Review claims Fibe TV available in 500,000 households - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review claims Fibe TV available in 500,000 households

MarketNews has published a review of Fibe TV. The website cited a quick menu system, affordable packages and picture quality as Fibe TV advantages while limited availability and the inability to record two HD shows while watch a third were listed as negatives.

What shocked me in the review is that Bell is now saying its Fibe TV service is accessible to 500,000 households in Toronto and Montreal. This number seems virtually impossible to believe since most Torontonians complain its not available in their neighbourhood.

I live in Central Etobicoke which is relatively affluent and the Bell Fibe TV service is not scheduled to arrive until sometime in 2012.

I`d love to know where these 500,000 households are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 03:34 PM
Rookie

So would one of my neighbors. He was called by Bell to tell him of Fibe TV's availability and he agreed immediately to have the service installed. Problem is, there is no Fibre within 7.5kms of his location and not even any kind of DSL for Internet.

The Technician was just as frustrated when he arrived, no installation, no pay.

I went to The Source, last weekend and when I put in his Postal Code it clearly shows Fibe TV is available, making me think it is a Database error that is making the number that inflated.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I`d love to know where these 500,000 households are.
Here's a Google map showing where some of the households in Toronto are. I haven't done a map of the Montreal locations.

Here's a Globe and Mail story from the launch in September:

The service is currently only available to 500,000 homes in both Toronto and Montreal, Mr. Crull said in an interview, adding that the goal is to reach one million homes by mid-2011.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 04:20 PM

Well i dont know a lot ppl in montreal with fibe and the ones that i know i "push" them to take the service the others that i m aware of it is some users of this forum so i have to say BS by Mr. Crull
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 04:28 PM

Almadacr, I think you're misunderstanding the quote. It doesn't have anything to do with how many people have subscribed to Fibe TV. It was about how many homes could get it in Toronto and Montreal back in September.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-06, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I doubt there is more than 2,000,000 households in Toronto and Montreal (remember I`m talking Toronto and Montreal, not GTA and GMA) so that would be like one out of every four homes.

I simply don`t believe it

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 08:03 PM
Rookie

It's GTA, Montreal and areas surrounding Montreal. The number is the potential number of customers, not the current amount.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

DoubleC, we got that. If you read post #1, its "accessible to 500,000 homes" and its Toronto and Montreal. Accessible is what, in the cable business, they would call "homes passed." Regardless, judging from Dr. Dave's map, Bell is nowhere near 500,000.

My guess is that their Fibe Internet Service may be available in 500K homes but TV, no way.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Toronto and gta =5.5 million people
Montreal = 1.6 million people

I didnt include the people surrounding montreal. Lets forget about them anyway and round DOWN the above total to 7 million.

Do you still think its not possible that Bells network footprint is large enough to serve only 500k out of 7 million people?

The distribution is the hardest part. The core network easier. If you can get fibe the hard part is done. Fibetv is very doable at that point.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

DoubleC, I'm not going to argue with you since you don't seem to get what I am saying. Number of people is irrelevant when its households that counts.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Regardless, judging from Dr. Dave's map, Bell is nowhere near 500,000.

My guess is that their Fibe Internet Service may be available in 500K homes but TV, no way.
About half of the COs in Toronto have access to Fibe TV, although not all are fully complete. I looked at a population density map at Stats Can and the densest areas correspond to the initial rollout of Fibe TV. I would expect the household density would be even higher downtown with a high proportion of 1 and 2 person households.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 500,000 homes with Fibe TV access just in Toronto - not counting those in Montreal.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-11, 02:28 PM
Rookie

When you think "home" don't just think houses. Bell targetted high density areas with plenty of apartment buildings. Keeping that in mind the 500k mentioned is easily reached.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 02:46 PM

DoubleC's got it. Apartments and Condos in the downtown core of Toronto would be what really helps their numbers. My building is a mid-rise with about 100 units, so that's 100 'homes' just in one building... and it's only 11 stories. There is a building a stones throw from mine that much be 30 floors, and probably has more per floor... so there's another 500. There's another building just behind mine that would have about another 300.

So we're close to one of those 1000's right there and that's just in my building and two neighbouring buildings.... All would be about the same distance from a fibre node, so I'm sure they all are fibe-capable.

There's another 10 or so very tall (20-30 floors) buildings closeby. And don't forget about all the waterfront condos in the downtown area.

Keep in mind that in Toronto there are many more apartments with singles than you may find in the suburbs where there are families living 4-5 to a house. I would say that the ratio of units (homes) to people is much close to 1:1 then out in the burbs.

It doesn't surprise me that many areas in Etobicoke weren't launch sites, but 2012 isn't too far off at least!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 03:58 PM
Rookie

I also agree with DoubleC's thinking, it will help them achieve a "possible penetration" number, which in practice will end up being around 15 - 20% of that figure as real Customers.

The Bell TV Stacked Systems in Apartment Buildings are configured on a penetration of 10% only.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 08:22 PM

I'm surprised by that 10% penetration. MTS in Winnipeg has a market share of 34% using the same technologies as Fibe TV and Condo TV competing against Shaw Cable and the 2 satellite companies.

Tags
fibe tv , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in