Bell Fibe TV problems and Complaints - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 11:15 AM

@secotton - PVR goes straight to the Pioneer plasma using HDMI - it's a display only - no speakers. Optical audio goes to the receiver for the test.
Since this is a picture and audio issue, it now rules out my receiver.

I'll go back to using HDMI for both audio & picture since the above test did not help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

My setup is pretty straight forward:

On the main floor I've got coax from the modem to the pvr and the pvr direct to the tv using HDMI for video and audio. There is no other equipment hooked up.

Upstairs I have 2 receivers both using component cables for video and audio out R & L for audio. No other equipment attached.

I too think this is a Bell issue as we all appear to be experiencing the same problems. How do we let Bell know so they will check the incoming feed from the C.O. instead of all of us waiting for service calls which probably won't help?
post #33 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 11:52 AM

Sorry Barb G... we are now part of the process. We have to wait and see what the techs do/say when they show up at our homes. I'll update this thread tomorrow with my trials and tribulations after the tech has decided what the next course of action (or inaction) will be!

post #34 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 11:59 AM

- Bell supplied Ethernet cable from Cellpipe => IPTV STB
- HDMI from IPTV STB => TV (LG)
- TOSLINK: IPTV STB => A/V Receiver (Yamaha)

I do experience the occasional audio dropout, but they are very short. Probably less than 1 sec. They're also few and far between. As for pixelation, I noticed it a few times but it's extremely rare.

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
post #35 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 12:13 PM

@ Mtlscream Yesterday at the Al`s game during the flash interviews was funny to see them all out of sync in all the 3 receivers and was also in SD
post #36 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 12:21 PM

Just like @joepro
Here's my setup....

- Bell supplied Ethernet cable from Cellpipe / Router / Modem => IPTV VIP1232
- HDMI from IPTV VIP1232 => A/V receiver (Sony)
- HDMI from A/V Receiver => HDTV (Panasonic Plasma)

Like i said before... except on RDS-HD (who seems to be out of sync for 1 sec)... the rest seems pretty good. Like Joepro, i do notice occasinal audio dropout too (less than 1 sec once in a while). Notice them more on recordings... than live tv...

Panasonic TH-5P50VT25| Panasonic DMP-BDT100| Sony STR-DG910 | Apple TV | Xbox 360 | Bell FibeTV - VIP1232
post #37 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 01:56 PM

I'd like to follow up on the summary popup screen that some people have reported. From Barb's description in post 6, this sounds like the same screen that is displayed when you press the INFO button on the remote. Can someone that is having the problem confirm this?

I'm also the moderator for the MTS and Telus TV forums (which also use Mediaroom) and haven't heard of this problem before.

The two things that I can think of are an external signal that the STB interprets as someone pressing the INFO button, or some sort of break in the signal coming over the line that causes the STB to display the INFO screen.

Here are a few more questions that may help isolate the problem.
  • Have you had the problem since you got Fibe TV or has it just started recently?
  • Do any other menus ever pop up when you're not using the remote control?
  • Does the problem seem worse when you're having signal problems?
post #38 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Dr. Dave, the summary menus are the same as the info menus. I had this happen right from the day after installation on Aug.3/10. I can be standing in another room no where near the remote and a menu will pop up. There are only 3 different menus that I've seen:

1) when watching an episode of a series recording is the same as if I pressed 'info' during the recording

2) when watching live tv is the same as pressing 'info' during live tv

3) when watching a one time recording ie not a weekly series, is the same as pressing 'info'

However since I removed the CF bulb next to the TV the popup only happened once within a minute of taking out the bulb. I'm now probably jinxing everything by saying I haven't had a pop up since 5:20 pm on Sunday. Prior to that it was happening multiple times each day.

It's now 6:45 pm and as feared the popup menu just appeared! So I guess the CF bulb wasn't the problem. I will try covering the front sensor on the pvr.

Last edited by Barb G; 2010-10-12 at 06:47 PM. Reason: update
post #39 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Dr. Dave, in my case it's:

1. It has happened since Fibe TV was installed on Aug. 7, 2010.
2. It's the same menu every time.
3. I'm not having the signal problems others are discussing. Maybe because I'm not in the Beach, but rather Etobicoke.

My PVR was replaced yesterday, and I haven't had the menu pop up yet, but that could be because I only watched 1 recorded show. I'll keep an eye on it.

However, maybe it's a warning that the PVR is about to go belly up. 1 of the guys at support thought there was an internal power problem with my PVR and that it was the cause of it's untimely demise. You theorized that a break in the signal could be causing the menu. Maybe we're onto something...
post #40 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 02:37 PM

My thought is that it could be when the PVR's Hard Drive goes from one platter to another, or there is a hard disk delay, the PVR thinks it's the end of the recording. I know the same menu pops up when actually at the end of a recording, so it could be that it's a bug that we're seeing.

I don't experience it all the time, but it has happened about 5 times out of about every 25 recordings.

The audio dropouts are the most annoying part that I'd like to see resolved - I can live with the other few inconsistencies it has.
post #41 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 04:49 PM

The problem seems to be specific to Bell. I have MTS TV with the Motorola VIP1216 (which is the same as the VIP1232 with a smaller hard drive). I've watched over a thousand hours of recordings and have never seen the INFO menu pop up in the middle of a recording.
post #42 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 05:36 PM

The tech was at my house for 2 hours this afternoon. He ran a packet test among all the STBs and the PVR - 75,000 packets and not one dropped (twice). He checked the copper outside and pronounced it good.
We watched the plasma for a few minutes and then the pixelation happened again (and freezing). He changed the modem next and then went to the end node (where the fiber terminates) - which is just one short block from my house :-)
I just got a call from a Level 2 at Adelaide and they are watching me this evening - I'm now starting to feel paranoid !
post #43 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

The pixellization and freezing is so bad I can't even watch. A Bell tech is coming tomorrow morning (3rd service call since installation) to check the outside cables/equipment. I'm not too optimistic that he will find anything new.

Sadly and you're all probably going to boo me but if Bell can't resolve these problems I may just switch back to Rogers - at least I could watch programs all the way through without interference!
post #44 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 06:33 PM

@Barb G - Just got a phone call from the tech that was at my home. He got a call-out for another client in the Beach with the same problem as mine as he left. But it seems they think they might have found the problem - and yes, it's in the C.O. They are going to send a tech to take a look. He said they should hopefully have it fixed by tomorrow afternoon (as I write this my display just stuttered one more time).

Could there be a light at the end of this tunnel ?
post #45 of 697 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I really hope they've found the problem because I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing. By the way, I complained to Bell about my service being so bad in September that gthey credited my account for the entire monthly charge.

Thanks for the update and let's keep our fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in