Bell Fibe TV problems and Complaints - Page 29 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #421 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 07:01 PM

Bri in Mtl, Mediaroom is set to stop streaming a channel if there's no activity from a box's remote for a set number of hours. I timed it with MTS at 6 hours, but someone posted that Bell Fibe stops at 4 hours. If there's any activity from the remote, the standby timer will be reset to start over.

There isn't anything you can change on the Set-top-box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-19, 08:32 AM

Turn the TV off if you plan to be away for a long time (many hours, not 15 or 20 minutes). Save some energy.
post #423 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-19, 04:45 PM

Also, there's an auto turn off at 1 or 2 am.

post #424 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-01, 03:00 PM
Rookie

Bell Fibe Installation - Service Recap

Bell Fibe Installation Recap

Service installed 1 May. I had a PVR and Receiver installed. The Bell Tech was courteous and the in-house wiring was neat, with a few minor requests for location of elements accommodated. The Connection Hub was installed in the basement were I requested and the PVR and Receiver placed were Rogers 8642 and 8300 had serviced our two TV’s. I am within 1km of the Fibre node in our area, and I estimate this would be wire distance not walking distance.
I have a router on the 2rd floor of our house and it is connected to the Connection Hub via PowerLink adapters. Wireless and wired connections are with my Linksys router.
From the first night we had pixelating and signal loss problems. It took until 24 June to stabilize the service. The following is a summary of my interaction with Bell Fibe TV support.
99 Visits from Techs and Cable department. Recap of their visits follow:
• Wednesday 8 May – Tech replaced the Connection Hub and grounded the Line at the NID. (??).
• Friday 10 May – Tech checked wiring in house, ran line test and confirmed line had “Good Head Room”. Checked the Fibre Node in our area and advised we were on a connection suitable for Internet, not Fibe TV. He move our line to one suitable for Fibe TV, and advised someone in the Back Office needed to reconfigure our service to reflect the new connection. We lost all Fibe TV Service that night and it was not restored till Monday.
• Saturday 11 May – Tech checked installation, asked my wife for recap of problems, called the previous tech for advice. Unable to find anything wrong and could not affect restoration of service.
• Sunday 12 May - Lineman (?) arrived and advised he had checked our line and confirmed there were no shorts in the line.
• Monday 12 May – Tech and Lineman (from Sunday) arrived. Tech verified cabling in house, and between Lineman and Tech they were able to determine the Line change on Friday had not been configure properly at the Back Office. When they got the back-end configuration corrected, service was restored.
• Monday 20 May – Tech visit, but my notes are weak on this visit.
• Friday 31 May - Discussion with Tech via phone. His tools/monitors indicated there was some line noise inside the house. After lengthy discussion and me running around house checking various connections he had me unplug the telephone cable connected to an HP All-in-one fax. Line noise (?) dropped and he concluded that problem source was resolved.
• Monday 3 June – Received call from Customer Care. Had lengthy discussion on how he/they were assuming responsibility for my Fibe TV issues. This was the beginning of the end of having to deal with L1 Fibe TV support. Good news.
• Thursday 6 June – Received call that their monitoring concluded some issues at the Fibre-Copper node and they “Cleaned the Fibre”.
• Friday 7 June - While on phone with Customer Care the Connection Hub was configured to service only TV’s and pass-through to my own Router/Gateway which was configured to login to Fibe Internet service. .
• Sunday 9 June – Tech replaced PVR (it was refurbished) but problem not resolved. Replaced with original PVR. Replaced Connection Hub and TV Service restored
• Sunday 16 June – On phone with Customer care we had to restore Connection Hub to TV service and modem for Linksys router.

Service has stabilized since 16th June with only minor pixilating. Something experienced with Rogers.

Summary:
• Bell Fibe TV support infrastructure is challenged with more complex situations. An element of that is the Connection Hub which from my experience is a weak product.
• Fibe TV requires a connection that has bandwidth and much lower transmission error rates than Internet service. I’ve had NO noticeable Internet issues throughout this timeframe.
• Fibe TV IPG is far superior to Rogers. I would probably still be with Rogers if they had not delivered such a poor update to the IPG. I include channel changing, advance, rewind, and other functions used when watching recorded programs when I say IPG.
• Picture quality is a wash between Rogers and Bell Fibe TV. This is the untrained eye and not having the two pictures side by side to compare.
• Bell’s TV lineup is slightly inferior to Rogers. I had Rogers VIP and Bell’s Better. One big plus for Rogers is the SD weather channel provided Ottawa local weather every 10 minutes. Bell’s does not. Bells’ IPTV weather app is slow and the information inadequate as you don’t get the weather map that you got with Rogers.
• Bell did right billing wise for my pain and suffering.
• I was a royal pain in Bell’s side. I took it as a personal challenge to make them fix the service. All folks I dealt with on the phone were courteous, even when at times my frustration got the better of me.

On balance I’m happy with the switch. Rogers has got to fix their HD Box software (IPG).

Golferwayne
Ottawa
post #425 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 03:27 PM

NO phone line since yesterday, no internet and of course no fibe tv either;

I wonder what happened since i have no dial tone at all, and when i call from cell i have a busy tone. Still waiting for a tech to come, lets see....

EDIT: no access to PVR, horrible...;
post #426 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Just curious , can you access PVR recordings on fibe tv PVR when the Internet is down.
post #427 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 04:05 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
No, because you need authentication for each recording you watch on IPTV.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #428 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-04, 04:31 PM

OK, all good now, the tech didnt even need to come home, he called and said that there was a loose wire outside; funny thing is that this is the 2nd time in less then 4 months;

bundles are good but when nothing works, darn it.
post #429 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-13, 06:30 PM

So it would appear that Bell reset my custom guide to show all channels again... it also looks like they shuffled some channels in the lineup.

Anyone else?
post #430 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-13, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Question

@ikidunot

Which channels did they shuffle around?

My custome guide wasn't touched?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #431 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 07:07 AM

Nothing happened to mine. Did you happen to go to a channel outside your custom guide? Did you use favorites? If so check if the list is still selected.
post #432 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-08-14, 04:28 PM

I customize the main guide by unchecking all unwanted channels. They seem to have added more of those on demand channels that you can't uncheck...I eliminate all SD channels in the guide. My box must have reset itself somehow... thanks for the responses!
post #433 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 05:53 AM

Stuttering

Lately I've been noticing some jerkiness or stuttering during playback of my recordings.
Anyone else?
post #434 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 06:07 AM

Try rebooting your boxes starting with the pvr.
post #435 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Hey Guys. I created 4 favorites lists yesterday. Today, i can edit the lists but there is no more option to 'add lists'. is 4 lists the maximum?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in