Bell Fibe TV problems and Complaints - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 707 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 03:51 AM

Eug,

I think 2 different DSL services on a single number is mostly a problem from an "administrative/billing" point of view. Technically, the tech that comes over switches you from ADSL to VDSL over at the CO, so it works anyway even if the cancellation hasn't been done yet with the previous DSL provider.

I might be completely wrong though, but that's a bit how I understood things when I had my issues and spoke with the techs that came over.

The initial tech that came over had done all the necessary changes at the CO, he could have continued his installation once he was inside my place and I think it would have worked out. But I made the mistake of calling their "concierge" to try and see if there was a way I could contact the tech before he came over, and that's when they "noticed" I already had an active DSL service on the number and cancelled the order. The tech hadn't even received the cancellation and only knew of it when I told him about it.

Your dry loop scenario is an interesting one. I think it could have worked out nicely, since Fibe Internet and Fibe TV are just 2 different PPPOE logins using the same link.

Oh well, I'll try and keep it in mind for next time, if there ever is a next time.

Last edited by hugh; 2011-01-18 at 05:54 PM. Reason: removed massive quote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-04, 01:47 PM
Rookie

Problems not resolved - possible HDMI patch coming?

Sorry for the lack of updates on my problems. Where we netted out is that Bell is currently not able to provide a permanent fix for me. We tried every possible cable connection, but nothing seems to matter and the audio dropouts continue.

I had a technician come to my house, check the connections and replace the PVR, but this didn't help. One of the advanced techs I talked to on the phone said they were aware of an HDMI compatibility issue that could be causing the problem. Since the problem I have happens with optical audio also, I don't think this will help me. Apparently a patch is forthcoming in the next month which should help - perhaps it will help me too.

After all the troubleshooting, the only option we had available was to just turn off the "surround sound" option for the audio settings. Obviously, this is not ideal since many of the shows I watch have 5.1 available, but I can't take advantage. I called the billing department and managed to get a one-time $30 credit for my troubles. Hardly the fix I was looking for, but it made me feel better. Maybe if enough of us do the same, they'll try harder to fix the problems.

In addition to all of this, my internet speed has now been capped at 6Mbps ALL the time now, not just when I'm watching tv. I was promised that I would have access to the whole 25Mb pipe with a 6Mb "minimum" speed if I was watching multiple HD channels. This, along with the audio problems have me considering whether I should keep the service at all.

@BarbG - My screen doesn't freeze at all thankfully. I just get very minor pixelation here and there (I think this is "normal" as I used to get it on Rogers too), and the persistent audio drops.
post #138 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-04, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

@454Paul: I also had to take the surround sound off my audio settings to stop the audio drop outs. I did this about 6 weeks ago and haven't had any problems since just the occasional freezing.

post #139 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 08:10 AM

@BarbG - The one problem that remains after Bell fixed the issues at the Kingston Rd & Main St CO seems to be audio dropouts (or burps) when using HDMI.
Hopefully, they will stumble across a solution at some point since I'm not going back to stereo. In the meantime, I must live with my AV receiver burping!
(everything else about Fibe TV is soooo much better than Rogers!)
post #140 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 07:20 PM

@pshine - agreed. Audio 'burps' still exist, but everything else seems way better than Rogers, and I think it'll only get better in time. This year should be good for us on FibeTV.

I'm attempting to upgrade the HDD from the PVR now, so I've got about 5 hours to go - no TV during this time unfortunately.
post #141 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 08:20 PM
Rookie

Hi!

TV AUDIO PROBLEM:
I am in Montreal near the olympic stadium. I am having audio dropout (about 1/5 of a sec every 30 secs or so) but the video is fine. I am having this problem on CBC french HD channel (movie) while the PVR is recording another HD channel. Its the first time I have notice the problem but its only been 3 days since the install. I am using an HDMI cable that goes into a Sony AV receiver then into a TV, so the sound is handle by the Sony system.

INTERNET:
I have bell fibe 10 for the internet connection and its giving me 1.2 mb download speed, which is exactly what it should be. Wifi works fine with my Ipad, my iphone 3gs, my AppleTV and my Ipod touch. I also have a triple boot OS-X/Win7/Linux and the network works fine in all 3 OS.

Bell equipment is more advanced than Videotron but it remain to be seen if its reliable. Will be monitoring the installation and report further problems.

Last edited by herba; 2011-01-08 at 08:56 PM.
post #142 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Audio problem

Digital audio dropout work around -> downgrade to stereo.
Go into menu, select settings, select general, select digital audio then set it to stereo. Save it.

Since others have reported they have audio problem with optical audio cable too, its pretty obvious the problem is in the digital audio encoding on Bell side.

