Bell Fibe TV problems and Complaints - Page 28 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #406 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-04-17, 09:09 AM

Cipher: Is it possible your are looking at an unsubscribed channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-04-20, 02:35 AM

Location: Oakville, Bell Fibe, Panny 65VT50, Denon X3200W, Oppo BDP-103, KEF Q100 5.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
cipher, if it only happens on some channels, then it's probably a problem at Bell. Do you have more than 1 STB you can test?

You can try restarting everything. Unplug the power for your modem, PVR and STBs. Restart each one in the following order: modem, PVR, STBs, allowing each one to fully start before going to the next.
I was going to do this tonight, but when I turned on the box the preview channels were working again! Bell probably fixed the issue at their end or the box rebooted and the issue went away.
post #408 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 12:00 PM
Rookie

Fibe TV (FTTN) service problems and question

I had Bell Fibe (FTTN) installed 1 May and have experienced serious problems., culminating with a complete loss of service since Friday at 9:30PM. Problems initially were pixilating and sound breakup, which became progressively worse.

We have had 3 visits by techs, and one by a lineman. It appears the current root issue is the copper connecting my home to the Fibre Node in the neighbourhood. Line crew is supposed to be working the issue today. They have ruled out Connection Hub to PVR and Receiver problems as they confirmed signal transmission problems to the Hub.

Inside techs have replaced the Connection Hub, changed the connection to the Fibre node and done 3 line speed tests and indicate it appears "acceptable", but not good. One tech left us a Record of work completed with a note “All test ok @ 37743/8124kbs”. They have talked about download speeds being potential problem and our numbers and preferred mentioned
My wife and I are rapidly approaching the end or our rope and contemplating terminating all Bell Fibe services. Before doing so I’d like to have some objective numbers to base the decision on.
What I’m looking for is line speed numbers, for a Fibe TV FTTN install, that will ensure reliable quality service. With that, if the line tests do not exceed that number I can cancel the service confident Bell is unable to provide Fibe TV service to our house and no amount of tech visits and calls to Fibe TV tech support is going to improve the situation.
Any insight that can be provided on what line speeds are required would be appreciated.
BTW: Internet speed tests with Speedtest.net consistently provide 15Mbps results. I understand that TV signals and Internet traffic have different “performance” profiles

Golferwayne

post #409 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 04:47 PM

GolferWayne, it seem the issue isn't the line speed, but probably an intermittent line problem. You have 37 Mbps. Watching 3 HD and 1 SD channels would use 22 Mbps, leaving 15 Mbps for Internet. Just for a frame of reference, watching one individual HD channel only uses 6.5 Mbps and TV also gets priority over Internet usage. If you had a had a faster line, you would be eligible for 25 Mbps Internet, which is why Bell is telling you that your line speed is "acceptable", but could be better.

If the problem happens when you are watching 1 channel and not doing anything on the Internet, then it's definitely not a speed issue.
post #410 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-05-13, 06:09 PM

Golferwayne:
Did the problems include the Bell land line? I recently had a much less significant outage that included the phone service, indicating to Bell that the problem was with the copper line from my house to the pole.
post #411 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 05:24 PM
Rookie

John769:
The problem was only with FibeTV.

Had a visit from a cable and inside tech on Monday 13 May. After checking all inside connections again and finding no problems I mentioned the total outage followed the switch to a new port on the Fibe-Copper node in our area. The cable tech got on the phone and got the configuration of the node changed to reflect my line on the new port. This finally restored our service.

We were able to watch problem free TV for two nights, then got more pixellated and sound outages Thursday night. I went back to my log of problems, and since the 1 May have had pixellating on 7 of 14 days of service. Five of the days pixellating occurred between 10:30 and 11:00. Another love in with Bell FibeTV tech support lies ahead.

Dave: I'm now satisfied the issue is not bandwidth, but having read through many posts going back to 2010 I'm leaning to a CO problem. With every previous pixellated problem the techs have been able to confirm the Connectin Hub received (?) pixellated data streams.

When / If this gets fixed I'll update to assist others.

PS: I'm in Ottawa, Champlain Park area. A relatively new FibeTV coverage area.
post #412 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-06-12, 08:10 PM

Just got fibe tv two days ago and overall the service has been great but On demand programming is useless. It freezes once a min for a few seconds. Anyone else have an issue?
post #413 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 06:12 AM

On Demand fine here in Whitby. Perhaps adding your location to your profile would help others in your area respond.
post #414 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 09:00 PM

West end Toronto. There was an auto message about serves being worked in in my area when I called.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #415 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 08:21 AM

Outage in Whitby

Last night, June 24th I lost signal just into the second period of the hockey game for 2 minutes and then once again later about 4:20 a.m. Did anyone else experience this in Whitby?
post #416 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 03:43 PM

My internet went down effectively taking everything offline, tech came the next day and repaired the issue (circuit was grounded), my complaint is not about that as stuff happens but...

Anybody know why do you lose the ability to watch your recorded shows? I asked the tech and he didn't even know that would happed
post #417 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 04:47 PM

dunlop, Mediaroom does a key exchange for each program with a server at Bell's head end before it plays the show. It's part of the digital rights management, so even if you hacked the encryption on the hard drive, you still wouldn't be able to play the program.
post #418 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 05:38 PM

Makes sense, thanks for the info

With netflix and video on demand I have not purchased a DVD or BluRay in forever..the kids were quite traumatized ; )
post #419 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 12:00 PM

There any way to turn that, I'll call it a screen-saver, off?
I like to leave the TV on for long periods and to keep coming into the room and seeing that PRESS SELECT TO RETURN TO BELL FIBE is a pain in the ...
post #420 of 707 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 12:30 PM

Standby Screensaver

There's no setting I can find to turn off or delay the screen saver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in