to, but chances were pretty good that I would have the exact same problems with the replacement unit. As a result I just gave up and went to using an optical connection for my audio in the living room and a standard analog RCA cable for the bedroom TV (which fortunately had a separate analog audio input on HDMI 1 in order to support DVI connections).

However, the newer black 1200 that I had installed in my daughter's room last fall has worked flawlessly under the exact same conditions (I moved it around to my other TVs for testing). When the tech installed the black VIP1200 he mentioned that it was a newer and "more stable" model.

I finally called Bell and had them replace both of the silver units (the 1216 also had a nasty habit of rebooting and wiping out all of my saved recordings every few weeks), and they automatically swapped them out for a black VIP1232 and black VIP1200. Both of the new units work flawlessly even with full 5.1 Dolby Digital audio over HDMI.

Bottom line is that I'd recommend that anybody who is having problems with the older silver STBs call Bell and get a replacement. More than one technician has told me that Bell isn't even stocking the older models anymore, so you should end up with a newer 1232 PVR or black 1200 non-PVR STB.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-04-29, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I've put a different HDMI cable, the one I had been using with my BD player which I know is good. I'll see if it makes a difference. So far, so good but it's hard to know since it's such a sporadic problem.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 08:13 AM
Rookie

HDMI on Fibe

I am currently replacing my older PVR with a newer one due to a few sound problems. While talking to level 2 support the past few days, I was told that HDMI was a problem and that it was a problem with other company's receivers had similar problems. I have been using HDMI since signing up with Bell Entertainment services in late 2009. Mostly problem free, but not flawless. This was the first time someone suggested HDMI could be the problem.
Tech arrived tonight and was saying the same things. I questioned the problem, as my audio is using an optical cable to my A/V receiver, and not the HDMI to the TV. His response was that they had seen issues even with this setup. Tech seems like a knowledgeable guy and straight shooter. He then said that replacing with a newer PVR would still be an issue, as the PVR with full problem-free HDMI support wouldn't be available until August. Looks like I can't wait, so I'll miss out on that.
I believe he is going to install using component for video. I may put the HDMI cable back after he leaves
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 10:39 AM
Veteran

^^^^
FWIW, I use HDMI with 2 TVs and one computer monitor. One TV has HDMI to the TV and digital audio separately to my A/V receiver, one HDMI, including audio to the TV and also HDMI to a computer monitor with separate analog audio to a receiver. All work fine. I have to wonder if some companies are simply using HDMI as an excuse to avoid fixing their problem.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

All I can say is, on my end, it's been working fine since I used a different (cheaper, ironically) HDMI cable.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-07-31, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Audio error message

Well PVR was upgraded to a larger hard drive, but I think it's the same general box. New improved black instead of silver. It was hooked up at tech's recommendation with Component rather than HDMI. I've left it for now. I discovered after he left that he set the sound to Stereo rather than Surround.
I switched it back and surround seems to be fine. However, I now get a frequent box popping up on the screen with a message
"An incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings". My audio is connected directly to my AV receiver from the PVR with an optical cable. Running a 5-6 yr. old AVR by JVC. TV is a Sharp Aquos. I am a little confused by this message. Not sure what the "output" device is. The PVR, the AVR or the TV? So not really sure where to start looking. As I say, the 5.1 surround sound seems to be operating okay, but these messages are really annoying. They will appear for about 5 seconds, when changing channels, after rewinding a recording and restarting play, etc. I had received this message in the past, but not nearly as frequently. Any suggestions on where you think this is coming from would be appreciated
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-07-31, 11:06 PM

@Padraigl, I did a quick Google search on the error and it sounds like the message is generated by the Sharp Aquos. The work around was to turn the volume down to zero on the TV (not mute).

What I don't understand in your situation is what the audio connection is to your TV.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2011-08-01, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the hint. Will give this a try. I didn't have any separate audio connection to the TV previously, but was HDMI connected. Audio went directly from PVR to AVR and then out to speakers. But I am now wondering if the tech who swapped my PVR and switched it from HDMI to component also connected audio to the TV. I tried to keep an eye on what he was doing, but had to spend some time on hold with Bell support sorting out an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in