What happens is digital audio is not decode by Bell settopbox but is just relay to your AV receiver (HDMI/optical). It seems some AV receiver are unable to decode the audio fast enough and sometimes have to "skip ahead" at audio sync markers.

So Bell need to work on there audio encoding and maybe on the decoding side in the box if there is decompressing before the audio is passthrough. I think I saw a comment somewhere that bell is compressing the audio and if they are relaying this to the AV receiver than there is the problem right there. The audio needs to meet dolby 5.1 audio specifications to be properly decode.

Last edited by herba; 2011-01-08 at 11:51 PM.
post #143 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 12:03 AM

I m in Anjou and i have none of the problems that you reported , my present connection where i have my PVR are component to tv with audio and i have a optical going to my Pioneer receiver and i never ever had drop outs . Also since other users had the issue with HDMI i tried during one week with HDMI to receiver and also never had drop outs . 1.2 mbps download on fibe 10 i have to say that you have a problem with your line .
post #144 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-09, 10:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
I m in Anjou and i have none of the problems that you reported , my present connection where i have my PVR are component to tv with audio and i have a optical going to my Pioneer receiver and i never ever had drop outs . Also since other users had the issue with HDMI i tried during one week with HDMI to receiver and also never had drop outs . 1.2 mbps download on fibe 10 i have to say that you have a problem with your line .
For my internet download speed its 1.2 megaBYTES not bits, so 10 Mbps =10000 Kbps = 1.25 MB/sec. I am giving that number because when you download a file, its in bytes/sec not in bits/sec. I have download several files and my best speed is 1.2 MB/sec, which is what Fibe 10 speed should be.

I think my connection is perfectly fine, I did a stress test with 2 SD, 2 HD channel running and an internet download at 1.2 MB/sec. Everything was working just fine with all that going on at the same time. Its pretty remarkable all that is going through the bell little copper cable. The installation guy even told me they could go has high has 100 mbps with a firmware patch, so there is room to growth. But since its a new technology they set it a 27 mbps to be safe.

For the audio problem I will go buy an optical cable since the problem may indeed be related to HDMI. But since several clients of Bell and AT&T have reported problems even with optical, it may also not be the HDMI.

Last edited by herba; 2011-01-09 at 10:48 PM.
post #145 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 03:36 AM

it shouldn't matter what you're watching and/or recording on your tv; i was told by an internet rep that it's two seperate connections - only the limits of the router apply. one time, my internet connection died for several hours and i was still able to watch tv.

i suppose it's also the reason why they're able to offer fibe 25 along side the tv service - if it were a single 25mbps connection, that would be impossible!
post #146 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 05:34 PM

It actually is a single 25mbps connection. Your TV may have been working only because Bell's internet link was down. The TV portion is on a private network and not on the internet.

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
post #147 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjones View Post
it shouldn't matter what you're watching and/or recording on your tv; i was told by an internet rep that it's two seperate connections - only the limits of the router apply. one time, my internet connection died for several hours and i was still able to watch tv.

i suppose it's also the reason why they're able to offer fibe 25 along side the tv service - if it were a single 25mbps connection, that would be impossible!
Yep, but "should" and "reality" are often 2 completely different things. I work in IT and I see things that "should" work but doesn't all the time.
post #148 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-10, 07:53 PM
Rookie

It's one physical cable pair between your modem and the network distribution device. That's shared bandwidth between your internet and video. Once on the network then the video and internet "paths" are seperate.
post #149 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

To those members in the Beach area, in the last 2 weeks I've noticed numerous occurrances of pixelation and freezing as well as the info menu popping up a couple of times every day. I'm wondering if a release was implemented recently because since that 'infamous' last release fix everthing was going really well - no problems until 2 weeks ago.
Anyone else experiencing these problems?
post #150 of 707 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 02:42 PM

I'm not in the Beach area, but I've had the same pixelation/freezing issue from day 1. I've only seen the info menu bug 2-3 times, however. They have sent over 5 technicians and it has not improved at all. They keep telling me their monitoring tools report no problems.

I was getting annoyed so I started poking around on google and found an application that monitors mediaroom installations, for AT&T's u-verse. The application came with detailed technical mediaroom information and it allowed me to write an application that analyzes my IPTV streams for missing, out of order and corrupted packets. To my surprise, everything looks perfect. Sure there are 1-2 missing packets here and there (maybe 2 per hour), but that shouldn't be enough to cause the pixelation/freezing. On top of that, the pixelation/freezing occurs when my streams are 100% perfect, just as Bell is reporting.

So what could be causing this? Problems with the encoder? If so, wouldn't everyone be affected? Problems at the CO? Don't think so? Problem with the PVR/Cellpipe? They've been replaced twice.

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in